+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flight choices for those with approved study permits before Match 18, 2020

Peter88

Star Member
Jan 24, 2018
hiiii,

Yes i reached and in quarantine now (today day 4). Planning travel on weekdays would be a better option instead of weekend...IELTS, admission letter, quarantine plan, fees payment receipt are the main documents along with CAQ (if applicable), LOI, passport being asked..Travelled by Air india for domestic sector and Air Canada for international from Delhi. Travel was safe and good.

All the best
Great to hear that Shahin. Did anyone ask you for a travel support letter at any point of your entire journey?

Shahin3583

Jan 22, 2020
Oops...yes..they do ask for travel support letter both at Indian airline counter and at immigration canada
For ex.if you are flying from Delhi then before you go to the international airline counter to do your checkin there are few officers standing in between the queue who check if you have all necessary documents to go to Canada..so you have to show your travel support letter as well. After verifying your docs they allow you to go to the airline counter for checkin. Then when you arrive at Canadian immigration POE they definitely ask for your reason to reach Canada and y not study online from home country..so you need to have your travel support letter and bold enough to explain your reason for arriving in Canada.

Good luck

Reactions: Peter88

neevmagic

Apr 11, 2019
Oops...yes..they do ask for travel support letter both at Indian airline counter and at immigration canada
Hi Shahin,

For Air Canada travel from Delhi Airport in India, did you do web check-in? How did you print the baggage tag?
Are there Air Canada Agents sitting at the check-in counters? Will they let you check-in, issue boarding pass, print baggage tag and let you drop the baggage at the check-in counters? - Like normal times before COVID?

Also, any medical test required to fly Air Canada?

Thanks,
Neev.

Shahin3583

Jan 22, 2020
Hi Shahin,

For Air Canada travel from Delhi Airport in India, did you do web check-in? How did you print the baggage tag?
Are there Air Canada Agents sitting at the check-in counters? Will they let you check-in, issue boarding pass, print baggage tag and let you drop the baggage at the check-in counters? - Like normal times before COVID?

Thanks,
Neev.
I did web check-in from Kochi itself and took the printout... But you don't get any baggage tags and all for our luggages ...it's not like domestic travel in India where they are asking you to print the baggage tags during web checkin ...u just need to take a printout of your web check-in before arriving at airport. Once you arrive there at the airport the officers standing in-between the queue at the air Canada counter will check for your eligibility to travel and then send you to the air Canada counter...then at the counter you will hand over your checkin luggage and get your boarding pass...no tags will be provided ... Collect your boarding pass and proceed to immigration..Good luck

Reactions: Karamjeet@Kaur

inkpot

Star Member
May 22, 2019
hiiii,

Yes i reached and in quarantine now (today day 4). Planning travel on weekdays would be a better option instead of weekend...IELTS, admission letter, quarantine plan, fees payment receipt are the main documents along with CAQ (if applicable), LOI, passport being asked..Travelled by Air india for domestic sector and Air Canada for international from Delhi. Travel was safe and good.

All the best
Hey Shahin, congratulations on the safe journey. I had the same question for you. Do you have an estimate on how many of the students traveling were fully online and were they first timers or returning students?

Also, was anyone being denied entry?

Shahin3583

Jan 22, 2020
Hey Shahin, congratulations on the safe journey. I had the same question for you. Do you have an estimate on how many of the students traveling were fully online and were they first timers or returning students?

Also, was anyone being denied entry?
hiiii

Exactly I cannot say how many students were with fully online classes and all.. but I guess there were students who were giving the reasons of time zone and bandwidth issues. For me it took lot of time to get my immigration, but finally could get through. So in that half a day time i didn't see ( or may be any rare case which i might have not seen) of any student being sent back. So don't worry...be confident and defend yourself with the truth and you will succeed. In my case my confidence and my truthfulness helped me to get through. If you feel you are lacking any of the document or such thing the officer asks for, make sure you are not giving any wrong justification or lying about it.. Be bold enough to say the truth for not having it and it will help you. If you are missing anything, the officers are kind enough to help you out to sort out the things, BUT if you lie for the same then it won't take time for them to deport you back. DO NOT lie to the officer for any point and BE TRUTHFUL that's what my suggestion would be to every student travelling.

All the best to all

Shahin3583

Jan 22, 2020
Hi Shahin,

Thanks,
Neev.
Sorry, I didnt see your last line yesterday i think. Nowhere its mentioned about medical test. But yes its good to have covid negative test results in hand as it was recommended by air india for my domestic sector from kochi to delhi

Reactions: Karamjeet@Kaur

Peter88

Star Member
Jan 24, 2018
For ex.if you are flying from Delhi then before you go to the international airline counter to do your checkin there are few officers standing in between the queue who check if you have all necessary documents to go to Canada..so you have to show your travel support letter as well. After verifying your docs they allow you to go to the airline counter for checkin. Then when you arrive at Canadian immigration POE they definitely ask for your reason to reach Canada and y not study online from home country..so you need to have your travel support letter and bold enough to explain your reason for arriving in Canada.

Good luck
Thanks Shahin for the details explanation and your time.

Jedi_Returns

Star Member
Jul 14, 2019
Anyone here who has student permit stamped before 18th March with synchronous classes and unable to travel as university is not providing support letters? What are you planning to do?

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
You do not need a support letter from your university. This is a HUGE misperception that is shared among many on this forum who don't have a clue about the system.

Neither CBSA nor IRCC list support letters as requirement in determining whether travel is discretionary or not. On the other hand, CBSA just added that taking classes remotely in a time zone that disables the student to effectively participate in the class (read as, in the middle of the night) is an ADDITIONAL reason to have the border agent assess that one's travel is essential. Note that it is only one criterion not the only one. A quick Google search leads you to this added assessment criterium.

Anyone here who has student permit stamped before 18th March with synchronous classes and unable to travel as university is not providing support letters? What are you planning to do?

Reactions: Jedi_Returns

neevmagic

Apr 11, 2019
Sorry, I didnt see your last line yesterday i think. Nowhere its mentioned about medical test. But yes its good to have covid negative test results in hand as it was recommended by air india for my domestic sector from kochi to delhi
Thanks for your help Shahin!!! I wish you all the best for your future endeavors.