+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family sponsorship - passport request - where to send

aj198

Sep 16, 2013
Hi
I applied for my spouse's PR (outland application) this year in March. My spouse's PR status says "Decision Made" and she has received passport request from New Delhi, India. The letter also says that if you are in Canada and intend to stay there for atleast 3 months, then you may send your passport to CPC Ottawa.

In our case, my spouse is currently in Canada on visitor visa. She joined me on 6th Feb and can stay in canada upto 5th August (6 months). The request for passport was received on 16th May.

My question is that since my wife cannot stay in canada for atleast 3 months since 16th May, can we send the passport to ottawa instead of my wife going to India to submit her passport. Please advise.
Our main concern is that if CPC Ottawa does not return her passport before 5th August then how will she go back to India in that case.

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

If she hasn't received her passport back from Ottawa by August 5th, she can just apply to extend her stay as a visitor.

aj198

Sep 16, 2013
Thanks for your response.

The extension needs to be applied 30 days before i.e. by 5th July. For online extension applications, the response time is 19 days. Is it possible that they reject my extension application.

mcharade

Star Member
May 9, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-09-2016
AOR Received.
14-10-2016
File Transfer...
24-10-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Aug. 2016
Maybe you can try applying by paper. Then the response time is around 100 days or so, during that time your wife would have implied status. She'd almost certainly receive her passport back from Ottawa by the 100 day mark.

aj198

Sep 16, 2013
Thanks, I was thinking about the same option. Do you have any idea how long Ottawa office generally takes. Also, I am hoping that other than passport stamping, no other processing shall happen in Ottawa and my application would still be considered outland.

Thanks again

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
aj198 said:
Thanks, I was thinking about the same option. Do you have any idea how long Ottawa office generally takes. Also, I am hoping that other than passport stamping, no other processing shall happen in Ottawa and my application would still be considered outland.
The app is still outland.

networkjas

Star Member
Jan 3, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31 Dec 2010
Doc's Request.
31 July 2014
AOR Received.
21 Nov 2014
File Transfer...
13 Oct 2015
Med's Request
22 Oct 2015
aj198 said:
Hi
I applied for my spouse's PR (outland application) this year in March. My spouse's PR status says "Decision Made" and she has received passport request from New Delhi, India. The letter also says that if you are in Canada and intend to stay there for atleast 3 months, then you may send your passport to CPC Ottawa.

In our case, my spouse is currently in Canada on visitor visa. She joined me on 6th Feb and can stay in canada upto 5th August (6 months). The request for passport was received on 16th May.

My question is that since my wife cannot stay in canada for atleast 3 months since 16th May, can we send the passport to ottawa instead of my wife going to India to submit her passport. Please advise.
Our main concern is that if CPC Ottawa does not return her passport before 5th August then how will she go back to India in that case.

Thanks
You do not need to apply any extension. If you do not receive passport by due date then you are on "implied status".
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/implied.asp

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
networkjas said:
You do not need to apply any extension. If you do not receive passport by due date then you are on "implied status".
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/implied.asp

[/quote

Wrong. There is no Implied Status from submitting a PR app. OP's spouse must maintain her status separately.

aj198

Sep 16, 2013
Yes that is right .. I think extension needs to be applied and she will be on implied status till the decision on extension comes back.

Anybody knows how long does cpc Ottawa take to stamp the passport. If they take too long then i am thinking it would be better if my spouse travels to delhi and submits her passport there. It seems they take about a week or so to stamp the pr one time visa