+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flagpole/Landing (Co-op work permit) at Queenston-Lewiston Bridge, July 2022

Kaustav

Jul 28, 2022
Hey guys! I am in Canada on student visa and I would like to share my experience with flagpolling with you all.

I went to the Queenston-Lewiston bridge. The entire process was easy but tiring. Usually, people go there by 8 am for flagpolling as recommended by Google. Unfortunately, on the 1st day (26th July) I was a little early (around 7.55 am), so the immigration department of Canada did not accept my documents. They start the process only at 8 am, so one should cross the Canada border between 8 to 8.05 am. They had asked me to go to the US border again, get my refusal from the US consulate and get back to them. By the time I reached the Canada immigration office by 8.30 am for the 2nd time, they had closed the process as their slots got full. Therefore, I had to come back to my home that day with no hope.

Yesterday (27th July), I went there again early morning, yet they did not accept my documents because they had no remaining slots. This time, the US consulate did not return my passport on time. By the time I reached the Canada office, the process was closed. Once again, it was the same story. But I was so stubborn that I immediately left for the Rainbow bridge. At the Rainbow bridge, the officer told me that they do not give the hard copy of the work permits unless someone has the online application approved by the IRCC. According to them, if someone has the work permit approved by the IRCC but has been waiting for the hard copy for a long time, only he or she could get the document from there.

In the meantime, I called the customs office at Queenston-Lewiston to know if they would be re-opening the process. Honestly, the outcome was uncertain. The officer told me that they were not sure if they would be accepting any more flagpoles later during the day because flagpolling is not a priority task for them. But the lady suggested that I should be there again by 2 pm because usually, they re-open the process in the afternoon between 2 to 3 pm or 3 to 4 pm daily. With some hope, I went to the border by 2.15, and finally they accepted my documents!

The officer asked me a few questions about my Co-op and my course. He asked me to show them my offer letter from my university, my Co-op offer letter, proof that I had paid my tuition fees, and my study permit. Fortunately, I could provide them with these documents. Hence, it is always better to take all the documents. After waiting at the office for some time, I received my Co-op work permit.

I hope you all get some help from my thread! I would be happy to help you with your queries.

Chamie0607

Sep 30, 2022
Hi what are the requirements that they ask and you show? I have to get my coop work permit too before my placement starts.

Do they ask about vaccine or rtpcr at the border?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi what are the requirements that they ask and you show? I have to get my coop work permit too before my placement starts.

Do they ask about vaccine or rtpcr at the border?
what???

As of Oct 1
Canada has now ended its COVID-19 travel restrictions, mask mandates
https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/health/coronavirus/canada-has-now-ended-its-covid-19-travel-restrictions-mask-mandates-1.6091709

Another more official source:
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid?utm_campaign=gac-amc-covidoct1-22-23&utm_source=covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada&utm_medium=redirect&utm_content=en

Sadiya1978

Apr 19, 2021