+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Finger Print Request

pretoria11

Mar 6, 2014
Hi, a line that says something like "we sent you correspondence...", which I've confirmed with the call centre staff that it is a FP request. It's almost been a week since they sent me the correspondence but I still have not received the package.

Just wondering what the timeline is like? In other words, would this be coming from the local office? (ie. Winnipeg applicants would receive it from the Winnipeg office) Local mails should take no more than 2-3 days to arrive, if my perception is correct. Thanks folks!

winpro

Star Member
Dec 1, 2017
Hi, a line that says something like "we sent you correspondence...", which I've confirmed with the call centre staff that it is a FP request. It's almost been a week since they sent me the correspondence but I still have not received the package.

Just wondering what the timeline is like? In other words, would this be coming from the local office? (ie. Winnipeg applicants would receive it from the Winnipeg office) Local mails should take no more than 2-3 days to arrive, if my perception is correct. Thanks folks!
Takes a week, arrives from Vancouver office. Their FP thing is centralized I think. Should get it today or tomorrow.

Reactions: pretoria11

jithucan123

Feb 19, 2015
Hi,

My Ecase status got updated (Most probably FP request) today which says:

We sent you correspondence on February 7, 2018. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.

As per my knowledge my file has moved to the local office (Edmonton) and I may get a letter from Edmonton which I am expecting in a day or two. Or my file is still in Sydney, NS ?

Pleased share your thought.

Thanks

DRRD

Feb 8, 2018

You are more than welcome to go and do the fingerprints without the package. I helped one of my friends two days ago with the same situation, he noticed the change on ecas and called in the call center, they gave him the information and he went to one of the RCMP accredited places. The person at the call center from IRCC told him to go and do it but when he arrived to the place they were a bit hesitant to do it because he didn't have the letter. He explained that he called and got all info and got the ok from them. And they went ahead and did it.

Ask the agency to send the results to you so you can make a copy for your records and mail out the originals certified mail.

But you need to call and ask them for the exact address --including who to address it to, that you should send it to as it is different from local office to local office, and that's the address you're going to mail it to. Also, ask them for all documents you need to take with you to do it.

Meantime you need to take with you:
- Application # (from your AOR)
- UCI (also from AOR)
- 2 pieces of ID (one with picture)
- Fees to pay for the fingerprints
- Proof of permanent residency (PR Card)

If there is no match, FP will take 3-4 business days so that would give you more time to receive the letter from IRCC and then revalidate everything with the letter in your hand...

Call both the fingerprint agency and IRCC before heading out and confirm everything.

Good luck!

jithucan123

Feb 19, 2015
Hi,

Just out of curiosity. What's the main purpose and the process of this Finger Print Request by the CIC? If somebody got arrested by the Police would they take the culprit's Finger Print based on their status in Canada (Like PR, Temporary workers etc) for any offences and later they match it with the randomly selected Citizen Applicants? If so then what if somebody got arrested and took the FP and later his charges were settled? Still it got flagged when he/she send his FP result? Or FP is just to get enough time for the CIC to process the Citizenship Application?

Thanks and apologies if this is a stupid and illogical doubt.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hi,

Just out of curiosity. What's the main purpose and the process of this Finger Print Request by the CIC? If somebody got arrested by the Police would they take the culprit's Finger Print based on their status in Canada (Like PR, Temporary workers etc) for any offences and later they match it with the randomly selected Citizen Applicants? If so then what if somebody got arrested and took the FP and later his charges were settled? Still it got flagged when he/she send his FP result? Or FP is just to get enough time for the CIC to process the Citizenship Application?

Thanks and apologies if this is a stupid and illogical doubt.
Similar questions have been asked and discussed in this forum, many times, in many threads, many of them specifically referencing Finger Prints or "FP" in the title. Thus, to get a comprehensive explanation, do some reading in the back pages of this forum. Obviously one needs to employ critical thinking skills in doing so but there is actually a lot of informative discussion in the back pages here.

The "main purpose" for a Finger Print request is obvious: verification of identity. That, however, hardly illuminates the many reasons why IRCC in practice requests FPs from an applicant. Note, for example, the identity concern may be related to verifying the applicant is a particular client of IRCC or it may be related to verifying that a name-record hit in criminal history databases is not the applicant.

In any event, it appears clear from recent reporting that IRCC is requesting FPs more frequently these days than it has in the past. Odds are good that for most who get the FP request it is a relatively routine verification measure and so long as the applicant timely obtains and submits the FPs, for most applicants this will have little impact on the overall timeline. That is, little delay.

As much of your query alludes, however, sure, concerns about potential criminality or criminal history also loom as a possible reason for the FP request. And of course the impact in this event depends on whether what triggered the concern and FP request is in fact connected to the applicant or the FP request confirms it has to do with someone other than the applicant.

Beyond that your query also raises questions about the impact of an applicant's involvement in the criminal justice system, and about how and when IRCC might be apprised an applicant is in some regard involved in a criminal matter. This too is another subject widely discussed in the forum, often in topics with titles referring to police certificates or clearances, some referring to "charges" or "arrest" or other terms related to being involved in a criminal case.

The latter is a big subject, huge, with lots of tangents, lots of nuance, but the bottom-line is simple:
-- if an applicant has been arrested, charged, convicted, or otherwise has been the subject of a criminal case during the four years prior to applying, the applicant is obligated and absolutely should disclose this to IRCC in the application for citizenship
-- if an applicant is arrested, charged, convicted, or otherwise becomes the subject of a criminal case after applying (even if it happens the morning the applicant is scheduled for the oath), the applicant is obligated and absolutely should disclose this to IRCC as soon as practical

Odds are high that IRCC will be apprised of the criminal matter, SOONER or LATER.

Even if the matter is NOT one which will result in a prohibition, it is absolutely imperative to inform IRCC about it. As noted, this is a big subject and has far too many tangents and nuances to so much as attempt a comprehensive explanation in this post, but addressing one aspect of your query may illuminate the importance of NOT MESSING AROUND with this, the importance of simply, directly, and timely informing IRCC of any involvement in a criminal matter.

You ask: "what if somebody got arrested and . . . later his charges were settled?"

The impact on a citizenship application will vary depending on the particulars. It will depend on what the charges were (a charge for a summary offence will have no impact so long as the applicant is not incarcerated or on probation); on what "settled" means; on how and when the charges were brought and how and when they are resolved (what the disposition is), and other factors.

BUT what the applicant NEEDS TO DO does NOT VARY: the applicant needs to inform IRCC of the situation promptly. A failure to notify IRCC constitutes misrepresentation by omission.

Even if the charges are eventually dropped as totally unfounded, that is if the applicant is totally innocent and the charges are dismissed, if the applicant fails to timely notify IRCC that would be a material misrepresentation by omission. Whether or not IRCC will subsequently prosecute the applicant for the misrepresentation may depend on the merits and equities of the matter (if a person is arrested for a crime totally due to a mistake in identity, and the charges are dropped forthwith, for example, IRCC MIGHT, might but not necessarily, decide to not pursue the misrepresentation), but make no mistake, applicants are required to notify IRCC of an arrest even if the arrest is totally unfounded and the applicant is totally innocent. The failure to notify IRCC is a material misrepresentation by omission.

Which leads back to the observation about IRCC being apprised of the situation SOONER or LATER. Later could be years later, years after the individual becomes a citizen. This is one of the more common reasons why IRCC in actual practice initiates proceedings to revoke citizenship: the failure to properly disclose criminal matters (arrests, charges, convictions, and such). Sure, if the criminal case resulted in all charges being totally dismissed, there is a good probability that IRCC will not be so draconian to nonetheless proceed to revoke the person's citizenship, BUT IT COULD. And of course the probability of revocation increases relative to the extent the individual is implicated in criminal activity EVEN IF the ultimate outcome is not a conviction for an offence which would constitute a prohibition . . . recognizing again that the grounds for revocation (or finding of misrepresentation if IRCC is apprised and takes action prior to the person taking the oath) is making a material misrepresentation.

Here is the thing: if the criminal charges are NOT such as to result in a prohibition, disclosing them to IRCC will NOT have any detrimental impact. But the failure to disclose them is probably a material misrepresentation which could have serious consequences (potentially a sojourn in secure public housing, the kind with bars on the windows, if there are windows). Thus, not only SHOULD a citizenship applicant be forthcoming and notify IRCC of any involvement in a criminal matter, doing so is undoubtedly the BEST approach.

Reactions: kiala

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
hello,

does FP come after IP usually or can it be before IP?
How long do they give you to do it?

Thanks!
The FP request can come at any time, any time after AOR, and more than a few are reporting they got the FP request at or following the interview. (It could come any time right up to the oath, but there appears to be few reports of the request coming much later than sometime right after the interview.)

Lately there may be a more distinct pattern for many FP requests related to the recent surge in the number of FP requests (such as, perhaps, relative to something like when the application has IP status), but that would not illuminate much for any particular applicant: the request could still come at any time and who is required to submit FPs is not likely to be random so any such pattern will not indicate any statistically significant probabilities for individuals.

Most reports and the standard form for requesting FPs give the applicant 30 days. The probability is that this is NOT strictly applied. Best to get it done and submitted sooner rather than later, and in any event on time. While a significant delay in getting the FPs done probably will not derail the application (eventually it could lead to the application being deemed abandoned, but that should not happen due to being late some weeks or even a month or so), it may however cause a significant delay in processing the citizenship application.

rizwansadiq

Jan 7, 2018
Category........
FAM
Hi everyone,

My fingerprint results were received by IRCC Scarborough Office on 29 March 2018 and all the background checks (including police and security clearance) were completed on 12 April 2018. I was wondering how long does it take to get the citizenship test invite after the file has been updated with FP results. I would appreciate your thoughts and/or experiences.

Thanks!

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
Hi everyone,

My fingerprint results were received by IRCC Scarborough Office on 29 March 2018 and all the background checks (including police and security clearance) were completed on 12 April 2018. I was wondering how long does it take to get the citizenship test invite after the file has been updated with FP results. I would appreciate your thoughts and/or experiences.

Thanks!
How did you find out this information? The ECAS shows nothing, and the IRCC contact centre does not respond...Asking for my mom who got FP request on March 28 and she did the fingerprinting within an hour of receiving the letter in the mail.

rizwansadiq

Jan 7, 2018
Category........
FAM
How did you find out this information? The ECAS shows nothing, and the IRCC contact centre does not respond...Asking for my mom who got FP request on March 28 and she did the fingerprinting within an hour of receiving the letter in the mail.
I called the call centre couple of times and they provided me with this information. They confirmed over the phone that all the background checks have been completed and fingerprint results have been updated on your file on 12 April 2018. Since then, I am waiting for the citizenship test invite.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
I called the call centre couple of times and they provided me with this information. They confirmed over the phone that all the background checks have been completed and fingerprint results have been updated on your file on 12 April 2018. Since then, I am waiting for the citizenship test invite.
How did you get through an agent? My mother says whenever she calls she just gets an automated message saying that all agents are busy and not taking any further calls, doesn't matter if she calls in the morning or afternoon. Is there a number you know which gets through to the sequence of speaking to an agent?