+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express entry - common-law partner's documents

zmetak

May 27, 2015
Hi guys,

hope you can help me out as I failed to find this information anywhere. I am planning to sign up for Express Entry on September with LMIA ready therefore I don't need extra points (I will have above 1000 already).
  • Do need to supply all the required documents (English test, Educational Credential Assessment) for my common-law partner when I'm sponsoring her?
  • Will I need these documents from my common-law partner later for the PR application?

The reason why I'm asking is it might be quite expensive to get the English test ($300) and Educational Credential Assessment ($200 + translated documents $500).

Thank you for your answers!

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zmetak said:
Hi guys,

hope you can help me out as I failed to find this information anywhere. I am planning to sign up for Express Entry on September with LMIA ready therefore I don't need extra points (I will have above 1000 already).
  • Do need to supply all the required documents (English test, Educational Credential Assessment) for my common-law partner when I'm sponsoring her?
  • Will I need these documents from my common-law partner later for the PR application?

The reason why I'm asking is it might be quite expensive to get the English test ($300) and Educational Credential Assessment ($200 + translated documents $500).

Thank you for your answers!
If your common-law partner is part of this PR application, you don't need to do the IELTS or ECA for them. I don't imagine family sponsorship requires these either.

jyotisaini04

Jul 27, 2015
right now i m single n i received ita but if i gets married after i submit my visa application before receiving visa

can i add my spouse in same application?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jyotisaini04 said:
right now i m single n i received ita but if i gets married after i submit my visa application before receiving visa

can i add my spouse in same application?
Yes.

All family members must be examined as part of the e-APR, whether accompanying or non-accompanying. Family members can be added to the application at any time during the process, including after the visa is issued but prior to obtaining permanent resident status. Applicants are instructed to inform CIC immediately if their family composition has changed, i.e., birth of a child, marriage, divorce, etc.

Pursuant to R4(1), the principal applicant may not include a spouse or common-law partner in their application if their relationship was entered into primarily to acquire any status or privilege under the Act or is not genuine. Similarly, in accordance with R4(2), the principal applicant may not include an adopted child if the adoption was entered into primarily to obtain any status or privilege under the Act or it did not create a genuine parent-child relationship.

A11.2 does not apply when an applicant adds a family member to their application after e-APR; however, the family member will have to be assessed and the principal applicant must provide CIC with the Additional Family Information form and pay the applicable fees online.

lonelyheartz

Jul 28, 2015
Hi, sorry to steal the topic..i have a query regarding something similar of this..if i mention my marital status as "married" in my application but also mention not to bring her with me in my primary application....can i still apply for her PR when i get mine?

as i checked if you mention that your spouse will not come with you..it increases your CRS points..please correct me if i am wrong..

Thanks.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lonelyheartz said:
Hi, sorry to steal the topic..i have a query regarding something similar of this..if i mention my marital status as "married" in my application but also mention not to bring her with me in my primary application....can i still apply for her PR when i get mine?

as i checked if you mention that your spouse will not come with you..it increases your CRS points..please correct me if i am wrong..

Thanks.
You'll have to truthfully declare your marital status and then you can choose to list your spouse and dependent children, if any, as non-accompanying. In that case, you will have to apply for them under Family Sponsorship class after you land in Canada. That process may take 12-24 months depending on various factors.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lonelyheartz said:

Thanks.
If you are married, you must say so on your application. Your spouse can then be listed as accompanying or not. But it will not increase your CRS points to say that your spouse is not accompanying you. You will still get points for a married or partnered person, which are lower than for single people. You can increase those points if your spouse speaks English or French well or is well educated by having them take a language test or having their educational credentials evaluated.

vicpht

Nov 14, 2017
If you are married, you must say so on your application. Your spouse can then be listed as accompanying or not. But it will not increase your CRS points to say that your spouse is not accompanying you. You will still get points for a married or partnered person, which are lower than for single people. You can increase those points if your spouse speaks English or French well or is well educated by having them take a language test or having their educational credentials evaluated.
Actually if you have a spouse/common-law partner but listed that he/she is not accompanying you to Canada then you will have CRS points as a single applicant.