+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Form B4 (Goods to Follow/Accompanying List): How to ???

dhusseini

Sep 2, 2011
Hello all,

For the benefit of all those planning to go for a short landing trip and will return to settle later, and are wondering about when to submit the B4 forms: I inquired from the CBSA via their web site, and received the response quoted below in bold (I'm also including my question).

Question: We will be making our first landing in Canada as immigrants next week. However, this is going to be a short visit (15 days to a month), and therefore, we do not satisfy the "settler" requirements (ie. intention to reside in Canada for a period in excess of 12 months). My question relates to when we should present form B4 (with lists of goods accompanying and goods to follow) upon entering Canada. Should we submit form B4 now, or when we subsequently return with the intention of settling in Canada? (this could be within 9-18 months)

CBSA Response:
"A settler describes all who enter Canada with the intention of establishing a residence for the first time and for a period of not less than 12 months

Before you settle in Canada, you must prepare two copies of a list, preferably typed, detailing all household and personal goods you are bringing into the country. Your list should describe the goods, giving such details as the value, make, model, and serial number of each item, particularly high-value items. Please note that we require the current value of goods, not the replacement value. The list should be divided into two parts, showing which items are accompanying the owner at the time of arrival and which items are to arrive at a later date as “goods to follow.”

For general household items such as books or clothing, a group listing and overall value is sufficient (e.g., kitchen utensils – $000). Since jewellery is difficult to describe accurately, it is best to use the wording from your insurance policy or jeweller's appraisal and to include photographs that have been dated and signed by the jeweller or a gemologist. This information makes it easier to identify the jewellery when you first enter Canada, and later if you return from a trip abroad with this jewellery.

When you arrive in Canada you will have to give your list of goods to the border services officer, even if you do not have the goods with you at the time. Based on the list of goods you submit the officer will complete Form B4, Personal Effects Accounting Document, for you, assign a file number to your B4 form, and give you a copy of the completed form as a receipt. You will need to present your copy of the form to claim free importation of your unaccompanied goods when they arrive.

Memorandum D2-2-1, Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00, provides information about the B4 forms for people settling in Canada. It can be found at:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

Should you require additional assistance with your inquiry, we recommend that you contact the Border Information Service (BIS). You can access the BIS line free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. If you are calling from outside Canada, you can access the BIS line by calling either 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges will apply). If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak to an officer by pressing “0” after you have made a selection of one of the 4 menu options.

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency."

Therefore, we will NOT submit the B4 form during our short landing next week, but rather when we go to Canada to settle.

Hope that's helpful!

humsafar

Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with initial application
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS 19-10-2011
Med's Request
20-07-2012
Med's Done....
25-08-2012 received in London 31-08-2012
dhusseini said:
Hello all,

For the benefit of all those planning to go for a short landing trip and will return to settle later, and are wondering about when to submit the B4 forms: I inquired from the CBSA via their web site, and received the response quoted below in bold (I'm also including my question).

Question: We will be making our first landing in Canada as immigrants next week. However, this is going to be a short visit (15 days to a month), and therefore, we do not satisfy the "settler" requirements (ie. intention to reside in Canada for a period in excess of 12 months). My question relates to when we should present form B4 (with lists of goods accompanying and goods to follow) upon entering Canada. Should we submit form B4 now, or when we subsequently return with the intention of settling in Canada? (this could be within 9-18 months)

CBSA Response:
"A settler describes all who enter Canada with the intention of establishing a residence for the first time and for a period of not less than 12 months

Before you settle in Canada, you must prepare two copies of a list, preferably typed, detailing all household and personal goods you are bringing into the country. Your list should describe the goods, giving such details as the value, make, model, and serial number of each item, particularly high-value items. Please note that we require the current value of goods, not the replacement value. The list should be divided into two parts, showing which items are accompanying the owner at the time of arrival and which items are to arrive at a later date as “goods to follow.”

For general household items such as books or clothing, a group listing and overall value is sufficient (e.g., kitchen utensils – $000). Since jewellery is difficult to describe accurately, it is best to use the wording from your insurance policy or jeweller's appraisal and to include photographs that have been dated and signed by the jeweller or a gemologist. This information makes it easier to identify the jewellery when you first enter Canada, and later if you return from a trip abroad with this jewellery.

When you arrive in Canada you will have to give your list of goods to the border services officer, even if you do not have the goods with you at the time. Based on the list of goods you submit the officer will complete Form B4, Personal Effects Accounting Document, for you, assign a file number to your B4 form, and give you a copy of the completed form as a receipt. You will need to present your copy of the form to claim free importation of your unaccompanied goods when they arrive.

Memorandum D2-2-1, Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00, provides information about the B4 forms for people settling in Canada. It can be found at:

Should you require additional assistance with your inquiry, we recommend that you contact the Border Information Service (BIS). You can access the BIS line free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. If you are calling from outside Canada, you can access the BIS line by calling either 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges will apply). If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak to an officer by pressing “0” after you have made a selection of one of the 4 menu options.

Therefore, we will NOT submit the B4 form during our short landing next week, but rather when we go to Canada to settle.

Hope that's helpful!

Hi Husseini, Can you please share the e-mail address to which you have sent the question, I have been trying to find it on CBSA site but it is not available only phone numbers are mentioned.

Thank you

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
humsafar said:
Hi Husseini, Can you please share the e-mail address to which you have sent the question, I have been trying to find it on CBSA site but it is not available only phone numbers are mentioned.

Thank you
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/menu-eng.html

Donx

Feb 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-09
Doc's Request.
12-02-10/ SENT: 04-06-10
AOR Received.
16-07-10
File Transfer...
17-02-10
Med's Request
07-02-12
Med's Done....
27-02-12 (RECVD 08-03-12)
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
17-07-12
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-12
LANDED..........
FEB 2013
Thanks a bunch for this!!

humsafar

Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-01-2011
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
IN PROCESS 19-10-2011
Med's Request
20-07-2012
Med's Done....
25-08-2012 received in London 31-08-2012
steaky said:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/menu-eng.html
Thanks Steaky,

I checked this website earlier I don't know how I missed this e-mail part.

anyways thanks for your assistance.

atifhassankhan

Star Member
Jan 26, 2010
dhusseini said:
Hello all,

CBSA Response:

Hope that's helpful!

Hi, what i understand is taht

The definition of a settler is clearly given but the followng para says u have to present the list and get them stamped when u come first time and later u have to show the stamped copy when u come latther with the goods

atif

dhusseini

Sep 2, 2011
Humsafar,

My apologies for the late reply. I've been busy packing and haven't been able to check the forums since I last posted. I sent the CSBA my question by email to the same address in the link: Contact @ cbsa.gc.ca

Thank you very much Steaky for providing the link.

Atif,

As you mention, the definition of "Settler" is clearly given: for you to be defined as such you must enter Canada with the intention of establishing a residence for the first time, AND for a period of no less than 12 months.

This establishes your eligibility for the customs concession (tax free entry of your goods) aka. B4 forms. Meaning that you only qualify if you are a "Settler".

In fact, on the B4 form you have to check the box confirming that: "I am entering Canada with the intention of establishing, for the first time, a permanent residence for a period in excess of 12 months and I arrived in Canada on __________________ "

The second paragraph is founded on that definition of settler, and tells you what to do in sequence. It starts by saying "Before you settle in Canada" you will make the lists and fill your forms, and then "When you arrive in Canada" you'll give the list to the officer. There is no contradiction.

Otherwise, if you fill out the B4 form when you are not planning to "settle", you would be giving a fraudulent answer when you check the box on the form saying that you have the intention to stay for more than 12 months when you clearly don't. Your call.

Shaikhzees

Star Member
Aug 17, 2012
Dear All,

Two questions regarding Form B4A i.e. "Goods Accompanying List" :

Q1). If i am landing for the first time in Jan and second & last time in June, first of all, how would i know, with accuracy, what would i be bringling along with me on my second visit.

And even if i knew this and also list this on the form - but when the time came for my actual second visit, due to some reasons, i am not carrying those goods or carrying it in greater / lesser value as claimed initially.

So is this perfectly ok and fine? Kindly advise.

Q2). Is "Goods Accompanying List" only applicable if some of the goods are coming via cargo in a couple of days time after my landing OR it also applies to my second visit a few months later.

Thanks in advance to all you champions and teachers of this forum out there!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Shaikhzees said:
Dear All,

Two questions regarding Form B4A i.e. "Goods Accompanying List" :

Q1). If i am landing for the first time in Jan and second & last time in June, first of all, how would i know, with accuracy, what would i be bringling along with me on my second visit.

And even if i knew this and also list this on the form - but when the time came for my actual second visit, due to some reasons, i am not carrying those goods or carrying it in greater / lesser value as claimed initially.

So is this perfectly ok and fine? Kindly advise.

Q2). Is "Goods Accompanying List" only applicable if some of the goods are coming via cargo in a couple of days time after my landing OR it also applies to my second visit a few months later.

Thanks in advance to all you champions and teachers of this forum out there!
Hi,

1. "Landing", as we discuss here, denotes ur 1st entry into Canada to complete ur 'record of landing' & becoming a PR. Our subsequent entries into Canada do not fall under that term. It's always advisable to get ur B4s (especially the GTF) stamped upon 'landing'. U could fill it with as much goods as u desire/can... it doesn't matter if some (or many) of them might not (or never) be brought into Canada anytime. The idea is to play safe.

2. Anything that is not on u, while 'landing' at the Canadian POE, isn't a GAL good... these need to be filed in the GTF (goods which will be arriving into Canada later, after u have arrived). The GTF doesn't only belong to 'cargo stuff' -- it's also for things that u might bring in 'on-person' at the POE. And the GTF is lifelong... meaning: once stamped - u could bring ur 'listed goods' Duty Free FOREVER, in whatever mode of transportation, by whoever is part of the application (not necessarily the PA).

Qorax

Shaikhzees

Star Member
Aug 17, 2012
Dear Brother Qorax,

Search this entire forum, but couldnt locate any help regarding the "Disembarkation Card", that's why i am forced to used this topic for this.

Below are my questions regarding Disembarkation Card, hoping you could help me out of this as well :

1).PART A - "Home Address" - which address needs to be mentioned here.

2). PART B - "Visitors to Canada" - here we need to mention "Duration of stay in Canada". Here my family would
stay for good and myself would return after 30 days. So what should i state in this line.

3).In the end, against every person, we need to mention the "Value of Goods in CAN $ (purchased or received abroad)". What is this. Didn't get this at all.

Thanks in advance !!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Shaikhzees said:
Search this entire forum, but couldnt locate any help regarding the "Disembarkation Card", that's why i am forced to used this topic for this.
Are you talking about the Declaration Card you received in the airplane?

Since you are a newcomer and intent to settle in Canada for good, you will be classify as Residents of Canada. For home address, if you had arranged a place to live in Canada prior to your arrival, fill in that address. If not, just give the explanation to the Immigration Officer. Skip Part B and go to Part C. You can leave value of Goods in Can$ purchased or received abroad blank because it's not applicable to you at this time. But upon future returns to Canada, you will have to write the value of goods purchased or received abroad on this form and might have to pay duty if the amount you wrote is in excess of certain amount set by the Canadian government. For more information, you can read this website:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5056-eng.html#s2x9

Be sure to complete your B4 prior to arrival. Have a nice trip!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Shaikhzees said:
Dear Brother Qorax,

Below are my questions regarding Disembarkation Card, hoping you could help me out of this as well :

1).PART A - "Home Address" - which address needs to be mentioned here.

2). PART B - "Visitors to Canada" - here we need to mention "Duration of stay in Canada". Here my family would
stay for good and myself would return after 30 days. So what should i state in this line.

3).In the end, against every person, we need to mention the "Value of Goods in CAN $ (purchased or received abroad)". What is this. Didn't get this at all.

Thanks in advance !!

Canada "Declaration Card" sample:

qorax said:
1. Yes, in Cash, DDs &/or TCs.
2. Customs Declaration Card:

Qorax
1. (A) Ur Canadian Address.
2. (B) Doesn't apply to u... u r not a 'visitor', but here for 'landing' & settling (even if u r not doing it now).
3. Not applicable to u guys. It's for ppl who r returning to Canada or r visitors & have [this time] bought goods abroad. U just put "N/A".

Qorax

Shaikhzees

Star Member
Aug 17, 2012
Dear Steaky & Qorax,

Who are you guys?? No seriously tell us, pls who you really are.
In todays world, helping others and that also to strangers, to such and extent, and that also in such an important phase of their lives, is really commend arable and needs to highly appreciated. i got answer to my question in no time and with full clarity.

Thanks to both of you from the bottom of my heart !!

You both have cleared out all my doubts regarding this Disembarkation Card. I'll definetly post my landing journey, once i am back. As qorax has rightly stated to ""Do your little bit of good where you are . . ."

Thanks to all of champs & seniors out there !!

Colors

Aug 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
SVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Hi,

1. "Landing", as we discuss here, denotes ur 1st entry into Canada to complete ur 'record of landing' & becoming a PR. Our subsequent entries into Canada do not fall under that term. It's always advisable to get ur B4s (especially the GTF) stamped upon 'landing'. U could fill it with as much goods as u desire/can... it doesn't matter if some (or many) of them might not (or never) be brought into Canada anytime. The idea is to play safe.

2. Anything that is not on u, while 'landing' at the Canadian POE, isn't a GAL good... these need to be filed in the GTF (goods which will be arriving into Canada later, after u have arrived). The GTF doesn't only belong to 'cargo stuff' -- it's also for things that u might bring in 'on-person' at the POE. And the GTF is lifelong... meaning: once stamped - u could bring ur 'listed goods' Duty Free FOREVER, in whatever mode of transportation, by whoever is part of the application (not necessarily the PA).

Qorax
Dear Qorax
In case of General items such as Books, Cloths, do we require to fill the B4 form
Thanks