+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending My Stay

L

Laura357

Hey everyone!

Just a quick question..

I am here in Canada from the UK for 6 months to stay with my partner.. I am due to return home on the 1st of September 09.. I applied to extend my stay for another 6 months so we could be together for a year to eventually become common law and she can apply to sponsor me to stay (not ready for marriage yet).. The application to extend my stay said to apply 30 days before i am due to leave.. I sent it in 45 days before and have still not heard back.. I checked at the processing times on the cic website and it said it would take 101 days to process?? Does anyone know if i will hear back from them with a yes or no within the 30 days?? Do i stay in Canada past September 1st until i hear back??

Any help would be appreciated!

Many Thanks,
Laura

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
I do not think it can be done in 30 days (as the timeline says around 104 days). You can stay in Canada till you hear from CIC.

L

Laura357

Thanks for the reply!

Just another question.. If i do stay in Canada until i hear from the CIC.. I will be staying past my allowed 6 months.. If they deny my extention do i then have to do anything because i would of stayed longer than my 6 months?

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
If they deny your extension they would ask you to leave Canada immediately (you will have 30 days).

Check this link if you need more information: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/temporary-visitor-visa-denied-advice-please-t22137.0.html

L

Laura357

Sorry what I was meaning to ask is.. Would I have to restore my status in Canada if my extention was denied and I overstayed my 6 months while I was waiting to hear from them? Or would it be fine because I was waiting for my application to go through?

Thanks for being so helpful.

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
It would be fine since you applied for an extension when your status was valid (you will be in implied status).

You apply for restoration only when you lose your status. You lose your status when you do not apply for an extension before the expiry of current status.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Laura357 said:
Sorry what I was meaning to ask is.. Would I have to restore my status in Canada if my extention was denied and I overstayed my 6 months while I was waiting to hear from them? Or would it be fine because I was waiting for my application to go through?

Thanks for being so helpful.
If your extension was denied, you have at least 30 days to leave Canada. But until you hear from CIC you have implied status, visitor's visa, pretty much the same conditions as when you entered Canada. You apply for restoration of status if you failed to request extension after the validity of your visitor's visa.

zissou

Jul 1, 2009
Hi. I'll possibly be doing the same thing as you in 6months time (i'm also from the UK). What exactly did you write on your form? That you're 'exploring the relationship' or something? I'm really nervous that mine will get denied because my plans will be kinda out the window.

babycakes

Star Member
Jan 28, 2009
Hi,

If I have implied status, can I go to the US and come back here in Canada? Or I cannot go out of Canada while I am under Implied Status??

Thanks!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
babycakes said:
Hi,

If I have implied status, can I go to the US and come back here in Canada? Or I cannot go out of Canada while I am under Implied Status??

Thanks!
Hi Babycakes,

You have to wait till you receive a decision on your application inside Canada.

mdmm

Aug 24, 2009
I have quite a similar question for my mother in law planning to visit us by the end of this year.she will travel by air from Los angeles to Toronto.
She can walk iinside home but is not very healthy to walk longer to go back after six month then come back.she will come by air to Toronto from Los angeles.If she try to extand her stay in Toronto, does she need any Visa/permission without going back to USA ???
Or what will happen if she over stay for a few months more than six months.
I would appreciate any practical advice