+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

former refugee, now a Canadian citizen being sent to a secondary screening every time coming back to Canada

Tamiou

Feb 5, 2021
I am a former refugee, being granted a convention refugee status in 2014. I became a Canadian citizen last year and already got a Canadian passport. Since I became a Canadian citizen, I've noticed that every time I came back to Canada from travelling abroad I was sent to a secondary screening at Canadian airports. My job requires me to travel a lot. It is not a big issue if my arrival flights land in Vancouver airport which is my home airport. Nevertheless, when I land at other Canadian airports from abroad connecting a domestic flight to Vancouver, this becomes a big issue because being sent to an unreasonable secondary screening every time resulted in me missing domestic connecting flights back to Vancouver. All the immigration officers at Vancouver,Toronto and Montreal airports told me that I don't have other issues besides making a refugee claim in 2014 which triggered an inactive deportation notice. They all told me that this should be stopped since I've already become a Canadian citizen. I should not be sent to a secondary screening to inspect the travel document like when I still used the refugee travel document. Officers at the airports all suggested that I call IRCC. Once I called IRCC, they told me that this is not their responsibility, and told me to call Canada Border Services Agency ( CBSA ) to fix the issue. When I called CBSA they told me this is also not their responsibility, and told me to contact IRCC. As a Canadian citizen, I think it is unfair to be treated like this. This is so frustrated. What should I do next? Shoul I consider hiring a lawyer to sue?
My friend is facing the same issue.
She was a former refugee,became Canadian citizen this may. She travel to the US for one day trip last week,when she was coming back they sent her for secondary screening and told her specifically that she has an alert on her passport because she was a former refugee. They told her she is not the only one with this problem and she should contact her MP cause IRCC promise to fix this issue but never did.

mafghan

Oct 24, 2022
Reactions: Mano1110786

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
Good Morning and good news!!!
Finally I’m free.. no red flag anymore. I came back to Canada after 20 days and in my arrival I even no one asked me to go for secondary check! Allhumdullilah

Reactions: Askhar131