+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

former refugee, now a Canadian citizen being sent to a secondary screening every time coming back to Canada

fedexfc

Apr 1, 2021
I am a former refugee, being granted a convention refugee status in 2014. I became a Canadian citizen last year and already got a Canadian passport. Since I became a Canadian citizen, I've noticed that every time I came back to Canada from travelling abroad I was sent to a secondary screening at Canadian airports. My job requires me to travel a lot. It is not a big issue if my arrival flights land in Vancouver airport which is my home airport. Nevertheless, when I land at other Canadian airports from abroad connecting a domestic flight to Vancouver, this becomes a big issue because being sent to an unreasonable secondary screening every time resulted in me missing domestic connecting flights back to Vancouver. All the immigration officers at Vancouver,Toronto and Montreal airports told me that I don't have other issues besides making a refugee claim in 2014 which triggered an inactive deportation notice. They all told me that this should be stopped since I've already become a Canadian citizen. I should not be sent to a secondary screening to inspect the travel document like when I still used the refugee travel document. Officers at the airports all suggested that I call IRCC. Once I called IRCC, they told me that this is not their responsibility, and told me to call Canada Border Services Agency ( CBSA ) to fix the issue. When I called CBSA they told me this is also not their responsibility, and told me to contact IRCC. As a Canadian citizen, I think it is unfair to be treated like this. This is so frustrated. What should I do next? Shoul I consider hiring a lawyer to sue?

Last edited:

UglyGoat

Jul 7, 2023
I am a former refugee, being granted a convention refugee status in 2014. I became a Canadian citizen last year and already got a Canadian passport. Since I became a Canadian citizen, I've noticed that every time I came back to Canada from travelling abroad I was sent to a secondary screening at Canadian airports. My job requires me to travel a lot. It is not a big issue if my arrival flights land in Vancouver airport which is my home airport. Nevertheless, when I land at other Canadian airports from abroad connecting a domestic flight to Vancouver, this becomes a big issue because being sent to an unreasonable secondary screening every time resulted in me missing domestic connecting flights back to Vancouver. All the immigration officers at Vancouver,Toronto and Montreal airports told me that I don't have other issues besides making a refugee claim in 2014 which triggered an inactive deportation notice. They all told me that this should be stopped since I've already become a Canadian citizen. I should not be sent to a secondary screening to inspect the travel document like when I still used the refugee travel document. Officers at the airports all suggested that I call IRCC. Once I called IRCC, they told me that this is not their responsibility, and told me to call Canada Border Services Agency ( CBSA ) to fix the issue. When I called CBSA they told me this is also not their responsibility, and told me to contact IRCC. As a Canadian citizen, I think it is unfair to be treated like this. This is so frustrated. What should I do next? Shoul I consider hiring a lawyer to sue?
Did you ever get this fixed? Have you tried contacting your MP? I am running into the same issue. Canadian citizen but get sent to secondary, only for them to look at my passport and let me leave.

Reactions: Mano1110786

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
MP would be the one who may be able to help not MPP. Also partially depends on why you were being flagged and where you are travelling from but if it is purely because you were a protected person you should be able to remove the flag.

Reactions: Mano1110786

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
Hi
I recently became Canadian citizen and planning to travel. I already contacted IRCC who forwarded me to CBSA from where I got a reply that should call IRCC again which I find I don’t at all,
Can someone help me to get that flag be removed from my status ?

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
MP would be the one who may be able to help not MPP. Also partially depends on why you were being flagged and where you are travelling from but if it is purely because you were a protected person you should be able to remove the flag.
Hi
You have always helped me before!!
can you plz guide me what to do? As I need to go back home to meet my sister plzz

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
Hi Dud you manage to get that flag removed from your status?? Please reply me thankz

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
Did you ever get this fixed? Have you tried contacting your MP? I am running into the same issue. Canadian citizen but get sent to secondary, only for them to look at my passport and let me leave.
Hi
I’m in the same Situation now and totally blank, don’t know what to do? Can you plz help

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
It’s the secondary check while entering Canada
Reach out to IRCC to remove the flag, thats all you can do. But i don't think being subjected to secondary check should be so frustrating, other Citizens go there as well when required by CBSA.... It is there for reason