+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry for Foreign Lawyers

richielee

Aug 14, 2019
I understand that foreign lawyers will have to be accredited by the National Committee of Accreditation and take the relevant Bar exams in Canada before they can practice. I also understand that foreign lawyers do not have to be licensed in Canada before they can apply for a Canadian PR and Express Entry.

However, for the purposes of applying for a Canadian PR and Express Entry under the Federal Skilled Worker program:-

1. Should my Bachelor of Laws degree from UK OR professional certificate (issued by the legal qualifying board to practice law in the home country e.g. Malaysia) be submitted for the Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)? Would the professional certificate be evaluated to be valid and equal to a Canadian one?

2. Would the application under the Federal Skilled Worker program be made as a lawyer or possibly, a paralegal?

Hoping someone can shed some light on this! Thanks!!!

Umuwildan

Aug 23, 2019
I understand that foreign lawyers will have to be accredited by the National Committee of Accreditation and take the relevant Bar exams in Canada before they can practice. I also understand that foreign lawyers do not have to be licensed in Canada before they can apply for a Canadian PR and Express Entry.

However, for the purposes of applying for a Canadian PR and Express Entry under the Federal Skilled Worker program:-

1. Should my Bachelor of Laws degree from UK OR professional certificate (issued by the legal qualifying board to practice law in the home country e.g. Malaysia) be submitted for the Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)? Would the professional certificate be evaluated to be valid and equal to a Canadian one?

2. Would the application under the Federal Skilled Worker program be made as a lawyer or possibly, a paralegal?

Evaluate the two certificates. Your NOC is 4112

Noah999

Aug 19, 2019

This thread will answer your questions : https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/bachelor-of-law-llb-eca.556498/

MarieRogers

Jan 12, 2023
When it comes to the Educational Credential Assessment (ECA), you'll need to submit your Bachelor of Laws degree from UK or your professional certificate (issued by the legal qualifying board in your home country) to be evaluated. The professional certificate will be evaluated to see if it's valid and equal to a Canadian one.

Jan 12, 2023
First, to practice law in Canada, foreign lawyers will need to be accredited by the National Committee of Accreditation and take the relevant Bar exams. However, for the purposes of applying for Canadian Permanent Residence (PR) and Express Entry, foreign lawyers do not need to be licensed in Canada before they can apply.
As for the Federal Skilled Worker program, it's likely that you'll apply as a lawyer. In my own experience, I have found that working with Houston Auto Accident Lawyers was helpful in guiding through the whole process.

Last edited: