+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

For Biometrics, do I really need to go outside Canada?

leo4bilal

Mar 16, 2012
Lahore
Visa Office......
CHC ISBD
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Feb-2012
IELTS Request
7.5 Bands
File Transfer...
14-Feb-2012
Med's Request
15-Aug-2012
Med's Done....
22-Aug-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Sent after medical on 28-Aug-2012
VISA ISSUED...
06-Nov-2012
LANDED..........
In sha Allah on 11th-Dec-2012
Hello everyone,

I am an in-Canada PR applicant. I received a "Biometrics Instruction Letter" from CIC in lieu of my PR application which states as follows:

"If you received this letter you must give your biometrics before coming to Canada and are not eligible to have your fingerprints and photograph taken at a Canadian port of entry. If you are already in Canada, you will have to leave the country to provide your biometrics"

I am worried to read the statement in Bold as I my Work Permit and Visa has been expired which means that I cannot enter Canada again and there are no Biometrics Collection Service Points in Canada at the moment. The CIC website says that starting 2019 select Service Canada locations will offer Biometrics services. I contacted CBSA for Biometrics they informed that they cannot process me if I am already in Canada. In order for CBSA to process my Biometrics I may have to leave and then re-enter Canada which does not seem possible as my Visa is expired.

I am confused and alarmed. Please guide me on this if anyone knows. What is the best line of action?

Ask me for more details if anyone would like to help. Thanks a lot!

FYI, I have applied for Briding Work Permit as well to keep working with the employer.

leo4bilal

Mar 16, 2012
Lahore
Visa Office......
CHC ISBD
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Feb-2012
IELTS Request
7.5 Bands
File Transfer...
14-Feb-2012
Med's Request
15-Aug-2012
Med's Done....
22-Aug-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
06-Nov-2012
LANDED..........
Anyone Please?

Raz0r

Jul 9, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am an in-Canada PR applicant. I received a "Biometrics Instruction Letter" from CIC in lieu of my PR application which states as follows:

"If you received this letter you must give your biometrics before coming to Canada and are not eligible to have your fingerprints and photograph taken at a Canadian port of entry. If you are already in Canada, you will have to leave the country to provide your biometrics"

I am worried to read the statement in Bold as I my Work Permit and Visa has been expired which means that I cannot enter Canada again and there are no Biometrics Collection Service Points in Canada at the moment. The CIC website says that starting 2019 select Service Canada locations will offer Biometrics services. I contacted CBSA for Biometrics they informed that they cannot process me if I am already in Canada. In order for CBSA to process my Biometrics I may have to leave and then re-enter Canada which does not seem possible as my Visa is expired.

I am confused and alarmed. Please guide me on this if anyone knows. What is the best line of action?

FYI, I have applied for Briding Work Permit as well to keep working with the employer.
Forgive me if I am mistaken, but do you mean to say that you are Illegally residing in Canada as of now?

Reactions: anijaharjith

Peacekeeper87

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2018
NOC Code......
Hello everyone,

@philus has the same experience as you. He's just arrived in the U.S from Canada as we speak, to give biometrics. He received the same request.
Yes you do need to leave Canada to give biometrics.

Info I found:
If you’re from a visa-required country
You’ll need a valid visa and a valid work permit to return to Canada to work. You don’t need a valid visa if you return directly from a visit only to the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon. You must re-apply for a visitor visa if your visa:
  • has expired or
  • was only valid for a single entry to Canada
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/extend.html#worker_travel

However, inform IRCC of your situation via Webform, and make sure you can do it.

Last edited:

philus

Oct 14, 2016
Yes, you need to do it outside Canada. However, you need a valid 'permit to reenter Canada (TRV is not needed - I've used my study permit only to travel by land up to 5 times, and additional 2 times by air, only that you must be ready for a delay by airlines (and border staff at the airport) to explain why you don't need a visa).

I posted my US experience in this forum on my way to Seattle for biometrics. I will advise you have a primary reason of going to the US when you are going for your biometrics as the border patrol guy delayed me asking series of question. It was strange to him why I would need to leave Canada to do a biometrics in the US.

I still don't understand why something like this can't be done at a POE. CIC may have a genuine reason but sometimes it sucks to see stuff like this from the government. BUT again, it's a price to pay in addition to the huge money already spent.

PS. If you plan on going to USCIS, make sure you call them the day you want to go before you leave - if this year. I was there yesterday only to see that the office was closed despite calling them to confirm few days before leaving if the office will be open :-(

Raz0r

Jul 9, 2017
Yes, you need to do it outside Canada. However, you need a valid 'permit to reenter Canada (TRV is not needed - I've used my study permit only to travel by land up to 5 times, and additional 2 times by air, only that you must be ready for a delay by airlines (and border staff at the airport) to explain why you don't need a visa).

I posted my US experience in this forum on my way to Seattle for biometrics. I will advise you have a primary reason of going to the US when you are going for your biometrics as the border patrol guy delayed me asking series of question. It was strange to him why I would need to leave Canada to do a biometrics in the US.

I still don't understand why something like this can't be done at a POE. CIC may have a genuine reason but sometimes it sucks to see stuff like this from the government. BUT again, it's a price to pay in addition to the huge money already spent.

PS. If you plan on going to USCIS, make sure you call them the day you want to go before you leave - if this year. I was there yesterday only to see that the office was closed despite calling them to confirm few days before leaving if the office will be open :-(
The OP is illegally staying in Canada?

leo4bilal

Mar 16, 2012
Lahore
Visa Office......
CHC ISBD
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Feb-2012
IELTS Request
7.5 Bands
File Transfer...
14-Feb-2012
Med's Request
15-Aug-2012
Med's Done....
22-Aug-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
06-Nov-2012
LANDED..........
Forgive me if I am mistaken, but do you mean to say that you are Illegally residing in Canada as of now?
FYI, I had applied for Bridging Open Work Permit extension as well as PR before my current status had expired. I think I was not staying illegally as per CIC

leo4bilal

Mar 16, 2012
Lahore
Visa Office......
CHC ISBD
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Feb-2012
IELTS Request
7.5 Bands
File Transfer...
14-Feb-2012
Med's Request
15-Aug-2012
Med's Done....
22-Aug-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
06-Nov-2012
LANDED..........
Hi,
Does your query get resolved? Can you pleasw provide an update?
Hi. I feel like it got resolved as I dont see my application cancelled because of not providing Biometrics. I had informed CIC of my situation via Wb Form. And also I learnt that In-Canada PR applicants are exempt from having to give their Biometrics until CIC establishes Service points in 2019.
I quoted these instances of this text from CIC website in my letter of explanation that I submitted via web form.

KingTech

Star Member
Sep 15, 2018
Hi. I feel like it got resolved as I dont see my application cancelled because of not providing Biometrics. I had informed CIC of my situation via Wb Form. And also I learnt that In-Canada PR applicants are exempt from having to give their Biometrics until CIC establishes Service points in 2019.
I quoted these instances of this text from CIC website in my letter of explanation that I submitted via web form.
What’s CIC response please?

My son, a dependent in my PR application, is studying in Seneca. So far he has only option to apply for US visitor visa just to provide biometrics as requested from CIC.

Shaaaazxx

Mar 20, 2019

Hey,
Actually I am in Canada on a Temporary Resident Visa which is valid for 10 years. I am applying at a College from here and I might have to go back to India to provide my biometrics as I had not got them done for my TRV which I got before the rule was established. Can I go there only for a day or two, give my biometrics and go back to Canada with my TRV? Plus, are there any additional documents required to be submitted while going there for biometrics?

S_r_t_1

Mar 25, 2019
Hi, has your application moved forward? Any update? Am in the same situation as yours, i am on implied status and my Visa extension is in process. I too received this letter for biometrics and am not sure what to do as if i leave the country will not be able to enter again.
Please respond. Your experience will be of great help!

philus

Oct 14, 2016
In my case, I have a US visitor visa, so easy for me to travel out of Canada to do it. For others who are legally in Canada but don't have a US visa I'm afraid you will need to go to the nearest country you are allowed to travel to without a visa (I'll imagine this will be your home country).

Best to contact CIC about any serious situation e.g., no visa to travel back. They may be able to assist by, for example, extending the deadline to submit biometric. You simply have to do it outside Canada...

S_r_t_1

Mar 25, 2019
Thanks for your response ... have submitted a webform and waiting for an answer.
Its absurd though forthem to sendsuch a letter when its already mentioned on their site that for Toronto region Biometrics is not required for now. They are contradicting their own statement.

leo4bilal

Mar 16, 2012
Lahore
Visa Office......
CHC ISBD
NOC Code......
N/A
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-Feb-2012
IELTS Request
7.5 Bands
File Transfer...
14-Feb-2012
Med's Request
15-Aug-2012
Med's Done....
22-Aug-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
06-Nov-2012
LANDED..........
Thanks for your response ... have submitted a webform and waiting for an answer.
Its absurd though forthem to sendsuch a letter when its already mentioned on their site that for Toronto region Biometrics is not required for now. They are contradicting their own statement.
Hi there..... Submitting your letter of explanation through Web Form is the best action. DO NOT LEAVE CANADA FOR BIOMETRICS. The CIC representative had told me that this letter is triggered automatically to the applicant as a part of their progress flow, or could be a mistake. Just explain your situation well that although you are willing to do your Biometrics but there are reasons why you cannot leave Canada at the moment. They will look into it and you might not hear anything back from CIC (not in my case).

I agree with you that they are contradicting their statement. It is a transition as a CIC representative had told me when I called them for guidance. He advised me not to take stress because they are aware of this issue and so many people have facing trouble through this transition phase. Soon they will have Bometrics Collection Points in Canada for In-Canada applicants but they don't know when and until they do not have any service points the temporary Public Policy covers you. So take a deep breath and drop your stress!

Feel free to ask more questions!

Best Wishes!