+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending My Stay

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
mdmm,

If she overstayed, she might get deported and barred entry for a year. Here's a link from this forum about another American's case:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/complicated-situation-for-an-american-t24183.0.html

You might be able to extend her stay here too by exiting at the border for probably a day or two and coming right back in. It might be worth a try. You can call CIC though just to be sure of your possible options and if she's not capable of working anymore then maybe the officer at the port of entry will not think she's staying longer because she's going to work here.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
babycakes said:
Hi,

If I have implied status, can I go to the US and come back here in Canada? Or I cannot go out of Canada while I am under Implied Status??

Thanks!
is this implied status valid as long as we get reply about visitor's visa extention? if they extend visa - it will be extended from the date the 1st visa was over?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Suin said:
is this implied status valid as long as we get reply about visitor's visa extention? if they extend visa - it will be extended from the date the 1st visa was over?
Hi Suin,

When you request for an extension you have to indicate on the form up when you want your extension and for what reasons. If your request is granted then you are allowed to stay up to the date stamped on your approved extension.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
hello, job_seeker
as I understand it is up to them to decide the period they will extend my visa?
thank you

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Suin said:
hello, job_seeker
as I understand it is up to them to decide the period they will extend my visa?
thank you
You specify a date and if it is beyond what they feel is enough time to finish whatever reason you had indicated, then they might give you a shorter time:'( If you did not indicate a date then maybe that's the time they decide the length of extension.

torbole

Aug 26, 2009
Laura357, did you get your extension? What did you first say was your reason for visiting? Was it "visiting Canada" or "visiting your girlfriend"?? THanks! I have a similiar situation and wanted to know who else was able to go this route.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
torbole said:
Laura357, did you get your extension? What did you first say was your reason for visiting? Was it "visiting Canada" or "visiting your girlfriend"?? THanks! I have a similiar situation and wanted to know who else was able to go this route.
Hahaha the surest way to get a denial would be to say you're visiting your girlfriend:(. I don't know. Honesty is the best policy- so being honest would be the proper thing to do. But then if you put extend stay because you're visiting your girl friend, hmmmm, then the officer might think you won't leave when your allowable stay is due. Sad... Are you from a visa exempt country? Then leaving the country for a few days would be your best bet but be ready for a reason when you come back in again.... tough.

torbole

Aug 26, 2009
I agree with you job_seeker! It's always better to tell the truth. I wouldn't dream of lying, it's too risky. Though reading some entries on this forum, I wonder what people are thinking when they do things. Oh well, to each his own. With extension, I guess it's a 50/50 chance what the IO will say. A bit too risky. Like I said earlier, I guess our only possibility right now will be marriage, though we didn't want to have to do that right now. I suppose we've waited long enough. Ahahahhah Especially when I hear some people get married after a few days or months of knowing each other. Yikes! Anyways, I just wanted to know if others were able to extend their "visitor" visa past the 6 months, or even change it to "student" visa without too many questions or even without a refusal.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
torbole said:
I agree with you job_seeker! It's always better to tell the truth. I wouldn't dream of lying, it's too risky. Though reading some entries on this forum, I wonder what people are thinking when they do things. Oh well, to each his own. With extension, I guess it's a 50/50 chance what the IO will say. A bit too risky. Like I said earlier, I guess our only possibility right now will be marriage, though we didn't want to have to do that right now. I suppose we've waited long enough. Ahahahhah Especially when I hear some people get married after a few days or months of knowing each other. Yikes! Anyways, I just wanted to know if others were able to extend their "visitor" visa past the 6 months, or even change it to "student" visa without too many questions or even without a refusal.
Changing your visa from visitor to student might work but you have to do this the proper way too- acceptance from a college or university; funds for your tuition and stay.... I guess doing some more research and reading might help you find a viable solution. There's a new member who's a member of CSIC or something (sorry forgot the exact acronym). Might be worth trying to start a thread addressed to him to ask his opinion. He is ImmigrationExpert.

torbole

Aug 26, 2009
Yes, I know that there are proper channels to change from visitor to student. Even that depends on whether or not they accept your letter of acceptance from a college, university or language school. Though most people I've spoken to (including an Immigration Lawyer) have told me that most are accepted. Still, there's always that chance!! Thanks for the suggestion, job_seeker (to ask ImmigrationExpert). I'll look into it.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
we were honest with officer and got 6 months of stay

lynnard

Star Member
Jan 6, 2009
During the implied status of waiting for the change status to visitor is it allowed to look for a job or employer while waiting for the decission of cic?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Suin said:
we were honest with officer and got 6 months of stay
Hi Suin,

Honest like reason for extension is visiting a fiance? So the extension was from the last date of the valid stay, you got six more months? Please elaborate. Thanks.

zubee

Sep 5, 2009
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi all,

just like most of u, i'm struggling with what reason to give to the extend application. I'm with my fiance and planning for our wedding next year around MAY, I were came Canada since June 2009 and i need to apply for a entend around Nov 2009. I'm thinking about what i should say for the REASON..... if they deny my extend, i need to get back to HK and come again for our wedding? if do it in a HONEST way, tell them & show them what we are dealing with church for our wedding? will it help or just a big reason to let them DENY my application?

what do u guys think?