Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Request
12-09-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2015
There was a whole topic of discussion regarding landing process back in 2010 as outlined below. Is there any updated discussion topic that I can refer to? or should I use the same URL and keep digging further?

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/landing-in-canada-all-you-need-to-know-t36735.0.html

sevagha

Star Member
May 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
5125 ECA Done......:22-05-2014 ECA Received:27-05-2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2014 App. Received:04-06-2014 PER Received:30-09-2014
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
23-11-2014
Passport Req..
18-03-2015
LANDED..........
03-07-2015
They're the same procedures.

Having the Items Accompanying list is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. We had prepared it in advance and the officer simply stamped it and we were on our way, while we saw others who hadn't prepared a list having their luggage opened and examined in detail which must have been quite unpleasant for them.

The landing procedure is basically having your passport stamped, then going to the immigration department with the COPR where the officer will fill it in and have you sign it. If you arrive during normal working hours, you can also get you SIN number. After that, you collect your luggage and go to customs where you give them the Items Accompanying and the Items to Follow lists and that's pretty much it.

GOOD LUCK!

sachin9183

Star Member
Jan 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Request
12-09-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2015
Thanks that's helpful information. I'm in US and plan to drive to complete my landing formalities. I was actually planning to start driving on Sunday, reach ON in the afternoon (its an 8-hr drive for me), roam around and stay on that night. Apply for the SIN and Health card on Monday and drive back.

Q1 . - I didn't know that we could apply for SIN at the border, where can I find more information about it, regarding can it be done at the border or not, what are considered to be working hours for the SIN Service center if they provide services at the border etc.?

Q2 . Is there a minimum time limit to complete landing formalities? eg - I can pass through the border and return within 2 hours, so that I don't have to stay in the night? My only intention is to complete landing at this time.
Q3 . There is no form to apply for PR card like IMM 5445, is that true? Because it contradicts the OP, maybe things have changed since then. This is what CIC site states - "If you are a new permanent resident, you will automatically receive your new card by mail, once you first arrive in Canada, as part of the immigration process. You do not need to apply for a PR card."
Q4. - There is no SIN Application form if you are applying in person?

sevagha

Star Member
May 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
5125 ECA Done......:22-05-2014 ECA Received:27-05-2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2014 App. Received:04-06-2014 PER Received:30-09-2014
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
23-11-2014
Passport Req..
18-03-2015
LANDED..........
03-07-2015
sachin9183 said:
Thanks that's helpful information. I'm in US and plan to drive to complete my landing formalities. I was actually planning to start driving on Sunday, reach ON in the afternoon (its an 8-hr drive for me), roam around and stay on that night. Apply for the SIN and Health card on Monday and drive back.

Q1 . - I didn't know that we could apply for SIN at the border, where can I find more information about it, regarding can it be done at the border or not, what are considered to be working hours for the SIN Service center if they provide services at the border etc.?

Q2 . Is there a minimum time limit to complete landing formalities? eg - I can pass through the border and return within 2 hours, so that I don't have to stay in the night? My only intention is to complete landing at this time.
Q3 . There is no form to apply for PR card like IMM 5445, is that true? Because it contradicts the OP, maybe things have changed since then. This is what CIC site states - "If you are a new permanent resident, you will automatically receive your new card by mail, once you first arrive in Canada, as part of the immigration process. You do not need to apply for a PR card."
Q4. - There is no SIN Application form if you are applying in person?
Hi!

1) I'm not sure if they have Service Canada offices at the land borders. I landed in Toronto Airport and there was an office there.
2) You can do whatever you want after landing as long as you fulfill the residency obligation which is living 2 out of the 5 years from the date of becoming a permanent resident.
3) There isn't a form. You'll be asked for a Canadian address. You can give a friend's or relative's address if you don't have one. PR cards can only be sent inside Canada.
4) There wasn't a form in my case. The employee just asked me a couple of questions and printed my SIN number.

You can get a health card after residing in Ontario for 3 months.
GOOD LUCK!

anuaro

Dec 16, 2014
Hi All,

I have few questions regarding landing process since i will be flying in oct 2015.

a) My passport will expire in april2016 so i am planning to renew it in canada itself. Once i am done with formalities of PR at airport, would i require the same passport no for any other formality later?

b) I am flying in oct and will be returning in nov so do i have inform the PR department abt my 1 month stay?
c) In what form, can we show the 10000$cad? is it DD or travel cheque?

Thanks in advance!!!

Sambisa Valley

Star Member
Nov 18, 2014
Hello Forumites,

I need some clarifications about landing procedure as a newcomer.

I am heading to Halifax via Toronto (YYZ Airport) and it appears i will have to do my landing formalities in Toronto.

- What comes first, do i need to do the landing formalities first or pick my luggage first?

- If i have to do the landing formalities first, where will i be able to locate my luggage?

-After, the landing process, how do i get my luggage checked into the connecting flight to Halifax?

- Assuming i miss my connecting flight, can i always buy ticket at the airport?

Thank you