+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First time traveling with Canadian passport

Saucer

Oct 28, 2019
Got my passport a few months ago, and this will be my first time traveling overseas :) I'm currently holding a Vietnamese and Canadian passport (dual citizenship) and want to go back to Vietnam. On the way I want to stop by Japan
A Canadian passport requires a visa to enter vietnam, while a Vietnamese passport I can just walk in. A Canadian passport lets me enter Japan without a visa, and a Vietnamese passport requires a visa to enter the country.

1. Leave Canada, at the border showing my Vietnamese passport to LEAVE the country
2. Enter Vietnam, at the border showing my Vietnamese passport to ENTER the country
3. Leave Vietnam, at the border showing my Vietnamese passport to LEAVE the country
4. Enter Japan, at the border showing my Canadian passport to ENTER the country
5. Leave Japan, at the border showing my Canadian passport to LEAVE the country
6. Enter Canada, at the border showing my Canadian passport to ENTER the country

Does this sound correct/Is there anything I should do different?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Yep, that’s all fine. Always use the “strongest” passport for the country you’re entering. Got told this by a bad-ass career diplomat, one of the most remarkable people I’ve ever met.

Reactions: Saucer and foodie69

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yep, that’s all fine. Always use the “strongest” passport for the country you’re entering. Got told this by a bad-ass career diplomat, one of the most remarkable people I’ve ever met.
True with caveat that if you have citizenship of country you are entering, you should (usually required to) show passport/citizenship of that country to enter.

Also always enter and leave on same passport (to the border control people - airlines are separate, see below).

Got my passport a few months ago, and this will be my first time traveling overseas :) I'm currently holding a Vietnamese and Canadian passport (dual citizenship) and want to go back to Vietnam. On the way I want to stop by Japan
A Canadian passport requires a visa to enter vietnam, while a Vietnamese passport I can just walk in. A Canadian passport lets me enter Japan without a visa, and a Vietnamese passport requires a visa to enter the country.

1. Leave Canada, at the border showing my Vietnamese passport to LEAVE the country
2. Enter Vietnam, at the border showing my Vietnamese passport to ENTER the country
3. Leave Vietnam, at the border showing my Vietnamese passport to LEAVE the country
6. Enter Canada, at the border showing my Canadian passport to ENTER the country

Generally good. Just keep in mind that what you show airlines and what you show 'at border' are distinct things. The airlines want you to show that you can enter the country you are travelling to. Of course they will also want you to show the docs you booked the ticket under, too. They don't mind that you have multiple passports as long as the names match and you look like your picture.

1. Not applicable, Canada has no passport control on exit. You'll show your Vietnamese passport to the airline though. [For countries which have passport control on exit - which is basically all of them except Canada and USA I think - you show the same passport you used to enter.]

Ah, two small caveats to my general rules above:
1. There are weird edge cases and so while I've said 'always', well, there are probably exceptions. Like: what happens if you acquire new citizenship, eg of country you are exiting. (My answer: rule to show citizenship of country you are a citizen of when dealing with passport control i.e. that first rule takes precedence over the passport you entered with). Other weird cases as an example:
2. Schengen zone - don't ask me about passports and controls within EU for people who have multiple passports including some or multiple EU ones. Me, I'd stick to one passport going in and out, and if an EU citizen, I'd use that EU passport. No idea about more complex scenarios.

Reactions: bellaluna

Saucer

Oct 28, 2019
True with caveat that if you have citizenship of country you are entering, you should (usually required to) show passport/citizenship of that country to enter.

Also always enter and leave on same passport (to the border control people - airlines are separate, see below).

Generally good. Just keep in mind that what you show airlines and what you show 'at border' are distinct things. The airlines want you to show that you can enter the country you are travelling to. Of course they will also want you to show the docs you booked the ticket under, too. They don't mind that you have multiple passports as long as the names match and you look like your picture.

1. Not applicable, Canada has no passport control on exit. You'll show your Vietnamese passport to the airline though. [For countries which have passport control on exit - which is basically all of them except Canada and USA I think - you show the same passport you used to enter.]

Ah, two small caveats to my general rules above:
1. There are weird edge cases and so while I've said 'always', well, there are probably exceptions. Like: what happens if you acquire new citizenship, eg of country you are exiting. (My answer: rule to show citizenship of country you are a citizen of when dealing with passport control i.e. that first rule takes precedence over the passport you entered with). Other weird cases as an example:
2. Schengen zone - don't ask me about passports and controls within EU for people who have multiple passports including some or multiple EU ones. Me, I'd stick to one passport going in and out, and if an EU citizen, I'd use that EU passport. No idea about more complex scenarios.
Thanks for the reply!

So for border control, show same passport for entering and leaving, while showing the strongest passport for the country I'm entering
For showing airlines, show strongest passport to the airline for the country I'm traveling to
Does that sound correct?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for the reply!

So for border control, show same passport for entering and leaving, while showing the strongest passport for the country I'm entering
For showing airlines, show strongest passport to the airline for the country I'm traveling to
Does that sound correct?
That's a good short summary, with the addition of 'if a citizen, show that citizenship at passport control' (after all you're a citizen of two of three countries you're visiting on this trip)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

In general would not advise someone change passports especially on the same leg or a trip. It doesn’t look great and could be interpreted as trying to hide your travels. Technically not illegal. When returning to Canada you are required to travel using your Canadian passport.