+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

fee increase in 2015

yyzhuang

Mar 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=916869

To have applicant fees more closely reflect the costs associated with processing citizenship applications, citizenship processing fees will increase from $300 to $530 for applicants whose complete applications are received after Jan. 1, 2015. These applicants will benefit from the processing improvements outlined above, and this is in keeping with user-pay principles and a move toward full cost recovery in the citizenship program.

Applications for a grant and resumptions of citizenship to a minor are exempt from this change. The $100 Right of Citizenship fee for successful applicants remains the same. Other fees for services, such as for citizenship proofs, are not changing.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And they inform again the people @ the last moment. Just couple of working days before the actual change.

Sassy22

Nov 5, 2014
i cannot understand all the increase in fees, yet some province remain at a very slow pace when processing applicaiton, some have been in queue for years, yet applicant in ontario are complete in 6-8 months. :-X

BLT

Jul 30, 2014
Sassy22 said:
i cannot understand all the increase in fees, yet some province remain at a very slow pace when processing applicaiton, some have been in queue for years, yet applicant in ontario are complete in 6-8 months. :-X
High demand = price increase. That happens everywhere.
I hope they have a class system like the airline :
First class : $15,000 per person : 3 months routine and 6 months non routine.
Business class : $5,000 per person : 6 months routine and 9 months non routine.
Economy class : $530 : Depends on the mood of the officer handling your file.

HighFive

Mar 13, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sassy22 said:
perhaps that is a reason why they increase the fee, maybe they want to speed up processing in other provinces/territories outside of ON.

basharar

Nov 5, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I will gladly pay the difference and get the speed increase benefit, keeping old applicant on the super slow lane is so unfair, we need an upgrade package

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is no transparency and nothing in this fee increase that assures speedy or reasonable processing times.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
Would the old fee apply if you mailed the application off before January 1st, 2015?

Mary2009

Star Member
Aug 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a friend who sent a citizenship application on 20/12/2014 by UPS.

The package was not received until now!

and in the online tracking it says:
The receiver requested that we hold this package for future delivery date. Delivery will be rescheduled.

I'm not sure if this is due to less workers at Sydeny (during holiday season)
or because they are planning to reject the applications, and ask them to reapply after paying the new fee?!

CIC looks like a BIG mess! ::)
(ZERO transparency about things that require some explanation at least!)

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
What I think is that they will consider application signature date for payment consideration. Its my assumption.
So if any application is signed before 31st December, it may have the old fee rule and application signed after 31st December 2014 will have the new fee rule.

Mary2009

Star Member
Aug 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
What I think is that they will consider application signature date for payment consideration. Its my assumption.
So if any application is signed before 31st December, it may have the old fee rule and application signed after 31st December 2014 will have the new fee rule.
This can't be the case...

Picture this... If I'm sending on 15th January 2015 .. and want to avoid the higher fee...
I would just sign the application dated 31/12/2014 ... specially that most of applicants allow some buffer days (after eligibility).

The ONLY way to enforce this (just my $0.02 here), is per the date they RECEIVE the application...
and if they are so nice, would allow 3-5 days within January/2015 for those who send it late December!

But certainly not the application date, since this can be manipulated.

again, my $0.02 :)

brbr

Star Member
Jul 31, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mary2009 said:

Picture this... If I'm sending on 15th January 2015 .. and want to avoid the higher fee...
I would just sign the application dated 31/12/2014 ... specially that most of applicants allow some buffer days (after eligibility).

The ONLY way to enforce this (just my $0.02 here), is per the date they RECEIVE the application...
and if they are so nice, would allow 3-5 days within January/2015 for those who send it late December!

Hey Mary,

I agree with your train of thought, but if they truly want to be fair and impartial, they should follow the date received stamp from Canada Post and just go by that. That's my $0.02 :)

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
Mary2009 said:

Agree. The will likely enforce this as per the date they RECEIVE the application. It's therefore in the best interest of the applicant to take into account transit time and avoid taking risk of having application returned.

e.g: If you are planning to send application today via FEDEX (with faster available service of 2 business days transit from Toronto), CIC will only receive it on Tuesday Dec 30th at earliest...so you have one day buffer there... and can pay current fees of $400.
However, if you use a service where transit is 3 business days or more, your application will like be received by CIC in 2015... Given the cost of return application (lost time), it's probably wise to just pay the new fees.

Now, if you go online to pay fees, is the system showing the $400 or the $630? Not sure if old fees apply until change is made in CIC online payment system

Thanks

Mary2009

Star Member
Aug 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arambi said:
Now, if you go online to pay fees, is the system showing the $400 or the $630?
Just checked and its still saying $400

It makes sense to modify this only on 30 or 31st of December...
I mean when its impossible for someone to pay the old fee, and still they receive it before the end of the year!

But this is CIC, so "logic" & "sense" aren't popular words there ;D
(judging by stories I've read in this forum!)

Lets wait and see what they will do...

But I suggest anyone who have not sent the application yet... and afford the extra fee to hold it and pay the new fee!

The increase ($130/applicant) does not worth risking your application and possible delay & returns..etc..

I know that some are under stress of financials...
I mean specially if there are several applicants or big family, the increase is a big amount,
but if you can afford it, it would be more reliable for the timeline to just wait and pay their new (unjustified) fee!

Good luck to all :)