FSW
Visa Office......
TVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-05-2017
AOR Received.
26-05-2017
Thanks! That's a relief. Thank you all for the good information. Congrats again. :D

lusyrams

Sep 29, 2016
Hey Guys

I am new to this thing.

So I am a Jamaican Attorney can I apply under the express entry if so tips needed. which province is best etc etc

candz

Star Member
Feb 4, 2015
luv2read90 said:
Hi candz I chose the standard canadian mail. UTECH still hasn't sent the transcript to them so I guess I will see in a month if everything works out. But I don't see why not.

I'll let you know when I get it, but that might be too long for you. I'm not worried at all though
did u get back your evaluation from wes?

luv2read90

Jul 7, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
TVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-05-2017
AOR Received.
26-05-2017
candz said:
did u get back your evaluation from wes?
Yes I did I got the results via email about 3 weeks after they received the transcript. I also faxed a copy of my degree and they accepted this. (Didn't have to mail it.)

Remeber I had chosen to receive the actual evaluation by standard mail. They posted it on August 29, 2016 and I received on September 7th in my mailbox.

Hope this helps

luv2read90

Jul 7, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
TVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-05-2017
AOR Received.
26-05-2017
lusyrams said:
Hey Guys

I am new to this thing.

So I am a Jamaican Attorney can I apply under the express entry if so tips needed. which province is best etc etc
There are a lot of steps you have to complete but they aren't difficult, just do some research and as far as I can tell a Lawyer is qualified to apply beneath express entry as a fedeal skiled worker. (NOC A)

Do some research an the people on this forum will help you along the way.

AckeenSaltfish

Mar 5, 2016
SHARING MY SASKATCHEWAN EXPERIENCE- SINP

Greetings, been a while since I checked in with this forum but wanted to share with you a bit about my Saskatchewan experience. Arrived on Oct 10 in Toronto, spent a couple days with relatives.
1) At the airport we were processed for PR card and expect to get it in the next 2 months. The immigration officer cancelled the migrant visa in our passport and put a stamp with basically confirms that we landed. He advised us to keep those Confirmation of Permanent Resident papers as they will be needed for a variety of things. He was right, until you get ur PR card, you will using your Jamaican passport and the confirmation of PR papers to get: SIN, your child in school, to drive a car, to open a bank account, to rent a place and apply for health card.

2) Applied for SIN in Toronto at Service Canada (got it same day, it basically a print out) and then flew to Saskatchewan on Oct 12

3) Yorkton, Saskatchewan, is a "right sized town" for raising families, work and school . Some pros: you can get everywhere in 10 -15 mins. There are schools, daycare, hospital, popular food places, shopping centre and a Walmart (which basically, you will spend 90%) of your time at when settling in
4) Applied for health card, took about 2 weeks
5) Opened bank account. Bank draft cheques took about 2 weeks to clear.
6) Joined the newcomers association. Useful info and good for networking for jobs. Had discussions about certain benefits you can get from the Govt, the requirements for a driver's license and there are social activities.
5) Daughter in school , took 1 day. Started grade 5. She loves it. No homework :eek:. they are to do all work at school. 3 play times a day

5) There are jobs as people avoid the smaller tows cos they think "boring life". But in speaking to Jamaicans living here and Canadians, they preferred the smaller towns or other places outside of the usual Toronto/Vancouver cos of the job shortages due to lots of competition. Eg: Bank jobs and admin assistant jobs have unfilled positions for weeks cos no one applied. In Saskatchewan most jobs required a high school diploma and some experience. No degree needed for some of these same jobs in Jamaica that you needed a degree for.

6) You will spend more on clothing than ever before. This winter preparation, layering clothes and proper shoes is serious business. While in Jamaica you made 1 shoes last you for a year, you are changing shoes every few months. Sneakers are no good in winter unless they are winter type sneakers, forget slippers or sandals and invest in a good winter coat, nuff mittens and hats or toque. Trust me at least $400-$500CAN for clothing, especially if you have a family.

Enjoying the experience so far. My OMG moment was meeting someone I knew from high school days. What a amazing surprise! :D

Reactions: TrinaReid

luv2read90

Jul 7, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
TVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-05-2017
AOR Received.
26-05-2017
AckeenSaltfish said:

Greetings, been a while since I checked in with this forum but wanted to share with you a bit about my Saskatchewan experience. Arrived on Oct 10 in Toronto, spent a couple days with relatives.
1) At the airport we were processed for PR card and expect to get it in the next 2 months. The immigration officer cancelled the migrant visa in our passport and put a stamp with basically confirms that we landed. He advised us to keep those Confirmation of Permanent Resident papers as they will be needed for a variety of things. He was right, until you get ur PR card, you will using your Jamaican passport and the confirmation of PR papers to get: SIN, your child in school, to drive a car, to open a bank account, to rent a place and apply for health card.

2) Applied for SIN in Toronto at Service Canada (got it same day, it basically a print out) and then flew to Saskatchewan on Oct 12

3) Yorkton, Saskatchewan, is a "right sized town" for raising families, work and school . Some pros: you can get everywhere in 10 -15 mins. There are schools, daycare, hospital, popular food places, shopping centre and a Walmart (which basically, you will spend 90%) of your time at when settling in
6) Joined the newcomers association. Useful info and good for networking for jobs. Had discussions about certain benefits you can get from the Govt, the requirements for a driver's license and there are social activities.
5) Daughter in school , took 1 day. Started grade 5. She loves it. No homework :eek:. they are to do all work at school. 3 play times a day

5) There are jobs as people avoid the smaller tows cos they think "boring life". But in speaking to Jamaicans living here and Canadians, they preferred the smaller towns or other places outside of the usual Toronto/Vancouver cos of the job shortages due to lots of competition. Eg: Bank jobs and admin assistant jobs have unfilled positions for weeks cos no one applied. In Saskatchewan most jobs required a high school diploma and some experience. No degree needed for some of these same jobs in Jamaica that you needed a degree for.

6) You will spend more on clothing than ever before. This winter preparation, layering clothes and proper shoes is serious business. While in Jamaica you made 1 shoes last you for a year, you are changing shoes every few months. Sneakers are no good in winter unless they are winter type sneakers, forget slippers or sandals and invest in a good winter coat, nuff mittens and hats or toque. Trust me at least $400-$500CAN for clothing, especially if you have a family.

Enjoying the experience so far. My OMG moment was meeting someone I knew from high school days. What a amazing surprise! :D
Thanks so much for sharing your landing experience. You sound so happy and it a rub off on me lol. Great to see another Jamaican dream fulfilled. Soon come join you...

Tishfaith

Sep 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Nov 4
AckeenSaltfish said:

I enjoyed reading your post.

Congrats and all the best....keep warm

Omarrnikki23

Aug 28, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
kingston
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone it's so good to heat all these great experiences. Last Saturday I finally did my language test and surprisingly it wasn't bad.
One thing though is that I applied to get my credentials assessed from CES. Worst mistake. Utech sent my transcript and it was received however they haven't started assessing it. Upon reading I found out that they take approximately 9weeks and that doesn't include their holiday break for Christmas. Will be getting my language results on December 1st but I have to sit and wait till about late January-February to actually apply.
Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

andre3000

Feb 18, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-02-2016
Med's Done....
18-02-2016
Passport Req..
23-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
02-09-2016
LANDED..........
28-12-2016
AckeenSaltfish said:

Congrats and thanks for sharing your experience. Thanks also for the winter tips ;D.

YamPower

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
14-04-2015
Passport Req..
09-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2015
LANDED..........
13-11-2015
AckeenSaltfish said:
Great overview. I think the CAD $400 to 500 is very small budget for an entire family (assuming two adults and two children) though because for each person you need

1. a good winter coat
2. toque (tam/hat)
3. scarf
4. undershirts
5. fleece lined leggings
6. waterproof boots
7. mittens (they're warmer than gloves)

For people with children you can check Value Village for kids' winter gear. They sell second hand things but many of the items are in good condition.

I'd suggest that if you buy second hand winter stuff you throw them into the dryer on medium or high for 5 minutes to kill anything and then wash them according to the tag. My friend saved quite a bit buying stuff there rather than new. I saw a real (used) fur coat there for maybe 5-10% of the original cost but didn't buy it because of the color and size.

PurpleTuzi

Star Member
May 26, 2016
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-11-2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
11-17-2016
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
10-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
19-01-2017
LANDED..........
10-03-2017
Hi Everyone!

I'm Olivia. I just submitted my application a few weeks ago and received AOR. Glad to connect you. All the best on your applications!

Tishfaith

Sep 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Nov 4
PurpleTuzi said:
Hi Everyone!

I'm Olivia. I just submitted my application a few weeks ago and received AOR. Glad to connect you. All the best on your applications!
All the best Olivia

luv2read90

Jul 7, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
TVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26-05-2017
AOR Received.
26-05-2017
candz said:
Hi guys,

Have anyone applied for PNP?
I haven't because I am in Jamaica and I don't see where I qualify beneath any scheme except Prince Edward Island (no outlandish requirements to apply) and Ontario (where they actually send you an invitation). Every other scheme requires work experience in Canada in your NOC, and that experience has to be from that specific province. Are you aware of any province that doesn't have this requirement?

I researched Prince Edward Island, but it seems to be a small province very far from the city where cost of living is low but so are wages. If I don't receive a PT Notification of Interest from Ontario to invite me to apply for their Human Capital Stream (I have over 400 points, so I should qualify) I am going to try Prince Edward.

Have you applied for PNP?