+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry Step by step instructions.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
vaibhav007us said:
Do Fixed Deposits (which can be easily liquated) considered for proof of funds?
Yes, Fixed Deposits in the primary applicant's name are considered as settlement funds. You will have to submit copies of FD Advices/Receipts stamped by the bank as proof.

Additionally, you also need a letter from your bank, commonly referred to as a Balance Certificate.

vaibhav007us said:
Thanks. The minimum funds should be maintained for 6 months prior to profile creation or ITA?
The reason for asking 6 months statement is to ensure that the applicant has not taken a loan borrowed money to show as POF. As long as you can prove that the funds did not originate from loan or borrowed money, it is not necessary to have the FD to be 6 months old.

_Aspirant

Feb 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Stanlee said:
Yes, Fixed Deposits in the primary applicant's name are considered as settlement funds. You will have to submit copies of FD Advices/Receipts stamped by the bank as proof.

Additionally, you also need a letter from your bank, commonly referred to as a Balance Certificate.

The reason for asking 6 months statement is to ensure that the applicant has not taken a loan borrowed money to show as POF. As long as you can prove that the funds did not originate from loan or borrowed money, it is not necessary to have the FD to be 6 months old.
Hi Stanlee,

What if the FDs are in Spouse's name (co-applicant's name)? Would that suffice provided an LOE?

Thanks

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
_Aspirant said:
Hi Stanlee,

What if the FDs are in Spouse's name (co-applicant's name)? Would that suffice provided an LOE?

Thanks
Preferably, it should be in the name of primary applicant. If the FDs are in the name of spouse who is a co-applicant in your PR application, then you need to submit a Self Declaration signed by your spouse. Spouse should state in the declaration that he/she is a co-applicant in your PR application and the FDs under question (provide details) are to be used for migration purposes for you as a family and he/she does not have any objection for the same. Also, submit an LOE for POF mentioning these details.

_Aspirant

Feb 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Stanlee said:
Preferably, it should be in the name of primary applicant. If the FDs are in the name of spouse who is a co-applicant in your PR application, then you need to submit a Self Declaration signed by your spouse. Spouse should state in the declaration that he/she is a co-applicant in your PR application and the FDs under question (provide details) are to be used for migration purposes for you as a family and he/she does not have any objection for the same. Also, submit an LOE for POF mentioning these details.
One more question. These FDs are in my wife's name and they are running from before our marriage. There are 4 FDs and combining them give me a substantial amount to contribute to the total funds. As I said they were done before my marriage by my wife's father and in the name of my wife so all the FDs are stated as: My Wife's name d/o My father in laws name. He already gave these FDs to us and told us that we can use them as and when we like. He doesn't have any objection.

Now, would a single letter from my wife suffice or I should get a letter from my father in law as well stating that he doesn't have any problem?

Or I should make some changes in FDs like adding my name or dissolve them and have that amount in my account.

I do not want to go for the second option as I have already talked to the banks and adding my name would require dissolving the FDs and start them fresh. We would loose interest and you know the taxation burdens we have in India to play with such a hefty amount.

As always, I am grateful to your advice.

Thanks

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
_Aspirant said:
One more question. These FDs are in my wife's name and they are running from before our marriage. There are 4 FDs and combining them give me a substantial amount to contribute to the total funds. As I said they were done before my marriage by my wife's father and in the name of my wife so all the FDs are stated as: My Wife's name d/o My father in laws name. He already gave these FDs to us and told us that we can use them as and when we like. He doesn't have any objection.

Now, would a single letter from my wife suffice or I should get a letter from my father in law as well stating that he doesn't have any problem?

Or I should make some changes in FDs like adding my name or dissolve them and have that amount in my account.

I do not want to go for the second option as I have already talked to the banks and adding my name would require dissolving the FDs and start them fresh. We would loose interest and you know the taxation burdens we have in India to play with such a hefty amount.

Thanks
If they're more than 6 months old, you shouldn't need a letter from your father-in-law.

_Aspirant

Feb 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
istari said:
If they're more than 6 months old, you shouldn't need a letter from your father-in-law.
Yes they are:

Oldest from 2010.
Youngest from 2013.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
_Aspirant said:

Thanks
The FDs can be in your wife's name, you need not liquidate it. As mentioned above, get the Bank Certificate/Balanace Certificate on bank letter head, copy of FD Advice/Receipts stamped by the bank, self declaration signed by your wife and a Letter of Explanation.

In my personal opinion, even if the above funds is sufficient to meet the fund requirements, would suggest you to show some contribution to POF in terms of your savings account statements, salary account statements as you are the primary applicant.

All the best!

FBack54

May 25, 2015
Experts,

I'm filling out my online application and my document checklist has "police certificates (multiple) (required)" even though I haven't lived in any country other than Canada for more than 6 months consecutively since turning 18. I have spent more than 6 months in aggregate in Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, but not in one go. Why am I being asked for police certificates? Is this just a standard part of the document checklist?

Also, are we not required to upload our CELPIP test results? That is not on my checklist either. Really appreciate any advice you may have.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
FBack54 said:
Experts,

I'm filling out my online application and my document checklist has "police certificates (multiple) (required)" even though I haven't lived in any country other than Canada for more than 6 months consecutively since turning 18. I have spent more than 6 months in aggregate in Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, but not in one go. Why am I being asked for police certificates? Is this just a standard part of the document checklist?

Also, are we not required to upload our CELPIP test results? That is not on my checklist either. Really appreciate any advice you may have.
You will need Police Certificates from Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. Please refer to the below extract from CIC website.

As part of a complete application, applicants, their spouse or common-law partner and their dependent children 18 years of age or older (including non-accompanying dependants) must submit a valid police certificate for all countries or territories (except Canada) in which they have lived for a total of six months or more, since the age of 18.

Note: This includes the requirement to provide a police certificate for countries in which the individual has traveled for six months or more, whether or not the individual had an established residential address during this time.

You will have to combine all the police certificates into one pdf before uploading the same.

CIC can access your CELPIP results online (as they have the date and reference number of the test). However, if you want to upload it, you can combine it with educational documents.

_Aspirant

Feb 29, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Stanlee said:
The FDs can be in your wife's name, you need not liquidate it. As mentioned above, get the Bank Certificate/Balanace Certificate on bank letter head, copy of FD Advice/Receipts stamped by the bank, self declaration signed by your wife and a Letter of Explanation.

In my personal opinion, even if the above funds is sufficient to meet the fund requirements, would suggest you to show some contribution to POF in terms of your savings account statements, salary account statements as you are the primary applicant.

All the best!
Thanks Stanlee.

You caught me right. The FDs are contributing 40% of the total amount required in my POF. Rest 60% are from my saving account. I have maintained the balance for quite some time so as to satisfy the condition of 6 months average balance. I was worried because of FDs not being considered in POF but you guys relieved me of that.

Really appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks to Istari as well.

jimmy2times

Jan 2, 2016
Hello experts,

I have what many might think is a silly question. Nevertheless, here goes:

I wanted some clarity on what counts as continuous work-experience. My profile:

2.5years of continuous, full-time, paid work-ex
2 year break to complete my MBA
4 years of continuous, full-time, paid work-ex

So, a total of 6.5 years but does CIC take into account only the last 4 years?

Thanks in advance!
-Jimmy

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jimmy2times said:
Hello experts,

I have what many might think is a silly question. Nevertheless, here goes:

I wanted some clarity on what counts as continuous work-experience. My profile:

2.5years of continuous, full-time, paid work-ex
2 year break to complete my MBA
4 years of continuous, full-time, paid work-ex

So, a total of 6.5 years but does CIC take into account only the last 4 years?

Thanks in advance!
-Jimmy
This isn't a silly question; many people have been very confused by CIC's ambiguous phrasing.

Only 1 year of your work experience has to be continuous. (Or if you are applying under CEC, it doesn't have to be continuous at all.) All the rest can be in smaller chunks.

So you have 6.5 years of work experience.

(But if you are applying under FSW, you only get points for 3 years of experience.)