+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

From WH visa to YP visa

AvianPow

Mar 5, 2014
Hi there. i was hoping to get some clarification.

I am currently working in canada on a working holiday visa and my visa is due to expire may 8th.
Currently i have been working as a baker for 10 months. and would love to continue working here.

Unfortunately my company has a strict policy of not getting involved with immigration and thus will not help me get an LMO/work permit.

The criteria of the young professional visa seemed a bit unclear to me.

Could i apply for it? i have no educational certificate for my current job but had on the job training.
I think i won't be able to get it but am desperate to stay in this country with my girlfriend and all that we have build up this year

Thank you for any and all advice.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
AvianPow said:
Hi there. i was hoping to get some clarification.

I am currently working in canada on a working holiday visa and my visa is due to expire may 8th.
Currently i have been working as a baker for 10 months. and would love to continue working here.

Unfortunately my company has a strict policy of not getting involved with immigration and thus will not help me get an LMO/work permit.

The criteria of the young professional visa seemed a bit unclear to me.

Could i apply for it? i have no educational certificate for my current job but had on the job training.
I think i won't be able to get it but am desperate to stay in this country with my girlfriend and all that we have build up this year

Thank you for any and all advice.
One of the requirements is, that your job offer is related to your education. If that's not the case, you can still
go ahead and apply, as it looks like it's the only chance for you to get another work permit if your company is not
willing to go the LMO route.
Not sure what nationality you are, but some countries also are eligible to apply for a second whp visa.

AvianPow

Mar 5, 2014
I'm from the Netherlands so unfortunately can't apply for a second WH visa.

Is there an actual chance that i can still get the YP work permit even if the job offer is not related to my education?
Or would they just see that it isn't and won't look at the rest?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

The iec website says:

To be eligible for the Young Professionals category, you must:

have received a signed letter of offer or contract of employment or internship in Canada that is related to your field of professional expertise (degree and/or work experience) and that supports your career development (progression or lateral movement).

which to me sounds like there is a bit of lee way with just having work experience related to the job

sophie_fr

Jan 28, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-04-2013
AOR Received.
19-06-2013
Med's Request
19-02-2014
Med's Done....
21-02-2014
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
27-03-2014
LANDED..........
06-04-2014
Hi AvianPow,

I also arrived in Canada on a WH visa and then applied for a YP work permit. I had studied tourism management in France and my job in Canada at the time was executive assistant in a marketing office. I got my YP with no issues in one month. Baker might be a little more tricky though. Is there any way that you could have at least one job duty that could match a subject in your post-secondary education?

Honestly, your options are very limited so you should try to apply for the YP anyway. Worst come to worst you lose the $150-$200 application fee. But I think your main worry should be the quota, I don't think there are many spots available, if any.

AvianPow

Mar 5, 2014
Thanks sofie,

I did just realise the quota is already filled and i would be put on the waiting list..

jordiselgas

Mar 31, 2014
Hi guys! I wAnt to get an incorporation for working as a self-employed (I have the WHV and it is correct to do) for a constructor business. These people want me to work the whole year and to get the YP I Got the job offer letter from this company, and now I can apply for the YP and we will see if I will get it because in Spain we have a rule that says:you can apply for a second opportunity and visa in the IEC after 3 months your first visa expires, and I want to get the YP the day after my WHV expires...
But the question I want to say is: Could I continue as a self-employed with the young professional?
Thanks!
Jordi