+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry Applicants from Trinidad & Tobago or with Port of Spain VO

Lizzzzzy

Mar 9, 2018
ok, i was wondering, how do i go about transferring funds to canada...there is a forex shortage in our country. Thanks for your speedy responses.

You’re welcome. I’m sure others will also give their input when they come online.

I am not sure @ transfer; however, scotia bank might be an option to explore. I know I was able to use my scotibank atm cars from a Dominican account at a st vincent scotiabank atm successfully without any charges. Thank is probably something to ask about; I.e. if you can use your scotiabank atm card at a scotiabank atm machine in Canada.

malican

May 24, 2016
Hi All

I just received the CoPR and have just collected the passport from DHL (i opted to collect from DHL, as i thought this will be faster).

I'm summarizing my timeline below;
ITA -May 31
AOR - Aug 10
PPR - Feb 19
Sent PP - Feb 21
Received PP at POS - Feb 26
MyCIC online application status changed to "approved" - Mar 09
Return Tracker activated - March 12
PP Received - March 14
Country of Residence - Cayman Islands

It has been one heck of a ride to get here. But soo worth the wait!

Need to land before Jul 03 2018 (exactly 1 year from my medicals)

I'm hoping to land late April and I have booked my tickets already.
I will complete the landing process and leave Canada after a few days, in hopes of returning towards the end of this year as I would prefer to secure a Job before I move for good. Worst Case Scenario (if I don't secure a Job) I will still move around Nov/Dec to Canada.

All the very best to everyone. :) <3

Thanks a million for everyone who helped in some way to get through the waiting process which was very tough to get through. :D

Cheers & God Bless

I hope this post will shed some light to new applicants and those who are still waiting for PPR. :) Good Luck!

Congratulations!!! And good luck with landing, the weather is looking up now so you should have a good trip (providing you will be in Ontario). Regarding your job search before moving, that is going to be a super tough one (unless you are part of the 1%). You would have better luck moving without a job and searching. That is the reality... yes it is hard, but I prefer to be real with you than you have other expectations. The key is to ensure you have enough settlement funds and to be clear, I mean more than the minimum amount CIC requires. For those who intend to migrate or are looking into - please also use this post as REAL, on the ground advice! Feel free to message if needed.

Reactions: SheFer92

malican

May 24, 2016
Hello. Anyone from Trinidad who landed in canada already can tell me how they went about transferring money given the forex shortage in our country?
Hi Cindy, this has certainly been a challenge. However, I was able to do a letter to my bank explaining my move etc and when the funds became available they called; I had to go within the same day to collect via a bank draft. The process took a few months. I may have been lucky as this approach did not work for some people; the banks refused outright. Failing that use your credit cards in Canada and repay online with TT. I know of a person who came here and withdraws CAD from their credit card but does not mind paying the fee. There really aren't much options, sorry!

malican

May 24, 2016
Did anyone in this forum apply with a common-law spouse? Need some advice regarding proof of common-law relationship.
Hi Essjayja, there is another Jamaican person on the thread by the name of Jamaicangirl88; she may be able to help. Try messaging her; unsure if she is active.

SheFer92

Star Member
Aug 11, 2017
Congratulations!!! And good luck with landing, the weather is looking up now so you should have a good trip (providing you will be in Ontario). Regarding your job search before moving, that is going to be a super tough one (unless you are part of the 1%). You would have better luck moving without a job and searching. That is the reality... yes it is hard, but I prefer to be real with you than you have other expectations. The key is to ensure you have enough settlement funds and to be clear, I mean more than the minimum amount CIC requires. For those who intend to migrate or are looking into - please also use this post as REAL, on the ground advice! Feel free to message if needed.
Thanks for the advise, I know what you mean, this is what I keep hearing from people as well.
Will see how it goes, I will try for a bit and then if it does not work out will move without a job I suppose. :)

SheFer92

Star Member
Aug 11, 2017
Hi Guys,
Can someone explain the process of declaring all the items that you will take with you when you move to Canada.
Where can I find these forms and what do I need to declare?

TIA for any help on this

malican

May 24, 2016
Hi Guys,
Can someone explain the process of declaring all the items that you will take with you when you move to Canada.
Where can I find these forms and what do I need to declare?

TIA for any help on this
Hi! Prepare a list of all electronic items and the qty. And also a list of all funds being accompanied - that is cash, cheques and drafts. Although note drafts are not counted even though over the limit. If your funds are over the limit declare it; no biggie as they expect you to be over the limit. The most they will do is ask to see the funds so have a list prepared either way.

Also, this is important as people do not share - prepare a list of all items unaccompanied; even if you are expecting the items in the next 5 years. They will ask you to fill out a special form and issue you with a receipt.

Note - No food items are allowed into Canada whether cooked or uncooked (very different to the US). You can however carry cheese.

CIC's website has the details but in my view not super detailed.

Reactions: SheFer92

Oneka

Jul 8, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Hi, I just joined this forum today . I'm located in Kgn Jamaica

Joined the pool Feb 12
ITA Feb 22.

Will submit application by mid-April . What stage are you at ?
hey, medical next week..plan to submit soon...how was the medical?

SheFer92

Star Member
Aug 11, 2017
Hi! Prepare a list of all electronic items and the qty. And also a list of all funds being accompanied - that is cash, cheques and drafts. Although note drafts are not counted even though over the limit. If your funds are over the limit declare it; no biggie as they expect you to be over the limit. The most they will do is ask to see the funds so have a list prepared either way.

Also, this is important as people do not share - prepare a list of all items unaccompanied; even if you are expecting the items in the next 5 years. They will ask you to fill out a special form and issue you with a receipt.

Note - No food items are allowed into Canada whether cooked or uncooked (very different to the US). You can however carry cheese.

CIC's website has the details but in my view not super detailed.
Thanks a million Malican!!! :D

I've prepared the accompanying list and goods to follow list (2 copies of each) and a seperate B4A form for the two.

I will be carrying a couple grands and then a reference letter from my bank stating the available monies in CAD. I believe this does not need to be declared if it's below 10k, however the border official is likely to ask how much I am carrying and the proof of funds.

In addition to my passport, CoPR and the above I will be carrying a few important documents (educational certificates and birth certificate). I will also be carrying on soft copy(on my phone, emailed them to myself) the documents i submitted along with my application (this is just for my benefit :) ).

Will keep you guys posted on my landing experience once its done

ESSJAYJA

Mar 9, 2018
Kingston Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-04-2018
AOR Received.
19-04-18
Med's Done....
24-04-18
Passport Req..
27-07-18
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-18
hey, medical next week..plan to submit soon...how was the medical?
I did the medical with Dr Richard Gomes. It was a breeze really, like a typical check up at the doctor. The have lab personnel on-site, so I was able to give the samples same place. They then directed me to Winchester Medical (Apex) to do the chest xray; for which the results will be automatically sent back to the doctors office. Wait time at the office was a little more than expected, but I am use to that with Jamaican doctors.

SheFer92

Star Member
Aug 11, 2017
Hi All

Posting for anyone who is interested in reading my landing experience

I landed around 6.30 pm at the Toronto Pearson Airport, was then directed to kiosk machine to fill out the declaration (no longer on paper, all electronic now), was in the que for about 5 minutes until a Kiosk machine was free. Then in about 2-3 minutes i was done with the kiosk and was then directed to an immigration officer along with my print out from the Kiosk

The lines were not too long so I met an officer in about 1 minute and he asked me what my purpose of visiting canada was and I told him that I was completing the landing process. I was then asked if I am bringing any cash over 10,000 CAD and if i have any goods to follow. I answered no to the fist question and yes to the next question, based on my answers he filled out the printed form from the Kiosk and sent me on the next stop.

The next was an officer just checking the printed out form from the kiosks completed by the immigration officer, I showed mine and was re-directed to a room with about 10 people in que for landing or other similar reasons.

I was in que for about 10-15 minutes there and met my second immigration officer, I told him that I was completing the landing process and was asked to provide my passport, immigration form (kiosk print out) and the CoPR, after which he asked me a few questions;
* have you been convicted of any crimes in Canada or other countries
* have you been denied entry to canada or any other countries
* are you bringing in cash more than 10,000 CADs
* do you have any dependents to follow

And then was asked to signed both copies of the CoPR and asked me to provide the address to which the PR cards needs to be sent to. I was then told that it would take 2 months to receive the Card and welcome to Canada. Was also told to go to the next counter if I would like a SIN number today. this interview took about 7-10 minutes and FYI no proof of funds was requested, however I would recommend that anyone doing the landing to have it on you and you would rather be over prepared than face issues.

I was waiting to hear the words "welcome to Canada" for the longest time and I had no words to explain the feeling I had at this point, all the hard work and all the waiting paid off at last.

I then happily moved on to the next stop and was given a bag with some leaflets and the lady said welcome to canada and if you would like a SIN please see the lady on the opposite side, i went and saw her and she gave me a book and asked me to fill out a tiny form that had a number on it as well. I filled it out and was waiting for my number to be called, I was seated for about 10-15 minutes until my number was called and then the process to receive the SIN took about another 5 minutes and then was asked to go out and collect my bags and that I was done.

I then collected my bags and was heading to the custom officer and showed him my kiosk print out with the GTF(goods to follow) marked by the first immigration officer at which point instead of the usual exit i was asked to go to another room. This is the most time consuming part for me. i was here for about an hour until they saw me. Looked at the lists i prepared and signed it and stamped it and i was directed to the cashier who handed me a printed form and then asked me to see the custom officer again who then directed me out to the exit and there it was. I was done.

took me about 2 hours for the whole process but i was finally done.

I went the next day with my stamped and signed CoPR and SIN to TD bank and opened an account received my card and that was it. I stayed in Toronto for 2 more nights and returned to my resident country.

I will wait for my PR card (will be received by my friend in canada and will be posted to me thereafter) before I make any more travels to Canada.

I will now start my hunt for Jobs.

Thanks for everyone that made the wait for this day a little more easier and thanks a lot for everyone that provided all the information.

Good luck to the rest of you who are waiting to achieve their Canadian dreams. all the best :)

Last edited: