+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

BOWP & Spouse

MaplePandaUK

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
My wife and I are currently living in Canada both on an IEC work permit. We are currently waiting for the completion of our PR application under the CEC. I am the primary applicant on our PR application.

I now need to apply for BOWP to continue working when my work permit expires in a few months. My wife is currently not working. I don't fully understand how this process works where we can both stay passed the expiry date of our IEC permits whilst our PR process is awaiting completion.

My question is, do we both need to apply for a BOWP, or can I 'add her' to my application?

The Canada.ca website says to be eligible for BOWP, you must:
  • be the principal applicant on your permanent residence application
Which is my wife is not.

Please can somebody advise how this process works?

Reactions: Maheen Hanif

PAINKILLER28

Jan 24, 2018
You need to answer these questions first:
1.have you submitted your pr application yet ?
2. Is your wife included in the application as a dependent ?

MaplePandaUK

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
You need to answer these questions first:
1.have you submitted your pr application yet ?
2. Is your wife included in the application as a dependent ?
Hi,

Yes, the PR application is submitted. Passed the medical, stuck on pause because of biometrics. My wife is included on the application as a dependent.

MaplePandaUK

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
That sounds good. You can apply for a BOWP with your AOR then, and so does your wife.
Thank you for your help. I started the application and it seems we can apply to extend our work permits together through the same portal as it were, but we just need to provide slightly less documentation for her part.

Reactions: PAINKILLER28

DB233

May 3, 2020
Hi - just adding to this thread as I have a very similar scenario, so wondered if anyone perhaps had any experience with this.

My situation mostly mirrors the OP, I'm awaiting the outcome of my EE application (CEC-Inland, currently on soon-to-expire IEC), with with my common-law partner listed as a dependent on the EE application (she's also currently on IEC, expiring the same day as mine). On the BOWP application I'm able to 'include' my partner, and it has a separate section for her documentation.

However, I'm finding conflicting information online over whether including her on this application will still allow her to continue working in her current role (on implied status if necessary, due to the processing times), once her IEC permit expires. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Thanks in advance!

Tommyboy007

Star Member
Sep 2, 2020
Hi Experts,

I am on a closed work permit, after I submit my application for BOWP, can I work with the employer of my choice when BOWP application is under process ? or I have to wait to get BOWP in hand to start work with other employers?

Thanks in advance!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi - just adding to this thread as I have a very similar scenario, so wondered if anyone perhaps had any experience with this.

My situation mostly mirrors the OP, I'm awaiting the outcome of my EE application (CEC-Inland, currently on soon-to-expire IEC), with with my common-law partner listed as a dependent on the EE application (she's also currently on IEC, expiring the same day as mine). On the BOWP application I'm able to 'include' my partner, and it has a separate section for her documentation.

However, I'm finding conflicting information online over whether including her on this application will still allow her to continue working in her current role (on implied status if necessary, due to the processing times), once her IEC permit expires. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Thanks in advance!
You are in luck that IRCC has finally made its position on this clear in writing:
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1476&top=25

Before, the rule was that since IEC permits were not extendible, then no "implied status" was available to IEC permit holders. Then, I think it was last year, they stated IEC permit holders had implied status as temporary residents only, not as workers. Now as of 2020 it seems you may continue to work. This makes life easier for everyone : )

Keep in mind that rules can and do change, so old posts which may have been correct at the time, might not reflect current rules.

Reactions: DB233

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi Experts,

I am on a closed work permit, after I submit my application for BOWP, can I work with the employer of my choice when BOWP application is under process ? or I have to wait to get BOWP in hand to start work with other employers?

Thanks in advance!
"Implied status" means you continue to hold the status of your expired permit, until your new permit is approved. If your soon-to-expire permit is closed, then your status will remain the same until your BOWP is approved. You cannot change employers until then.

Tommyboy007

Star Member
Sep 2, 2020
Thanks a lot, jes_ON.
Could someone please let me know what are the timelines of BOWP processing currently? After I submit the application with AOR, how long it will take to get BOWP in hand

DB233

May 3, 2020
You are in luck that IRCC has finally made its position on this clear in writing:
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1476&top=25

Before, the rule was that since IEC permits were not extendible, then no "implied status" was available to IEC permit holders. Then, I think it was last year, they stated IEC permit holders had implied status as temporary residents only, not as workers. Now as of 2020 it seems you may continue to work. This makes life easier for everyone : )

Keep in mind that rules can and do change, so old posts which may have been correct at the time, might not reflect current rules.
Thanks jes_ON!

I actually submitted my BOWP a few days ago with my partner included on the application. The document checklist had slots for her, asking for pretty much all of the same information as myself - so it appears that she will have the same implied status since she has an open work permit application in process, even though she's not technically able to apply for a BOWP by herself (as a dependent on my EE application).

My primary concern/confusion was whether she would also still be able to work, or would have to leave her job. However I believe she can continue as she is technically applying 'for another type of work permit that is not an IEC work permit' on the link you posted, which would also have her on implied status. Or at least I hope!

rmalik29

Star Member
Sep 14, 2020
My wife and I are currently living in Canada both on an IEC work permit. We are currently waiting for the completion of our PR application under the CEC. I am the primary applicant on our PR application.

I now need to apply for BOWP to continue working when my work permit expires in a few months. My wife is currently not working. I don't fully understand how this process works where we can both stay passed the expiry date of our IEC permits whilst our PR process is awaiting completion.

My question is, do we both need to apply for a BOWP, or can I 'add her' to my application?

The Canada.ca website says to be eligible for BOWP, you must:
  • be the principal applicant on your permanent residence application
Which is my wife is not.

Please can somebody advise how this process works?
Did you get the second AOR which states that you have passed the completeness check? I am also applying for BOWP and realized that you need the second AOR to prove that your application has passed the completeness check which I haven't still received it even after 6 months of submitting my application for express entry. I also got the request to submit my biometrics, please let me know what's your situation.

Tommyboy007

Star Member
Sep 2, 2020
Did you get the second AOR which states that you have passed the completeness check? I am also applying for BOWP and realized that you need the second AOR to prove that your application has passed the completeness check which I haven't still received it even after 6 months of submitting my application for express entry. I also got the request to submit my biometrics, please let me know what's your situation.
Did you apply for BOWP already or waiting for r10 check to get complete before you apply for it.