+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Flagpoling"

TheDecision

Jan 10, 2011
Rossei said:
I shouldn't discourage but I had a horrible experience about 'flagpoling'.

My friend and I went to Windsor-Detroit border in 2006 (while we were students) with Flagpoling intention carrying the letters for flagpoling issued by our university to have our co-op work permit. Well, it was my first time and his second. He was scolded for at least an hour for flagpoling for the second time and not applying for US Visa meanwhile. The whole waiting room remained pin-drop silent :-\

The lady who was dealing with my friend was like seriously pissed and we coundn't say a word. One thing for sure is that the US Border Customs don't like flagpoling. We were allowed to enter; but after that applied for US Visa :D
It is allowed to apply for US Visa, immediately after your flagpoling?

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
I don't think that anyone can apply for US Visa immediately after flagpoling from Canada. It's not just doable as it takes months to get an appointment for US Visa. Anyway, I applied for it after a year passed.

But just a fruit for thought, you can reason flagpoling to get a US Visa. You can tell the officer that you were told from the border custom that you should get a US Visa to avoid flagpoling in future. Well, my friend did the same.

hardworker

Apr 12, 2010
TheDecision said:
What nationality is your passport, and what kind of US visa did you have?
I don't have a US visa.. passport I used was form Philippines.. like I said the officer just looked at my information page (in US office) he knows the
protocol then sent me on my way back to Canada.

CanadaPC

Star Member
Sep 16, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30/05/2015
Doc's Request.
18/01/2016
Nomination.....
24/03/2015
AOR Received.
17/08/2015
IELTS Request
12/02/2015
Med's Request
Waiting
Rossei said:
I don't think that anyone can apply for US Visa immediately after flagpoling from Canada. It's not just doable as it takes months to get an appointment for US Visa. Anyway, I applied for it after a year passed.

But just a fruit for thought, you can reason flagpoling to get a US Visa. You can tell the officer that you were told from the border custom that you should get a US Visa to avoid flagpoling in future. Well, my friend did the same.
Hi Rossei and everyone

I am from Croatia, TR in BC, Canada while waiting for PNP approval.
I called CIC office and was told that I do need US VISA for the flagpolling.
I can read on this forum that some people did not get it....thats confusing...

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
CanadaPC said:
Hi Rossei and everyone

I am from Croatia, TR in BC, Canada while waiting for PNP approval.
I called CIC office and was told that I do need US VISA for the flagpolling.
I can read on this forum that some people did not get it....thats confusing...
Since you're waiting for your PNP approval; I'm guessing you're on work permit. Then why do you seek to go to US?

BTW, 'flagpoling' is a way to cross border without US Visa to get work permit done at POE or nearby Canadian Consulate when you're a TR in Canada. Since you're from BC, this link will help you understand more:
http://www.visatalk.ca/flagpoling/

CanadaPC

Star Member
Sep 16, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30/05/2015
Doc's Request.
18/01/2016
Nomination.....
24/03/2015
AOR Received.
17/08/2015
IELTS Request
12/02/2015
Med's Request
Waiting
Rossei said:
Since you're waiting for your PNP approval; I'm guessing you're on work permit. Then why do you seek to go to US?

BTW, 'flagpoling' is a way to cross border without US Visa to get work permit done at POE or nearby Canadian Consulate when you're a TR in Canada. Since you're from BC, this link will help you understand more:
http://www.visatalk.ca/flagpoling/
I am visitor, my work permit expired in October and I could not extend it because I came to Canada under IEC program. Anyways, as a visitor now, when PNP comes through, I ll need to do flagpoling. Are you sure that I don't need visa? On the link that you sent it doesn't say anywhere "without US Visa".

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanadaPC said:
I am visitor, my work permit expired in October and I could not extend it because I came to Canada under IEC program. Anyways, as a visitor now, when PNP comes through, I ll need to do flagpoling. Are you sure that I don't need visa? On the link that you sent it doesn't say anywhere "without US Visa".
Flagpoling can also be done to attain/activate your PR status. This may help you - this was the reply of CIC when in an inquiry about the 'flagpole' procedure:
============
Sir, Madam,

Thank you for contacting Citizenship and Immigration Canada. I am pleased to follow up on your request:

Validating a Confirmation of Permanent Residence at a Land Border (Flag Pole Procedure)

Once you get your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) from a Canadian visa office and, if necessary, your permanent resident visa in your passport, you must have these documents validated by an immigration officer at a port of entry. If you did not see an immigration officer when you arrived in Canada and are still in possession of your IMM 5292 or IMM 5688 document, then you must:

Go to the American land border and explain to the officer that you do not want to enter the US; but that you want to return to Canada immediately to validate an immigration document (this is called the flag pole procedure).

Once at the Canadian border, you must show the officer:
- your passport, travel or identity document (including secure visa counterfoil (IMM 1346), if applicable);and
- your Confirmation of Permanent Residence form and instructions issued by the Canadian visa office; and
- your proof of legal status in Canada, such as a valid work permit, study permit, temporary resident permit, or visitor document; or
- any immigration document in your possession (whether valid or not); and
- proof of implied status (if applicable), for example:
payment receipt;
copy of your application;
printout of online application;
proof of mailing.

To find the land border closest to you which offers immigration services, please visit the Canada Border Service Agency Web site.

======

The instructions given to me then was there was no need for a US Visa as there is no intention to enter the US. This is what needs to specifically stated to the US Immigration Officers when upon reaching the US Border. You will be given administrative refusal and given proof (in a slip of paper). Show this to the CBSA officer on your re-entry/return to Canada, and then they will process your "landing" as a PR.

I did the same almost 2 years ago to activate my PR. As this is two years ago - you may want to verify with CBSA (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/menu-eng.html) or with CIC if there have been changes to this procedure. Ask them if the procedure has changed since.

.../all the best

Reactions: akshargajjar

vinem

Feb 15, 2014
Hello Friends,

I am here in Canada on a working holiday visa (IEC) expiring Aug 2016. I had applied for change condition # 3 at the CPC-V and it is almost 2 months and there is no reply. Upon calling CIC , they said it will take more time and suggested you MAY try flag poling. As I have already uploaded the E-Medical reported two moths back,

1. Can I try flag poling procedure?
1. Will the border officers process work permit change condition request at the border?
2. As I have a valid IEC work permit till 2016 and I belong from Ireland ( visa exempt country) ; should I worry about re entering Canada?

Thanks,
Vinem

vinem

Feb 15, 2014
Hello All,

As I have tried the flag poling at the US- Canada border today, I am glad to share some info related to "Work Permit Change Conditions".

I had to change one of the conditions in my IEC work permit which restricted me working in Healthcare Related Job. I had applied for change conditions in paper format to CPC- Vegreville. As I haven't received any response within the specified time, I called up CIC. One of the call center assistant informed that the application has not yet picked. He suggested to try flag poling.

As I had Visa Waiver to Enter USA , I traveled today to USA and came back to Canadian Border through Rainbow Bridge with the work permit. Informed the officer at the booth about the change conditions. He issued an yellow paper and directed us to the CBSE building. An officer asked me to provide the E-Medical Document . He verified it and issued a new Work Permit after condition #3 removed. I have paid $155 as fee.

For those who have no visa to enter USA :Go to USA side and tell the officer that you are here for Work Permit Renewal / Change conditions. They will issue you an administrative Refusal Document and redirect you back to Canada. Go to CBSE and tell inform them about your work permit. They will do it for you.

My suggestion is : For change conditions , its allways better to try at the border before sending application to CPC-V.

Good luck Everyone.

I personally thank all members of this forum, especially PMM.

Reactions: akshargajjar

copper

Jan 11, 2015
hi vinem and canada pc,
i am also here on IEC that will expire on 6th march, can i simply go for flagpole to have a tourist visa 2/3 days before it expires? i am from visa exempt country with us visa waiver.

actually i already applied for my PR under FSTP, my online status is that they received my application on nov 25, 2014, so waiting for AOR. and if that comes before 6th march i think i can get right away my open work permit during flagpole! right ?

my employer also applied for LMIA, in process from 15th dec 2014, but can see on other forums that there is a long waiting time for LMIA, but if this comes before 6th march,i think i can get my work visa based on lmia ! right ?

thanks

sitareh19

Mar 22, 2016
Hi,

Thank you very much for sharing your story. I just would like to know, was there any issue afterwards with your paper application? Did they just disregard it once they opened it in Vegerville?

I want to know if the border CIC and the processing centre communicate with each other when someone decides to flagpole.

Thank you!