+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

February 2021 - Citizenship applications

eagle922

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
Just a tip for everyone waiting for Citizenship Test. Read "Discover Canada" book cover to cover. Based on my and my spouse's test, the questions seem to have been significantly reworded and are no longer from the common sources everyone uses to prepare (Richmond library, Toronto library, Apna Toronto, etc.). The wordings are totally different and you would cross 15 only if you read the book thoroughly. I think the questions are copyrighted so it won't be a good idea to mention them here, but at least can confirm the usual sources of the questions are no longer enough to prepare for the exam, and reading the book is a must. A lot of Feb folks will be taking the exam soon so hope this is helpful to them.

Last edited:

cyberkodi

Jun 14, 2021
Just a tip for everyone waiting for Citizenship Test. Read "Discover Canada" book cover to cover. Based on my and my spouse's test, the questions seem to have been significantly reworded and are no longer from the common sources everyone uses to prepare (Richmond library, Toronto library, Apna Toronto, etc.). The wordings are totally different and you would cross 15 only if you read the book thoroughly. I think the questions are copyrighted so it won't be a good idea to mention them here, but at least can confirm the usual sources of the questions are no longer enough to prepare for the exam, and reading the book is a must. A lot of Feb folks will be taking the exam soon so hope this is helpful to them.
Thank you very much, I was planing to ask you how it went. Was it difficult or tricky? I know you can't mention about the questions themselves but for example dates, I am bad in memorizing dates, is this something we need to worry about? knowing the date for each and every single thing?

eagle922

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
Thank you very much, I was planing to ask you how it went. Was it difficult or tricky? I know you can't mention about the questions themselves but for example dates, I am bad in memorizing dates, is this something we need to worry about? knowing the date for each and every single thing?
As an example, they listed 4 true events from the book and asked which one was the latest to occur chronologically. I have never seen this type of question anywhere, and I sure couldn't have answered it if I had not known about those events and roughly when they occurred! So they did not directly ask for a date or year, but to answer the question you should roughly know when it happened and how it related to other events.

Reactions: cyberkodi

cyberkodi

Jun 14, 2021
As an example, they listed 4 true events from the book and asked which one was the latest to occur chronologically. I have never seen this type of question anywhere, and I sure couldn't have answered it if I had not known about those events and roughly when they occurred! So they did not directly ask for a date or year, but to answer the question you should roughly know when it happened and how it related to other events.
wow!!, man why did they change it now when the rest of us will be taking it soon sigh. Thank you for the tips and heads up, much appreciated!

rizwan150

Jan 16, 2014
Canada
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-04-2014
Doc's Request.
24-06-2014
Nomination.....
07-05-2014
Med's Request
26-06-2014 (Self MR + RPRF for both) & 31-07-2014 (Spouse MR),
Med's Done....
06-07-2014 (Self) & 18-08-2014 (Spouse)
Passport Req..
PPR-1 + PPR-2: 17-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-02-2015, Passport Received: 17-03-2015
LANDED..........
26-05-2015

Ovaisyasin

Jul 21, 2018
Hello there all, i have one question regarding test .. i applied on feb 2021 and got the test invitation in aug .. so i m planning to use IPAD (safari browser) for my test .. it should be ok? .. i m little bit confused because they mention not to use chrome on ipad .. i m just confused can we use ipad or not?

eagle922

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
Hello there all, i have one question regarding test .. i applied on feb 2021 and got the test invitation in aug .. so i m planning to use IPAD (safari browser) for my test .. it should be ok? .. i m little bit confused because they mention not to use chrome on ipad .. i m just confused can we use ipad or not?
I don’t know the answer, but I tried researching and on this forum some advised not to take it on iPad. Not sure of the reason, but remember, the browser you take the test on needs to open a camera recording session, so not sure if Safari will support that on iPad. You can probably reach out to them to confirm before you go ahead.

I finally decided to take it on a laptop and it went well.

Another thing to remember is that you will need 1080p camera to be able to clearly take a picture of your id. 720p simply wont cut it as picture of id is barely readable at that quality. You can test taking a picture beforehand on laptop to see what kind of quality you are getting. This is very important. Older laptops tend to have 720p so be mindful. The picture of the id has to be taken live during test, you can’t scan it ahead of time to upload it, the site has no button to upload, only take pictures.

Another thing to note, don’t try to use an external usb webcam on your laptop for the test. The browser will still pick the default laptop’s camera and won’t allow you to change it when taking test.

All the best.

cyberkodi

Jun 14, 2021
I don’t know the answer, but I tried researching and on this forum some advised not to take it on iPad. Not sure of the reason, but remember, the browser you take the test on needs to open a camera recording session, so not sure if Safari will support that on iPad. You can probably reach out to them to confirm before you go ahead.

I finally decided to take it on a laptop and it went well.

Another thing to remember is that you will need 1080p camera to be able to clearly take a picture of your id. 720p simply wont cut it as picture of id is barely readable at that quality. You can test taking a picture beforehand on laptop to see what kind of quality you are getting. This is very important. Older laptops tend to have 720p so be mindful. The picture of the id has to be taken live during test, you can’t scan it ahead of time to upload it, the site has no button to upload, only take pictures.

Another thing to note, don’t try to use an external usb webcam on your laptop for the test. The browser will still pick the default laptop’s camera and won’t allow you to change it when taking test.

All the best.
Thanks for this. Thank God I kept my Windows surface pro tablet (which has got 1080p camera), my MacBook only got a 720pm camera which is my main machine.

ks231

Star Member
Feb 12, 2015
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-01-2017
AOR Received.
22-03-2017
Med's Request
12-02-2018
Med's Done....
12-03-2018
Passport Req..
28-08-2018
LANDED..........
28-11-2018
Hello guys,
I received an email yesterday from IRCC.DN******Scheduling ConvocationHAL*****.IRCC@cic.gc.ca with a request letter for the document.

The request is for scanned copies of all pages of passports.
However, the request letter does not show my correct application Id and name on it.
I am not very much convinced to reply to this email. I am wondering any of you have experienced such a thing? , received an email from this type of email address?
How should I respond to this email?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello guys,
I received an email yesterday from IRCC.DN******Scheduling ConvocationHAL*****.IRCC@cic.gc.ca with a request letter for the document.

The request is for scanned copies of all pages of passports.
However, the request letter does not show my correct application Id and name on it.
I am not very much convinced to reply to this email. I am wondering any of you have experienced such a thing? , received an email from this type of email address?
How should I respond to this email?
You might have received the email intended for someone else. Respond by saying that it appears that you've received the email with someone else's name and application number.

eagle922

Star Member
Mar 23, 2015
Thanks for this. Thank God I kept my Windows surface pro tablet (which has got 1080p camera), my MacBook only got a 720pm camera which is my main machine.

Do not use the following to take the test:

• a mobile phone
  • Chrome on an iPad
  • Microsoft Surface Pro
  • a virtual private network (VPN)

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/citizenship-test/online.html

Read all the guidelines carefully. If you miss or make a mistake you may not get a second attempt for months.

Reactions: cyberkodi