Mar 7, 2016
Kurdistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Paris
AOR Received.
13-11-2016
So if I'm in progress since 18th of May I shouldn't expect anything before end of the year?!
Interestingly, my application status changed to (in progress) on 18 May as well, though my AOR was earlier than yours (13 Nov).

As for your question, no can really tell. Once your application goes into SS, there is no limit to how long it would take. One member here whose name was Sherif and he was from Egypt had his SS done in the relatively short time of six months, and I've heard that there are some Chinese applicants (mainly on Whatsapp) who have had their SS done in 3-4 months, but for the most part, SS takes 8 months at the very least.

To get into more details, once IRCC decides to initiate SS, your application is forwarded to CSIS, and there it could take anywhere between 1 day to 4 months, usually it is done at the 3 month mark. Once your application is cleared by them, it is forwarded to CBSA, and this is where the problem is. Your application at CBSA could take months on end, with some applicants having had their application at CBSA for over a year. I hear that there seem to be a lot of backlog at CBSA from past applicants (not only Express Entry, but others like family sponsorship and refugees/illegal immigrants). Problem is IRCC has no control over CSIS and CBSA, so there is nothing anyone can do about it. In fact, there are articles on the net showing that even IRCC is somewhat fed up with CBSA's long processing time. Once CBSA clears your application, it is sent back to IRCC and it could take up to two months before they send you your PPR, and then, have this nightmare over.

So, add your normal processing time (5.5 months for you), to about 3 months for CSIS, then another 6 months for CBSA, then another two months for the final review by IRCC, and it all adds up to about 16 months, give or take.

Please understand that all these numbers are hypothetical as there is no formal guideline to how long security screening will take. These numbers are simply taken from waiting periods that some applicants have gone through. As I said earlier, there are those who have had their SS done in 3-4 months, so we can only wait and hope ours would be the same. Hope this clarifies things for you.

maged_mmh

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2015
Nomination.....
11-2016
AOR Received.
6-12-2016
Med's Done....
16-12-2016
So how come people did take less than a month from aor to ppr?

Does it mean they never went through any security whatsoever?!

This is not what a "process" is expected to be applied

Zagros Ahmed

Star Member
Mar 7, 2016
Kurdistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Paris
AOR Received.
13-11-2016
So how come people did take less than a month from aor to ppr?

Does it mean they never went through any security whatsoever?!

This is not what a "process" is expected to be applied
They get PPR withing a couple of months because their applications never undergo (Security Screening). You see, there are two types of security: one which we can call (normal) security, which takes at most two months, and the other is called (Security Screening -or- SS for short), and this is the one that takes a long time as I explained in my earlier post. Less than 20% of applications undergo SS, and no one knows exactly why these applications undergo such a process, though it is usually because they are perceived to be high-risk either because of their nationality, or history in military service, or travel to dangerous countries...etc. Bottom line is, we are unlucky enough to be chosen for SS. Concerning your earlier question as to how long SS takes, just today an applicant who was under SS got his PPR. His AOR was in August 2016, and his SS started in October 2016. This means his security clearance took 10 months. By contrast, you and I have been under SS for only 3 months. This means we still have a long way to go.

Here I will quote an earlier post of mine which might be useful for you to understand SS:

There are two types of security, normal security and (security screening - or - SS). Applications under SS usually take much longer to process and that is why all of us here who have applied in November are still waiting for PPR.

The only way to know whether you are under SS or not is by ordering GCMS notes. If you have received GCMS notes in the recent past, can you please check it and see if you see the term (security screening) under the (SUB ACTIVITIES) section. You can check this link below to see what it usually looks like and where it is written (bottom of the page here):

https://preview.ibb.co/j4F7TF/Screen_Shot_2017_06_03_at_12_39_11_PM.png

Reactions: maged_mmh

maged_mmh

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2015
Nomination.....
11-2016
AOR Received.
6-12-2016
Med's Done....
16-12-2016

nomad777

Jan 29, 2016
Interestingly, my application status changed to (in progress) on 18 May as well, though my AOR was earlier than yours (13 Nov).

As for your question, no can really tell. Once your application goes into SS, there is no limit to how long it would take. One member here whose name was Sherif and he was from Egypt had his SS done in the relatively short time of six months, and I've heard that there are some Chinese applicants (mainly on Whatsapp) who have had their SS done in 3-4 months, but for the most part, SS takes 8 months at the very least.

To get into more details, once IRCC decides to initiate SS, your application is forwarded to CSIS, and there it could take anywhere between 1 day to 4 months, usually it is done at the 3 month mark. Once your application is cleared by them, it is forwarded to CBSA, and this is where the problem is. Your application at CBSA could take months on end, with some applicants having had their application at CBSA for over a year. I hear that there seem to be a lot of backlog at CBSA from past applicants (not only Express Entry, but others like family sponsorship and refugees/illegal immigrants). Problem is IRCC has no control over CSIS and CBSA, so there is nothing anyone can do about it. In fact, there are articles on the net showing that even IRCC is somewhat fed up with CBSA's long processing time. Once CBSA clears your application, it is sent back to IRCC and it could take up to two months before they send you your PPR, and then, have this nightmare over.

So, add your normal processing time (5.5 months for you), to about 3 months for CSIS, then another 6 months for CBSA, then another two months for the final review by IRCC, and it all adds up to about 16 months, give or take.

Please understand that all these numbers are hypothetical as there is no formal guideline to how long security screening will take. These numbers are simply taken from waiting periods that some applicants have gone through. As I said earlier, there are those who have had their SS done in 3-4 months, so we can only wait and hope ours would be the same. Hope this clarifies things for you.
I think it usually takes 12 months or more from AOR for those with military background, applying with spouse or from very very high risk countries. Not always the case but usually. This is only in terms of security screening.

I really searched this forum to find those with security screening cause I have nothing better to do and I found on average people get PPR from 8-10 days since AOR and maximum 1 year since AOR. There are a very small % who got PPR after more than 12 months since AOR.

maged_mmh

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2015
Nomination.....
11-2016
AOR Received.
6-12-2016
Med's Done....
16-12-2016
I think it usually takes 12 months or more from AOR for those with military background, applying with spouse or from very very high risk countries. Not always the case but usually. This is only in terms of security screening.

I really searched this forum to find those with security screening cause I have nothing better to do and I found on average people get PPR from 8-10 days since AOR and maximum 1 year since AOR. There are a very small % who got PPR after more than 12 months since AOR.
"Very small percentage" of what? Applicants of security screening?

Like 1% small or 30% small?

nomad777

Jan 29, 2016
"Very small percentage" of what? Applicants of security screening?

Like 1% small or 30% small?
From what I have seen so far most people get PPR within a year since their AOR. I don't thnk it's 30% maybe like 5% or something. Yes, applicants of security screening. Just go through old threads and posts for people with security screening and see when they get PPR and for those that took longer what they have in common.

maged_mmh

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2015
Nomination.....
11-2016
AOR Received.
6-12-2016
Med's Done....
16-12-2016
From what I have seen so far most people get PPR within a year since their AOR. I don't thnk it's 30% maybe like 5% or something. Yes, applicants of security screening. Just go through old threads and posts for people with security screening and see when they get PPR and for those that took longer what they have in common.
I saw folks waiting since Feb 2015 !

maged_mmh

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2015
Nomination.....
11-2016
AOR Received.
6-12-2016
Med's Done....
16-12-2016
Yuh there are some waiting like that. I think they applied with their spouse or it might be paper application which takes longer.
they're fsw ee

maged_mmh

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2015
Nomination.....
11-2016
AOR Received.
6-12-2016
Med's Done....
16-12-2016
In fact, paper based applications are being processed faster than EE nowadays... go figure :rolleyes:

daadventure

May 17, 2017
Category........
PNP
Nomination.....
20-10-2016
AOR Received.
15-11-2016
Hello folks,

If Security screening took that long, what about medical and language test we took? do we have to take them again if they are expired ? thanks.

PNP-Inland
AOR- Nov. 15, 2016

Last edited: