+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extend my stay in Canada, Work permit expires in 2 months, Permanent residence application in progress

Owaisk

Jun 14, 2018
Hi Guys,
I want to extend my stay in Canada my work permit expires on the 22nd of Nov, I and spouse have filed the Permanent residence application (under Canadian experience class) which is in progress, the status bar of the application is 100% complete (on 22nd Sep) but there are no updates provided yet. We are also waiting for a biometric scan phone call appointment.

Here is the P.R application status
Review of eligibility:
We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Review of medical results: May 21, 2020 You passed the medical exam.
Review of additional documents: We do not need additional documents.
Interview: You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
Biometrics: We have not received your fingerprints. Check your biometrics request message below for details.
Background check: We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
Final decision: Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

I'm currently working and would like to continue working, what are my options now, can you please advise.

ishakeshavan

Star Member
Oct 27, 2015
Hi Guys,
I want to extend my stay in Canada my work permit expires on the 22nd of Nov, I and spouse have filed the Permanent residence application (under Canadian experience class) which is in progress, the status bar of the application is 100% complete (on 22nd Sep) but there are no updates provided yet. We are also waiting for a biometric scan phone call appointment.

Here is the P.R application status
Review of eligibility:
We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Review of medical results: May 21, 2020 You passed the medical exam.
Review of additional documents: We do not need additional documents.
Interview: You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
Biometrics: We have not received your fingerprints. Check your biometrics request message below for details.
Background check: We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
Final decision: Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

I'm currently working and would like to continue working, what are my options now, can you please advise.
You can file Bridge open work permit and continue to work under Implied status (for the same employer) until the BOWP or PR is approved. Details here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html. BOWP processing time is 180+ days at this time.

Reactions: Owaisk

Owaisk

Jun 14, 2018
  1. What is implied status can you provide a link to it?
  2. Will BOWP cover my wife's work permit as well?
  3. Although born in Toronto, Will our newborn need a visa as well?
thanks for the quick response

ishakeshavan

Star Member
Oct 27, 2015
  1. What is implied status can you provide a link to it?
  2. Will BOWP cover my wife's work permit as well?
  3. Although born in Toronto, Will our newborn need a visa as well?
thanks for the quick response
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/bowp-spouse.694008/

1. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html
2. Refer the thread above
3. I guess the newborn will have a Canadian passport, in such case I don't think a visa is required (I'll leave it to other members to confirm)

Owaisk

Jun 14, 2018
BOWP Eligibility Criteria:
have completed one of the following APR stages:
  • electronic application for permanent residence (e-APR) submitted under Express Entry has passed the section 10 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) completeness check; or
  • receipt of a positive eligibility assessment on their paper APR submitted by mail under one of the economic classes above
How do I check that for my permanent residence application?

ishakeshavan

Star Member
Oct 27, 2015
BOWP Eligibility Criteria:
have completed one of the following APR stages:
  • electronic application for permanent residence (e-APR) submitted under Express Entry has passed the section 10 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) completeness check; or
  • receipt of a positive eligibility assessment on their paper APR submitted by mail under one of the economic classes above
How do I check that for my permanent residence application?
you don't have to wait to meet the criteria to file the BOWP application; unless the completeness check is over, a decision will not be taken on the application but you can still continue to stay with implied status. What I know is if you have medical status updated/passed, the R10 completeness check is over.