+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting US car AFTER already Importing in Canada

vinayreddy

Star Member
Nov 10, 2019
Hello, were you able to figure out anything? I am in the same boat as you and would like to know the process you've followed?
Hi,

how did it go for you with export to USA.Can you please help understanding the process. below is my situation.

1) Bought vehicle in USA in 2013
2) Exported vehicle to Canada in 2017 , followed formal export process at boarder.
3) Now we are moving back to states and want to export the vehicle to USA.

Just want to know the process for #3 exporting vehicle to USA.

Thanks,
Vinay

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hi,

how did it go for you with export to USA.Can you please help understanding the process. below is my situation.

1) Bought vehicle in USA in 2013
2) Exported vehicle to Canada in 2017 , followed formal export process at boarder.
3) Now we are moving back to states and want to export the vehicle to USA.

Just want to know the process for #3 exporting vehicle to USA.

Thanks,
Vinay
Interesting what others who actually did that would say, but all I found is :

"A vehicle taken from the United States for non-commercial, private use may be returned duty free by proving to CBP that it was previously owned and registered in the United States. "
https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

vinayreddy

Star Member
Nov 10, 2019
This is what i have done. Imported car to Canada in 2017.
Came back to US in 2020 May. Did not complete any formalities for importing car back to US at port of entry.

1) Got state ID in the state where i am living.
2) Got the manufacturer letter from HONDA by calling HONDA customer service
2) Went to Customs and Border protection office close to airport, they have verified documents and provided import form. did not pay any tax.
3) Went DMV theft and inspection department and got the clearance form.
4) DMV then did the title and registration.

Note : if you have time complete importing formailites at border so that you can avoid few of the above steps.

Hope this helps. Kindly no further questions on this please. Process might change from state to state and DMV to DMV. Above is just my experience and not a advice to anyone.

iron9er

Jan 5, 2019
Thanks, I'll try to figure this out in the next days.
Nazgul did you (or anoyne else) figure this out? I did not expect cbsa to force me to import my old us vehicles though they did. Haven't exported them yet fron the us side. Can i go back and do that now or later to avoid any problems? Thanks!

fmohammed1022

Feb 11, 2018
Toronto, ON
Category........
Other
Problem is solved talked to immigration and they told me im fine.
My case is similar to yours. Did not export my car from US, entered Canada and did not import it in Canada. Due to my PR residency obligations, I can't travel out of Canada. Spoke with CBSA agent over Customer care line and she told me that I can complete the import process at an inland CBSA facility in Ontario but for properly exporting the car out of US, I may need to speak with IRCC and understand if I can re-enter Canada without any repercussions. So far, I have only managed to obtain a temporary license in Ontario, haven't registered my car yet. Although, I do not intend to take my car back to the US even if I were to move back in the future. Please advise.

mayple

Star Member
Dec 30, 2017
My case is similar to yours. Did not export my car from US, entered Canada and did not import it in Canada. Due to my PR residency obligations, I can't travel out of Canada. Spoke with CBSA agent over Customer care line and she told me that I can complete the import process at an inland CBSA facility in Ontario but for properly exporting the car out of US, I may need to speak with IRCC and understand if I can re-enter Canada without any repercussions. So far, I have only managed to obtain a temporary license in Ontario, haven't registered my car yet. Although, I do not intend to take my car back to the US even if I were to move back in the future. Please advise.
What do you mean? : Due to my PR residency obligations, I can't travel out of Canada.

You can always travel out of Canada to any country that you are legally allowed to enter. Canadian PR does not stop you from traveling

Reactions: fmohammed1022

fmohammed1022

Feb 11, 2018
Toronto, ON
Category........
Other
What do you mean? : Due to my PR residency obligations, I can't travel out of Canada.

You can always travel out of Canada to any country that you are legally allowed to enter. Canadian PR does not stop you from traveling
Thanks for your reply! Let me elaborate. I completed my landing procedure on 6-Nov-2018, stayed for 3 days and went back to the States after. I then reentered Canada on 27-Nov-2018. Although my Canada PR expires on 19-Dec-2013, I was told by the border office that I was since it's been more than 3 years since my original date of landing, the only way I can retain my PR status is by not leaving Canada until I accumulate enough days to be eligible to renew my PR.

Also a quick update on my vehicle registration. I was able to complete the import process successfully at an inland CBSA facility provided I don't plan on taking it back to the US since it'd be another headache to deal with. I then registered my car with all the supporting documents.