+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flying within Canada. No status!

zara23

Sep 4, 2017
Hey everyone,

I have a question and I hope you guys can help me.
I have a booked flight from Toronto to Regina. But I'm currently waiting for my restoration status. From what I've read, all I need is my ID ( drivers license ) and I'll be fine, because all they want is to check if the name matches my purchased ticket.
But I emailed my lawyer since she's away and, maybe to be secure, she told me "there's no border control on domestic flights; every person with a valid status can travel within canada". So .. I got lost and worried. I came here and I read some topics and I believe no one will check my "no status" situation. But I would like to be 10000% sure.. I don't want to risk it all now.

Should I be worried and don't go or it's just me being paranoid?

Thank you in advance for the help!!

C

Classic Chucks

The choice is up to you. It is true that there are no immigration officers to check the status. However, for non-Canadian Citizens or non-PR, I believe they ask for the passport as an ID.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hey everyone,

I have a booked flight from Toronto to Regina. But I'm currently waiting for my restoration status. From what I've read, all I need is my ID ( drivers license ) and I'll be fine, because all they want is to check if the name matches my purchased ticket.
But I emailed my lawyer since she's away and, maybe to be secure, she told me "there's no border control on domestic flights; every person with a valid status can travel within canada". So .. I got lost and worried. I came here and I read some topics and I believe no one will check my "no status" situation. But I would like to be 10000% sure.. I don't want to risk it all now.

You should be fine given any check for a domestic flight is a security check to confirm name on ticket/boarding pass matches your ID

Expect you already checked Air Canada but see here anyway https://www.aircanada.com/uk/en/aco/home/plan/travel-requirements/travel-documents.html and yes as a non -PR or citizen unlikely to have any Canadian Government id they would use a passport . If a non-PR has temp residence they may have a government issued id so they could use either one or the other

Last edited:

zara23

Sep 4, 2017
The choice is up to you. It is true that there are no immigration officers to check the status. However, for non-Canadian Citizens or non-PR, I believe they ask for the passport as an ID.

From what I've read here, many people is saying "there's no reason to worry, they only check you ID to match the ticket". And because I have a Canadian drivers license ( all they need, like WestJet told me.. and I'm flying with them ) .. I was thinking trying to understand if there's any chance of being stopped for any reason

zara23

Sep 4, 2017
You should be fine given any check for a domestic flight is a security check to confirm name on ticket/boarding pass matches your ID

Expect you already checked Air Canada but see here anyway https://www.aircanada.com/uk/en/aco/home/plan/travel-requirements/travel-documents.html and yes as a non -PR or citizen unlikely to have any Canadian Government id they would use a passport . If a non-PR has temp residence they may have a government issued id so they could use either one or the other

Yes thank you!
WestJet told me all they need is my drivers license ( and I do have a Canadian one ).
So I was just making sure there's no way my name would pop like "this is non status person" .. Maybe I'm being ridiculous but I don't want to risk anything

C

Classic Chucks

From what I've read here, many people is saying "there's no reason to worry, they only check you ID to match the ticket". And because I have a Canadian drivers license ( all they need, like WestJet told me.. and I'm flying with them ) .. I was thinking trying to understand if there's any chance of being stopped for any reason
Then that's great. I thought you don't have a Canadian ID. You'll be fine. Don't worry.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hey everyone,

border control on domestic flight is random
take with you your passport, just in case
also take with you a copy of the restore application

Reactions: Classic Chucks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
You don't need to bring a passport for a domestic flight.
Not even "just in case", there is no reason to have it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
There are no border controls for domestic flights, so no need to have the passport or the Restoration app.