+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family accompanying international student on visit visa

Feb 11, 2021
Appreciate feedback from anyone regarding the following.

I have a student visa, my studies start in May and I have not yet traveled to Canada as an international student. I am interested in taking my family (wife + 2 children) with me. I applied for my family’s visit visas in mid-February (biometrics done) but until now there has been no activity on the account. The visas were applied from Saudi Arabia and the current processing time for visit visas from this location is 168 days.

Question 1: Given the below text extracted from the webpage linked at the end of this post, are my family members eligible to receive a visit visa to accompany an international student?
“You must apply for a visitor visa through the IRCC Portal if you’re coming to Canada to
  • attend an end-of-life ceremony or funeral
  • be present during the final moments of life for a loved one
  • provide care to a critically ill person
  • to join a vessel as a crew member
  • assume a posting as a diplomat or travel as an accompanying immediate family member of a diplomat arriving on posting who will also be accredited in Canada”
Since the scenario I have described is not listed above, I assume that my family would get visit visas only when travel restrictions are eased. However further on in the same webpage, the below two criteria are mentioned, which is why I am not sure whether the family qualifies for a visit visa currently or not:

“If you’re outside the United States (US)
You must be able to prove one of the following:
Note: We do not qualify for eTA.

Question 2:

Condition: If my scenario qualifies under one the above two criteria.

Context: IRCC provide an option to email them to request to prioritize a visit visa application that is already in progress. The following text is pasted from the webpage linked at the end of this post:

“What to do if you’ve already applied for a visitor visa

Step 1: Email us, so we can prioritize your application
Email us only if you’re eligible to travel to Canada at this time. We won’t respond to any other enquiries.

Send your request to this email address: IRCC.COVID-TravelExemptions-Exemptionsdevoyage-COVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca

Question: Does this option apply only if the student visa holder is already in Canada and their family wishes to reunite with them? Or can I email them now to request prioritization of the in-progress application?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/visa.html#existing

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Appreciate feedback from anyone regarding the following.

I have a student visa, my studies start in May and I have not yet traveled to Canada as an international student. I am interested in taking my family (wife + 2 children) with me. I applied for my family’s visit visas in mid-February (biometrics done) but until now there has been no activity on the account. The visas were applied from Saudi Arabia and the current processing time for visit visas from this location is 168 days.

Question 1: Given the below text extracted from the webpage linked at the end of this post, are my family members eligible to receive a visit visa to accompany an international student?
“You must apply for a visitor visa through the IRCC Portal if you’re coming to Canada to
  • attend an end-of-life ceremony or funeral
  • be present during the final moments of life for a loved one
  • provide care to a critically ill person
  • to join a vessel as a crew member
  • assume a posting as a diplomat or travel as an accompanying immediate family member of a diplomat arriving on posting who will also be accredited in Canada”
Since the scenario I have described is not listed above, I assume that my family would get visit visas only when travel restrictions are eased. However further on in the same webpage, the below two criteria are mentioned, which is why I am not sure whether the family qualifies for a visit visa currently or not:

“If you’re outside the United States (US)
You must be able to prove one of the following:
Note: We do not qualify for eTA.

Question 2:

Condition: If my scenario qualifies under one the above two criteria.

Context: IRCC provide an option to email them to request to prioritize a visit visa application that is already in progress. The following text is pasted from the webpage linked at the end of this post:

“What to do if you’ve already applied for a visitor visa

Step 1: Email us, so we can prioritize your application
Email us only if you’re eligible to travel to Canada at this time. We won’t respond to any other enquiries.

Send your request to this email address: IRCC.COVID-TravelExemptions-Exemptionsdevoyage-COVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca

Question: Does this option apply only if the student visa holder is already in Canada and their family wishes to reunite with them? Or can I email them now to request prioritization of the in-progress application?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/visa.html#existing
Question 1: You are looking at the application for applying for TRV based humanitarian and compassionate reasons (PHAC). You should be applying for normal TRVs and your spouse should be applying for an OWP. Visas and permits are never guaranteed approval.