+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of Stay as a visitor

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
sam.ums said:
Hi Kriv

Thanks for the detailed information for visitor visa.I need some information regarding the validity of stay in canada and port of entry.Hope you can help me out on this.
My parents Got visitor visa from india last month for 10 years.On invitation letter we mention their stay for 3 weeks (arrive on 2nd week of june) but now due to some work they not able to come on this period which we mention on invitation letter.So my question is if they will not able to come during this period or they want to come maybe in later stage or next year.It will give any problem to them on Port of entry as some one told my we have to visit during the period which mentioned on invitation letter.

Thanks in advance & hope you can clear my doubts on this.
There won't be any problem for your parents to use their visit visa for travelling anytime within the next 10 years. Changes in plan is a normal thing and it usually/oftenly happens so nothing to worry about. Invitation letter is not a legal document or any type of legal binding/grantee. Your invitation letter has no effect on your parents visa. I know many who travelled 2-3 years after getting a visa.

Hope it helps

howtoland

Dec 19, 2011
kriv said:
Now if the person wants to stay more than 6 months (his allowed time to stay in canada) due to any reasons.. he/she can do this by submitting an application for an extension to stay in canada. anyone living in canada for more than 6 months without authorization will be considered illegal or overstaying in canada. To get this authorization to stay more is called "extension to stay/remain in canada as a visitor".
What if the entry visa expiry date is only 1 month after the original 6 months, e.g. 7 months from the date of first entry? Can the person still request for an extension to stay and be granted another 6 months, even though the multiple-entry visa is expiring soon?

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
howtoland said:
What if the entry visa expiry date is only 1 month after the original 6 months, e.g. 7 months from the date of first entry? Can the person still request for an extension to stay and be granted another 6 months, even though the multiple-entry visa is expiring soon?
It doesn't matter when the TRV expires. It is entirely separate from your visitor status.

Jasjag007

Jul 4, 2014
Canada > Alberta > Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
[move][color=Navy][b]♥ 30-09-2013 ♥[/b][/color][/move]
File Transfer...
[move][color=orange][b]♥ Oct-2013 ♥[/b][/color][/move]
Med's Request
[move][color=Brown][b]♥ Re-med 27-Jun-2014 ♥[/b][/color][/move]
Med's Done....
[move][color=Brown][b]♥ Re-med 28-Jun-2014 ♥[/b][/color][/move]
Interview........
[move][color=orange][b]♥ In Process 03-Jul-2014 ♥[/b][/color][/move]
Passport Req..
[move][color=blue][b]♥ 07-Nov-2013 ♥[/b][/color][/move]
hi guys......................
i need help urgently...

i came to canada in february as a visitor and married a canadian citizen. i have appplied for pr............ now i need to apply for OPEN WORK PERMIT....can anyone pls clarify which documents should be attached??????????/
i have attached 1) date of entry to canad.
2). marraige certificate
3)paasport copy

d i need to fulfill any other formalities??????????????????// should i apply for TRV as well....................pls help me............... i am so confused...............

regards,
jasjag007

candy_lite

Sep 10, 2011

Hi guys,

Until now I have not received any reply yet from cic about my visa extension application. And I have not filed my inland spouse application yet for I am still waiting for my police clearance from my home country. Can anyone tell me what best to do for Im getting worried. My current visa will expire this visa.

Thanks a lot.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
candy_lite said:
Hi guys,

Until now I have not received any reply yet from cic about my visa extension application. And I have not filed my inland spouse application yet for I am still waiting for my police clearance from my home country. Can anyone tell me what best to do for Im getting worried. My current visa will expire this visa.

Thanks a lot.
Nothing to worry about, you will be on implied status until cic decides on your extension application and if your visa (trv) expires during this you will be still legally allowed to stay in canada. Actually visa is only used for the purpose of entry into canada. So your visa expiry doesn't matter
Hope it helps

azeemravian

Aug 2, 2014
Need details regarding mother TRV

Dear Experts:)
I have got COPR and will be travelling to Canada in April,15 and few months later will call my wife and child who also received COPR.
I have a mother back home and the only concern I have is how to bring her to Canada.
Meanwhile she can stay with my two sisters living in Pakistan.
I have below queries.
1. When is the earliest I can apply for her TRV after landing?
2. Will I have to wait for one year till the tax return is filed or can make use
Of the employer's letter regarding salary?
3. Can I apply trv based on the odd job even if I qualify for lico?
4. What documents I should start preparing in the home country to avoid future delays?
Looking forward for your valuable feedback thanks.

ondang2

Nov 3, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
June 2010
AOR Received.
January 15,2011
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
January 15, 2011
Med's Done....
Febuary 8, 2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
April 27, 2011 sent passport May 17, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
received June 4, 2011
LANDED..........
June 24, 2011
Hi! please somebody help me, my mum got her visa and the validity is until 2019, she came here in canada last sept 16, 2015 i apply her for 5 months extension only last feb. 15, 1 month before her visa expired which is on march 16,2016. Today i received an email from cic that she need to undergo medical examination within 30days, but she doesnt want it bec. she will be back home soon and beside another expenses for me, so she decided to go back home on march 30. My question is that will be ok not to go for medical exam since she will be leaving on march 30, it can effect her status? bec. right now she in implied status, any help?? thanks

AmirH

Mar 24, 2016
Hi Kirv!
My mom has a Multiple visa that expires on May 30 2016.
Her passport expires at the same date.
She renewed her passport and planning to come to Canada on May 12 2016.
Base on her situation ( traveling with both passports and valid visa), can she stay here in Canada for 3 months or I need to request extension from CIC? Does CBSA officer provide 6 months at the airport or I need to contact CIC? Please tell me all I need to do.
Thanks for your help in advance,

Cheers,

Amir

ai_hopeful

Star Member
Feb 17, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
Doc's Request.
25-01-2016
AOR Received.
04-03-2016 SA 09-03-2016 AOR2 17-03-2016
Med's Done....
10-05-2015
Thanks for the info. My visitor extension just got approved and I was wondering what was going to happen. Now I know I'm just gonna wait for the mail... :) Thanks.

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
kriv said:
A Visa (TRV) which is fixed on a passport is just an authorization to travel towards canada. it can be single entry or valid for several years. multiple entry visa or TRV means that the holder of such a visa can travel towards canada multiple times as long it is valid.

When ever someone travels towards canada, at the port of entry he presents his/her passport having the visa. at this stage the CBSA officer allow/grant him an entry which is usually for 6 months and it gives the visa holder a visitor status in canada.

So once a person enter into canada he/she gets a visitor status (the immigration stamp on passport) and the Visitor status is usually valid for 6 months which means the person can only stay in canada legally for 6 months (no matter his visa is valid for several years still he is only allowed to stay in canada for 6 months). In simple words multiple visa means one can make multiple trips to canada and each trip/stay can only be of 6 months.

Now if the person wants to stay more than 6 months (his allowed time to stay in canada) due to any reasons.. he/she can do this by submitting an application for an extension to stay in canada. anyone living in canada for more than 6 months without authorization will be considered illegal or overstaying in canada. To get this authorization to stay more is called "extension to stay/remain in canada as a visitor".

Extension to stay:
extension to stay applications can be submitted online or through paper (online applications are faster). in case of parents, children, spouses, inland/outland sponsorship, awaiting PR, willing to get married, to spend more time with family members etc are rarely refused. the application of extension is made atleast 30 days before the expiry of the visitor status of a person. if your visitor status/visa/allowed time expires you cannot file an extension application. so you must be with a valid status to make such application. if status is expired then you have to apply for "restoration of status"

On approval the person gets a visitor record ( a document mailed to his home address) which is valid for the requested time or usually for the next 6 months. when someone leaves canada his visitor status or visitor record expires.

Example:
Mr xyz had a 10 years multiple visa on his passport. he entered into canada on 1st January 2013 so legally he is only allowed to stay in canada till 1st of july (i.e only 6 months). on 25 june he submitted an application to extend his stay in canada for another 6 months for the reason that he wanted to spend more time with his family, CIC approves him and he is allowed to stay in canada till 1st jan 2014.
again during his stay his wife sponsored him and now MR xyz is awaiting his PR status so on 20 December 2013 (before 1st jan 2014) he made another application to extend his stay in canada again for the reason that he wanted to stay more with his wife and he is awaiting PR decision. cic again approves his stay and now this time CIC grants him 1 year extension means he can live in canada with a legal status till 1st jan 2015.

NOTE: no matter mr xyz visa was valid for 10 years but still he needs to extend his stay in canada as he only allowed to stay in canada for 6 months. Even if Mr xyz had single entry visa instead of multiple visa still the same rule apply.

Important: if you make an extension to stay application too early it may be refused so it should be made near to the expiry of current status BUT before expiry as one can only apply for extension with a valid legal status.

How to apply for extension:
go through this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend/visa.asp

if you want to apply online: http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp
a) check your eligibility
b) create a mycic account
c) fill/upload your application forms
d) pay your fee
e) submit your application

hope it helps you understand how extension to stay application works
very good info. Do you have link with this info? Is is possible for you to post here?

tweetbr24

Star Member
Oct 2, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys ive sent in my request for extension in feb via post, I have not recieve any email nor letter from CIC is this normal for request thats sent via mail?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
tweetbr24 said:
Hi guys ive sent in my request for extension in feb via post, I have not recieve any email nor letter from CIC is this normal for request thats sent via mail?
Yes, it's normal. You shouldn't expect to hear anything for a few more months.

cookiepao

Aug 20, 2016
Hello,

My visitor visa expired last Tues, Sept 13. I'm allowed to stay in canada until Oct12.... But I applied for a visa extension last Sept 9....

Question is, am I [still] on a legal status a.k.a implied status after Oct 12 since there is a pending visa extension application?

Thank you.

shifat

Oct 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
OPNP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 18, 2013
Doc's Request.
Nothing yet
Nomination.....
PNP June 12, 2013
AOR Received.
Sep 13, 2013
IELTS Request
Already got 7
File Transfer...
In process since Dec 23, 2013
Med's Request
Sep 18, 2013
Med's Done....
Sep 25, 2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Since Sep 03, 2010
Hello All,

I need some advise from you as my issue is related to my mum's supervisa.
She got supervisa on June 2015 till March 2018 as her passport expires on March 2018. She got in Canada on June 2015 and got 2 years stamp. She moved out of Canada to origin country for 3 weeks and when she entered back, she only got stamp upto Mrach 2018 as her passport is expiring.

I am going to renew her passport soon. What I am looking to know as if there is any way, I can request for extension to stay in Canada or renewal of supervisa with her new passport while she stays in Canada? Please advise me. My mum is getting old and she does not have anyone back home except me. Please please kindly advise.