+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of Stay as a visitor

chanduone

May 28, 2015
Hi Folks,

I recently applied visa extension for my mother as a visitor and got approval notice for 6 months.
But before getting the approval notice, i got a message from CIC that she has to go for medical test with in 30 days.

Does she still require to go for medicals or not?? Please post your comments and experiences regarding the similar situation if any body came across.

Thanks

C..........

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

Yes, she must still go for the medical. Failure to do so will result in the cancellation of her extension and removal from Canada.

timmituyi

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

Please I need to know if your mum's original visa expired before you made an application for an extension? Also did you fill a new TRV form or you only filled the extend your stay form. I need the info so as to know the next step to do for my son!

Also my daughter's visa is valid till next year. However, do I need to fill the extend your stay form for her too so she can get a visitor's record card?

Kindly advice.

Thank you.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
timmituyi said:
Hello,

Please I need to know if your mum's original visa expired before you made an application for an extension? Also did you fill a new TRV form or you only filled the extend your stay form. I need the info so as to know the next step to do for my son!

Also my daughter's visa is valid till next year. However, do I need to fill the extend your stay form for her too so she can get a visitor's record card?

Kindly advice.

Thank you.
A Visa (TRV) which is fixed on a passport is just an authorization to travel towards canada. it can be single entry or valid for several years. multiple entry visa or TRV means that the holder of such a visa can travel towards canada multiple times as long it is valid.

When ever someone travels towards canada, at the port of entry he presents his/her passport having the visa. at this stage the CBSA officer allow/grant him an entry which is usually for 6 months and it gives the visa holder a visitor status in canada.

So once a person enter into canada he/she gets a visitor status (the immigration stamp on passport) and the Visitor status is usually valid for 6 months which means the person can only stay in canada legally for 6 months (no matter his visa is valid for several years still he is only allowed to stay in canada for 6 months). In simple words multiple visa means one can make multiple trips to canada and each trip/stay can only be of 6 months.

Now if the person wants to stay more than 6 months (his allowed time to stay in canada) due to any reasons.. he/she can do this by submitting an application for an extension to stay in canada. anyone living in canada for more than 6 months without authorization will be considered illegal or overstaying in canada. To get this authorization to stay more is called "extension to stay/remain in canada as a visitor".

Extension to stay:
extension to stay applications can be submitted online or through paper (online applications are faster). in case of parents, children, spouses, inland/outland sponsorship, awaiting PR, willing to get married, to spend more time with family members etc are rarely refused. the application of extension is made atleast 30 days before the expiry of the visitor status of a person. if your visitor status/visa/allowed time expires you cannot file an extension application. so you must be with a valid status to make such application. if status is expired then you have to apply for "restoration of status"

On approval the person gets a visitor record ( a document mailed to his home address) which is valid for the requested time or usually for the next 6 months. when someone leaves canada his visitor status or visitor record expires.

Example:
Mr xyz had a 10 years multiple visa on his passport. he entered into canada on 1st January 2013 so legally he is only allowed to stay in canada till 1st of july (i.e only 6 months). on 25 june he submitted an application to extend his stay in canada for another 6 months for the reason that he wanted to spend more time with his family, CIC approves him and he is allowed to stay in canada till 1st jan 2014.
again during his stay his wife sponsored him and now MR xyz is awaiting his PR status so on 20 December 2013 (before 1st jan 2014) he made another application to extend his stay in canada again for the reason that he wanted to stay more with his wife and he is awaiting PR decision. cic again approves his stay and now this time CIC grants him 1 year extension means he can live in canada with a legal status till 1st jan 2015.

NOTE: no matter mr xyz visa was valid for 10 years but still he needs to extend his stay in canada as he only allowed to stay in canada for 6 months. Even if Mr xyz had single entry visa instead of multiple visa still the same rule apply.

Important: if you make an extension to stay application too early it may be refused so it should be made near to the expiry of current status BUT before expiry as one can only apply for extension with a valid legal status.

How to apply for extension:
go through this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend/visa.asp

if you want to apply online: http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp
a) check your eligibility
b) create a mycic account
c) fill/upload your application forms
d) pay your fee
e) submit your application

hope it helps you understand how extension to stay application works

timmituyi

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Awww....Kriv. Thank you so much for the lengthy explanation.

We all came in April 2nd but CSBA didn't stamp our passport but now i know we can't stay longer than 6 months at a stretch. So our 6 months will expire October 2nd (Correct me if i am wrong pls).

Will i have to make different application for my 2 kids under their father Mycic account since they are still minors. Or one application will suffice with a written letter and all supporting documents attached?

Will i need the visitor's record too? Asking because i have already submitted my open work permit application last month?

Thank you in anticipation of a favourable response.

T.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
timmituyi said:
Awww....Kriv. Thank you so much for the lengthy explanation.

We all came in April 2nd but CSBA didn't stamp our passport but now i know we can't stay longer than 6 months at a stretch. So our 6 months will expire October 2nd (Correct me if i am wrong pls).
yes you are right your stay or visitor status will expire by 2nd OCT and you have to leave canada by 2nd OCT. if you want to extend your stay you can apply for extension any time between 2nd September to 2nd Oct (but your application must be received by CIC before 2nd OCT) and during the application process if your visitor status expires (i.e after 2 OCT) you dont have to worry as you will be on implied status and will be allowed to live in canada till cic makes a decision on your extension application. on the approval of extension application you will receive your visitor record starting from 2nd oct till the date you requested or 6 months (i.e 2nd April 2016).

Will i have to make different application for my 2 kids under their father Mycic account since they are still minors. Or one application will suffice with a written letter and all supporting documents attached?
No you just need to create one mycic account under your name (i.e main applicant) and you will be submitting your kids application in the same mycic aacount. main applicant is the family member who himself/herself is applying for the extension.
its easy once you go through the eligibility questionnaire you will be asked certain questions (question related to who else is applying with you will also be asked) answer them and get a code (write down the code), create a myCIC account and add the given code there. you will see the applications of all family members in it coming automatically. just download each application fill it up and upload it again. all your kids will have to fill the form....all will be available in the mycic account. past all your supporting documents in a word document and upload them ...it easy when you will do it you will find it very easy.

Will i need the visitor's record too? Asking because i have already submitted my open work permit application last month?
No you do not need a visitor record unless you have one..and you said you do not have a visitor record..
you are confusing visitor record. to better understand visitor record read below

Visitor Record:
visitor record is usually issued either on port of entry (the time you entered canada) or is issued on the approval of an extension to stay application.

A) Visitor Record Document issued at port of entry:
If a CBSA officer at airport immigration believes that a foreign national's length of stay should be limited to a period of less than six months, a visitor record (IMM 1097) is issued as a means to exercise an element of control over the foreign national's length of stay, and specifies the validity date (or date the foreign national must leave Canada by); and it may also have other conditions.

B) Visitor record Document issued inside canada:
when a person apply for extension on the approval of his application CIC issues a visitor record document which indicates the length of his extended stay and the validity date (or date the person must leave canada by) with conditions like not allowed to work, medical request etc etc.

So currently you do not have visitor record and it will be issued to you on the approval of your extension application. Many applicants are applying for the extension for 2nd time so the application form mentions/ask about visitor record, visitor record number etc... so dont bother as you dont have it just state N/A. when you apply the second time ( i.e in 2016) you will be having a visitor record in hand which you will be mentioning it in your then extension application.

Hope it helps to clear your confusion

timmituyi

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Very clear sir!!! Hmmm....my brother Kriv. God bless you real good.

I will make the application for 3 of us in September then.

I hope i can use my open work permit (submitted April 28th - If approved) to work pending the time i apply for our visitors record (in Sept) without creating problems for me?

My son's visa expires mid Dec 2015! Can i also make a fresh application to US (canadian embassy) for renewal/new TRV same September to cover the visa duration as the rest of the family OR will the application for the TRV be too early - If yes, when is it advisable to apply for his TRV as he goes to school (JK) and wouldn't want him to stop school due to visa expiration.

I believe this should be my last question.

Thank you in anticipation of your valued response.

T.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
I hope i can use my open work permit (submitted April 28th - If approved) to work pending the time i apply for our visitors record (in Sept) without creating problems for me?
you wont face any problem as far as you are with a legal status in canada and any extension application is made while you are still in status (i.e sending application before the current status expiry date)

My son's visa expires mid Dec 2015! Can i also make a fresh application to US (canadian embassy) for renewal/new TRV same September to cover the visa duration as the rest of the family OR will the application for the TRV be too early - If yes, when is it advisable to apply for his TRV as he goes to school (JK) and wouldn't want him to stop school due to visa expiration.
the expiry of the visa (the sticker on the passport) wont effect the visitor status of your son if his extension is approved. the sticker on passport is not a status rather the stamp afix on the passport at the time of entry is the status or the visitor record that will be issued will be the legal status document. the sticker is just an authorization used for the purpose of travelling it is not a valid status proof.

you cannot apply for a TRV/visa from usa while living in canada NOR a visitor can apply TRV from within canada. TRV is issued from outside of canada where the applicant is physically present/living.

the option of TRV from within Canada is only for those who have valid study permit (students) or work permit (foreign worker),they can apply for a new TRV to return to Canada before they leave. and this TRV is again not a status or permission to stay in canada, it is just an authorization or ability to travel towards canada/or an option to return back to canada to continue their studies or jobs. TRV is only effective on borders. people who get TRV fom within canada must exit canada and re-enter into canada to make that TRV effective.

So your son wont need to renew his visa sticker (infact he cannot do it) he will be staying in canada legally on "extension to stay in canada" / "visitor record".Once you submit the extension application your son will continue going to school even if his visa expires as he will be on implied status till CIC decide on his extension application.

Only if he leaves canada then he will require a new TRV to enter into canada. remember a visitor record is a legal status to live in canada and it is not a document which can authorize re-entry.

candy_lite

Sep 10, 2011
Hi,

Can someone tell me if I need to go to boarder security to inform them that I filed the visa extension one month before my current visa expires?

Just worried because I'm in process of completing my documents for inland application.

Thanks a lot.

candy_lite

Sep 10, 2011
chanduone said:
Hi Folks,

I recently applied visa extension for my mother as a visitor and got approval notice for 6 months.
But before getting the approval notice, i got a message from CIC that she has to go for medical test with in 30 days.

Does she still require to go for medicals or not?? Please post your comments and experiences regarding the similar situation if any body came across.

Thanks

C..........

Hi chaudone,

Can you tell me how long did you have to wait for your mom's visa extension? Are you also applying for her pr?
Thanks

timmituyi

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chai..... :D ;D +1 for u oga Kriv.

God bless you sir. My mind is now at rest ;D ;D

Thanks once again.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
candy_lite said:
Hi,

Can someone tell me if I need to go to boarder security to inform them that I filed the visa extension one month before my current visa expires?

Just worried because I'm in process of completing my documents for inland application.

Thanks a lot.
No you are not require to report CBSA about your visa expiry or about your extension application. if your visa or your allowed stay duration is expired during the processing of your extension application You can still live in canada and you will remain with a legal status (i.e implied status) untill CIC makes a decision on your extension application.

chanduone

May 28, 2015
candy_lite said:
Hi,

It takes around 3 weeks to get final approval notice from CIC. but its just confirmation through email and updated on CIC website. they mentioned it takes another 2 weeks to get letter through post.. Thanks
C.......

Hi chaudone,

Can you tell me how long did you have to wait for your mom's visa extension? Are you also applying for her pr?
Thanks

sam.ums

Star Member
Jul 13, 2011
kriv said:
A Visa (TRV) which is fixed on a passport is just an authorization to travel towards canada. it can be single entry or valid for several years. multiple entry visa or TRV means that the holder of such a visa can travel towards canada multiple times as long it is valid.

When ever someone travels towards canada, at the port of entry he presents his/her passport having the visa. at this stage the CBSA officer allow/grant him an entry which is usually for 6 months and it gives the visa holder a visitor status in canada.

So once a person enter into canada he/she gets a visitor status (the immigration stamp on passport) and the Visitor status is usually valid for 6 months which means the person can only stay in canada legally for 6 months (no matter his visa is valid for several years still he is only allowed to stay in canada for 6 months). In simple words multiple visa means one can make multiple trips to canada and each trip/stay can only be of 6 months.

Now if the person wants to stay more than 6 months (his allowed time to stay in canada) due to any reasons.. he/she can do this by submitting an application for an extension to stay in canada. anyone living in canada for more than 6 months without authorization will be considered illegal or overstaying in canada. To get this authorization to stay more is called "extension to stay/remain in canada as a visitor".

Extension to stay:
extension to stay applications can be submitted online or through paper (online applications are faster). in case of parents, children, spouses, inland/outland sponsorship, awaiting PR, willing to get married, to spend more time with family members etc are rarely refused. the application of extension is made atleast 30 days before the expiry of the visitor status of a person. if your visitor status/visa/allowed time expires you cannot file an extension application. so you must be with a valid status to make such application. if status is expired then you have to apply for "restoration of status"

On approval the person gets a visitor record ( a document mailed to his home address) which is valid for the requested time or usually for the next 6 months. when someone leaves canada his visitor status or visitor record expires.

Example:
Mr xyz had a 10 years multiple visa on his passport. he entered into canada on 1st January 2013 so legally he is only allowed to stay in canada till 1st of july (i.e only 6 months). on 25 june he submitted an application to extend his stay in canada for another 6 months for the reason that he wanted to spend more time with his family, CIC approves him and he is allowed to stay in canada till 1st jan 2014.
again during his stay his wife sponsored him and now MR xyz is awaiting his PR status so on 20 December 2013 (before 1st jan 2014) he made another application to extend his stay in canada again for the reason that he wanted to stay more with his wife and he is awaiting PR decision. cic again approves his stay and now this time CIC grants him 1 year extension means he can live in canada with a legal status till 1st jan 2015.

NOTE: no matter mr xyz visa was valid for 10 years but still he needs to extend his stay in canada as he only allowed to stay in canada for 6 months. Even if Mr xyz had single entry visa instead of multiple visa still the same rule apply.

Important: if you make an extension to stay application too early it may be refused so it should be made near to the expiry of current status BUT before expiry as one can only apply for extension with a valid legal status.

How to apply for extension:
go through this link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend/visa.asp

if you want to apply online: http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp
a) check your eligibility
b) create a mycic account
c) fill/upload your application forms
d) pay your fee
e) submit your application

hope it helps you understand how extension to stay application works

Hi Kriv

Thanks for the detailed information for visitor visa.I need some information regarding the validity of stay in canada and port of entry.Hope you can help me out on this.
My parents Got visitor visa from india last month for 10 years.On invitation letter we mention their stay for 3 weeks (arrive on 2nd week of june) but now due to some work they not able to come on this period which we mention on invitation letter.So my question is if they will not able to come during this period or they want to come maybe in later stage or next year.It will give any problem to them on Port of entry as some one told my we have to visit during the period which mentioned on invitation letter.

Thanks in advance & hope you can clear my doubts on this.