+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending My Stay

torbole

Aug 26, 2009
I'ld like to know the same thing from Suin (as job_seeker asked). Did you ask for an extension as visitor?

L

Laura357

GOT MY EXTENTION IN THE MAIL YESTERDAY! Woohoo..So happy!
Goes to show, Honesty is the best policy :)

ryanmacd

Nov 15, 2009
Congrats Laura!

I'm curious what you put on your extension? Did you just tell them you wanted to stay with your partner and then apply for common-law status? I am in the exact position as you in regards to not being ready to marry, but wanting to co-habitat with my partner and be with them. I have not been able to find a concrete answer to this question and I'm hoping you can finally answer it for me :)

and congrats again! I guess the next big step is the sponsorship process. goodluck!

L

Laura357

Hey Ryanmacd,

Yes i just put that i want to live with my partner for a year to eventually have her sponsor me as her common law partner.

Sorry for the late reply!!!!

Good luck! Let me know if you get your extension.

ryanmacd

Nov 15, 2009
Laura357 said:
Hey Ryanmacd,

Yes i just put that i want to live with my partner for a year to eventually have her sponsor me as her common law partner.

Sorry for the late reply!!!!

Good luck! Let me know if you get your extension.
No worries, thanks for the reply. I'm just most worried that they won't admit her into the country because she won't have a job and her only ties back to America are her family. I've been hearing the most that it depends on the customs agent you speak to and that makes me nervous because neither of us can afford to have her not admitted into the country before we both get married. I hate that some of it is luck of the draw.

L

Laura357

ryanmacd said:
No worries, thanks for the reply. I'm just most worried that they won't admit her into the country because she won't have a job and her only ties back to America are her family. I've been hearing the most that it depends on the customs agent you speak to and that makes me nervous because neither of us can afford to have her not admitted into the country before we both get married. I hate that some of it is luck of the draw.

It does seem to be luck of the draw and that makes me nervous. She seems to be in the same situation as me. No job, only tie is family. I am applying in March so i will let you know how it all goes. Fingers crossed.

ryanmacd

Nov 15, 2009
well good luck to you! we won't be applying for PR till later in the year, for now we're just interested in her coming up and spending time with me and then if everything is working out great i'm going to marry her and then we'll send in the PR :)