Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Thank you again for the quick response and I appreciate your time here.

Well, the car is already in Canada and needs to be imported. So, by 'export at a later time' I mean to is that if I can finish the import now and export at a time when all this border situation gets back to normal. Any idea if that is a possibility?
If you can do somehow import - just let me know. My another ( Titled to my spouse - PR) vehicle is still Michigan plated/insured and I drive her occasionally to work in MI (before all this virus story). But I am a different story, since I am dual citizen with US DL.

If you can import and register/plate the car - you do not need export.

As a side note, despite the border situation, I drove today to MI and back to Windsor to see my doctor and pick up medication using our Canadian plated car. No problem with US customs, and what a surprise - the Canadian officer did not even open her window to ask a question, just waved in, maybe I looked like essential worker with my Nexus card?

Reactions: SRT24

SRT24

Apr 17, 2020
That is great to know. So, if I import and
If you can do somehow import - just let me know. My another ( Titled to my spouse - PR) vehicle is still Michigan plated/insured and I drive her occasionally to work in MI (before all this virus story). But I am a different story, since I am dual citizen with US DL.

If you can import and register/plate the car - you do not need export.

As a side note, despite the border situation, I drove today to MI and back to Windsor to see my doctor and pick up medication using our Canadian plated car. No problem with US customs, and what a surprise - the Canadian officer did not even open her window to ask a question, just waved in, maybe I looked like essential worker with my Nexus card?
That's great to know, looks like you are an essential worker now :)

Sure, so are you saying if I import - there is no need of exporting it even if I'd like to travel for a vacation to USA?

Sure, I'll keep you posted and how that works. In case I am able to import and register it I am good. Is there any time frame within which I should get my plating done and will 'Progressive' insurance and US license be sufficient to proceed to Service Ontario?

MoizArif

Apr 2, 2020
I am exactly in the same boat. I am a full-time international student in the US and wanted to enter into Canada before my CoPR expired. Here is what happened:
  1. I entered Canada from the US in the first week of April 2020 in my own car (registered and titled on my name in NY). I had absolutely no idea about this import/export thing.
  2. I was told by CBSA that this car has to be imported into Canada since you are a new PR. I asked CBSA if there is any documentation required from the US, he said I only need title & registration. (Keep in mind I DID NOT export the car from the US yet).
  3. CBSA staff gave me no option and imported the car duty-free and gave me form 1 and RIV instructions and gave me back the title and registration.
  4. I paid the RIV fee, got the inspection cleared, and got the certificate in the mail.
  5. I have not yet gone to Service Ontario to register my car. I still have my NY state license with me.
I have heard and read so many conflicting information as to what happens next and what if the car is driven back to the US (with no export). There are a couple of things I wish to share and ask other people to clarify.
  1. If I drive to the US today (without registering the car in Ontario), will CBP stop me at the border? Will CBP know that this car has been imported into Canada? Will they impound or impose a fine or penalty for not exporting the car? Will my NY state title (not yet stamped as exported) be valid in the US?
  2. If I try to get the car registered in Ontario (without having the export stamp by CBP on my title), will service Ontario raise an objection about a missing EXPORT stamp on the title? If the registration is successful and they stamp the title as "Registered in Ontario" (or similar) will be I be able to drive back to the US and initiate the export process so that I can have the export stamped on the title?
  3. I have to drive to the US and Canada every now and then so I need to have a proper solution to this situation and not having to worry about this every time I cross the US border.
People in the same boat as me, please share if you made any progress with this. And experienced members can comment/answer the other questions. It will surely benefit a lot of people since this is happening quite often with new PRs.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I am exactly in the same boat. I am a full-time international student in the US and wanted to enter into Canada before my CoPR expired. Here is what happened:
  1. I entered Canada from the US in the first week of April 2020 in my own car (registered and titled on my name in NY). I had absolutely no idea about this import/export thing.
  2. I was told by CBSA that this car has to be imported into Canada since you are a new PR. I asked CBSA if there is any documentation required from the US, he said I only need title & registration. (Keep in mind I DID NOT export the car from the US yet).
  3. CBSA staff gave me no option and imported the car duty-free and gave me form 1 and RIV instructions and gave me back the title and registration.
  4. I paid the RIV fee, got the inspection cleared, and got the certificate in the mail.
  5. I have not yet gone to Service Ontario to register my car. I still have my NY state license with me.
I have heard and read so many conflicting information as to what happens next and what if the car is driven back to the US (with no export). There are a couple of things I wish to share and ask other people to clarify.
  1. If I drive to the US today (without registering the car in Ontario), will CBP stop me at the border? Will CBP know that this car has been imported into Canada? Will they impound or impose a fine or penalty for not exporting the car? Will my NY state title (not yet stamped as exported) be valid in the US?
  2. If I try to get the car registered in Ontario (without having the export stamp by CBP on my title), will service Ontario raise an objection about a missing EXPORT stamp on the title? If the registration is successful and they stamp the title as "Registered in Ontario" (or similar) will be I be able to drive back to the US and initiate the export process so that I can have the export stamped on the title?
  3. I have to drive to the US and Canada every now and then so I need to have a proper solution to this situation and not having to worry about this every time I cross the US border.
People in the same boat as me, please share if you made any progress with this. And experienced members can comment/answer the other questions. It will surely benefit a lot of people since this is happening quite often with new PRs.
Many questions and this is just my opinion.
1. The CBP do not know anything about import. Your Title is valid. Even more, when I asked Canadian Mercedes dealer to do a recall, he told me, no way, import or not import - the vehicle is still US vehicle and only Mercedes USA can do that work. Also there is process (free) to re-import the car back to US and restore the Title ( taken by Canadians).
2. In my case the ServiceCanada looked at the stamp and they took the Title ( they took the Title) and gave me an Ontario "green" registration card with notice on it that I cannot sell the car in Canada until after 12 months.
3. During the border crossing both Customs are interested only in one question - who you are, US person or Canadian person. When I drive Canadian plated car I tell US Customs that I am US citizen living in Canada and going to work to US, on the way back I am telling Canadians that I visited US / worked there and coming back home. When I drive our second car, still US plated/insured (I postpone export/import until after the virus) I tell US Customs I was in my "vacation" home in Canada and going back to work and/or to my home in US ( I am dual citizen), on the way back I am telling Canadians that I go to my "vacation" home for some time.

But in general if you live in Canada you need to drive ( easier) Canadian plated.car

Last edited:

Usa2canada<3

Star Member
Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-08-2020
AOR Received.
11-25-2020

Well, the car is already in Canada and needs to be imported. So, by 'export at a later time' I mean to is that if I can finish the import now and export at a time when all this border situation gets back to normal. Any idea if that is a possibility?
I am kinda of in the same boat you are in right now with my car situation my registration is expiring soon and my insurance is expiring soon. We had planned to have the car registered in Canada did not realize that i needed to do an export or an import of the car and i am just currently trying to rectify that situation but within in the problems of not having permanent status in Canada and among st all of the covid 19 problems i am not sure what to do did you figure anything out?

Usa2canada<3

Star Member
Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-08-2020
AOR Received.
11-25-2020

Did you find anything out i have tried reaching out to cbp however i was just yelled at. Cbsa said i shouldnt have a problem insuring the car in ontario with an appropraite import form. Is this wrong

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Did you find anything out i have tried reaching out to cbp however i was just yelled at. Cbsa said i shouldnt have a problem insuring the car in ontario with an appropraite import form. Is this wrong

Insuring the car , and registering the car in the province are two TOTALLY different things

Usa2canada<3

Star Member
Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-08-2020
AOR Received.
11-25-2020

Insuring the car , and registering the car in the province are two TOTALLY different things
Just talked with cbsa again im going totry and temporaly import the car with exporting the car from us because it is only a temp import we will see how this goes fingers crossed.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Just talked with cbsa again im going totry and temporaly import the car with exporting the car from us because it is only a temp import we will see how this goes fingers crossed.
Which border crossing are you going to use? Please keep us updated whether US "export" office is open, whether CBSA will allow you to enter Canada and whether their "import " office is open.

Usa2canada<3

Star Member
Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-08-2020
AOR Received.
11-25-2020
Which border crossing are you going to use? Please keep us updated whether US "export" office is open, whether CBSA will allow you to enter Canada and whether their "import " office is open.
I am already currently in Canada and the cbsa information office said i could go to london and try with the documentation i have the only problem i might run into is not having the physical title because my state doesn't automatically issue them but i cant get one due to covid right now so crossing my fingers. I am going to state my inland application soon. I was given this address to process an inland import. I was told because of covid they might allow me to import it that way because i still have a document with title number my name on it and Florida state seal.
1750 Crumlin Road
London, ON N5V 3B6
if this helps anyone in Ontario.

Last edited:

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I am already currently in Canada and the cbsa information office said i could go to london and try with the documentation i have the only problem i might run into is not having the physical title because my state doesn't automatically issue them but i cant get one due to covid right now so crossing my fingers. I am going to state my inland application soon. I was given this address to process an inland import. I was told because of covid they might allow me to import it that way because i still have a document with title number my name on it and Florida state seal.
1750 Crumlin Road
London, ON N5V 3B6
if this helps anyone in Ontario.
Yes, that address lists CBSA Inland Office (A CBSA office classified as a non-direct point of entry providing a full range of CBSA services to the general public ). Are you going to follow https://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx procedure? I mean all steps, excluding export?

Usa2canada<3

Star Member
Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-08-2020
AOR Received.
11-25-2020
Yes, that address lists CBSA Inland Office (A CBSA office classified as a non-direct point of entry providing a full range of CBSA services to the general public ). Are you going to follow https://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx procedure? I mean all steps, excluding export?
As of right now due to covid because of my status i cant leave canada to export. However as soon as i properly can or my wife can we will. Im only asking for a temp import which would expire if i was denied extension or pr. From what i have read online the temp import is exempt from export however do not take my word for it. 2 cbsa info officers have told me that the only problem i may have will be through the us however i can only ask for a temp import right now. Due to my situation i need to get proper plates and insurance. And being the age that i am coming off my parents plan this is the best thing i can think to do. Right now with covid i was just told by both officers that i f i leave canada i will get denied entry. I do not want to leave my wife if at all possible.

I guess to better answer your question without a rambling on. I am going to need to pay taxes for the import and eventually pay provinical tax on the vehicle. Once i get the import paper from cbsa i will have to get the vehicle inspected federally. Being that my car is a 2016 used with no accidents i dont see any problem about it passing safety's.

Usa2canada<3

Star Member
Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-08-2020
AOR Received.
11-25-2020
Talked to the cbsa office and im in another pi8ckle situation because of covid they told me to call immigration.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Yes, you have bigger problem than importing vehicle.