+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting US car AFTER already Importing in Canada

Glossysweets

Nov 30, 2018
So, when we originally crossed the border into Canada to return back to live here, we had just paid of the lien on it. Coming from Florida they only have electronic titles and apparently will not give the title to someone unless the lien is paid off. Due to Volkswagen lending being slow and then losing internet connection right as we crossed the border, we could not import our car at crossing. At this time we were not told we had to export.

We recently went back to the border (as that first trip we were told to return with the title when it arrived to import it), and were told to cross over into the US and come right back so we could import. Again, no mention of export. We went to the US side and they told us we had to export and that we needed to give 72 hours notice (during the week) via email and the car had to be present in the USA that whole time and then it could be exported. So we went back home to Canada and they told us we still had to export but that we could import now.

So, the question is, knowing that we are now imported in Canada, is there any other way to export from the USA instead of going over the border, remaining, waiting 72 hours with our car stuck their, and then crossing again to export? Isn’t there an easier way? The border agent in Canada when we were importing mentioned we could send our proof of import to them but he wasn’t too specific.

Any fingers pointed in the right direction for me would be helpful. Thank you.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
So, when we originally crossed the border into Canada to return back to live here, we had just paid of the lien on it. Coming from Florida they only have electronic titles and apparently will not give the title to someone unless the lien is paid off. Due to Volkswagen lending being slow and then losing internet connection right as we crossed the border, we could not import our car at crossing. At this time we were not told we had to export.

We recently went back to the border (as that first trip we were told to return with the title when it arrived to import it), and were told to cross over into the US and come right back so we could import. Again, no mention of export. We went to the US side and they told us we had to export and that we needed to give 72 hours notice (during the week) via email and the car had to be present in the USA that whole time and then it could be exported. So we went back home to Canada and they told us we still had to export but that we could import now.

So, the question is, knowing that we are now imported in Canada, is there any other way to export from the USA instead of going over the border, remaining, waiting 72 hours with our car stuck their, and then crossing again to export? Isn’t there an easier way? The border agent in Canada when we were importing mentioned we could send our proof of import to them but he wasn’t too specific.

Any fingers pointed in the right direction for me would be helpful. Thank you.
First of all the vehicle does not need to be in US for 72 hours, just notification is 72 hours in advance. I was using my spouse's car to commute to US daily and one day after 72 hours notice did export at Detroit-Windsor border. The export is just a paperwork with stamp in the vehicle Title. Took 10 minutes. Nobody wanted to take a look at the car itself.

Is your car now Canada plated/registered/insured? If yes, I would forget about US export. What is done is done. Again, that's my personal opinion, others can add whether there are a side effects...

Reactions: SRT24

nazgul86

Jul 31, 2018
I am in the same situation, I crossed and imported my car (fully owned) into Canada without exporting to US first. What should I do? I am planning to relocate back to the states in the future.

Last edited:

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I am in the same situation, I crossed and imported my car (fully owned) into Canada without exporting to US first. What should I do? I am planning to relocate back to the states in the future.
Do you still have your US Title on hand? Probably not, but from US point of view you never exported the vehicle and she is still considered US car, so (my opinion) you could restore "lost" Title (at least there is a process in SOS of Michigan) and re-registere/insure the car in US when time comes.

nazgul86

Jul 31, 2018
Do you still have your US Title on hand? Probably not, but from US point of view you never exported the vehicle and she is still considered US car, so (my opinion) you could restore "lost" Title (at least there is a process in SOS of Michigan) and re-registere/insure the car in US when time comes.
I still have the US title. I have not completed the process in Canada yet though (form2, inspection) so not sure if they'll ask me for it.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I still have the US title. I have not completed the process in Canada yet though (form2, inspection) so not sure if they'll ask me for it.
Well, our Title was stamped by US Customs during Export. The Canadians just looked at the Title making sure the VIN on Title coincide with VIN on Import Goods Form to avoid Duty payment. It's just during car registration at Service Canada (Ontario) they took the Title and issued Canadian green form.

nazgul86

Jul 31, 2018
Well, our Title was stamped by US Customs during Export. The Canadians just looked at the Title making sure the VIN on Title coincide with VIN on Import Goods Form to avoid Duty payment. It's just during car registration at Service Canada (Ontario) they took the Title and issued Canadian green form.
Got it, so do you suggest to do the export to US before going to the Service Canada (Ontario)?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Not sure. I crossed to Canada many times with my US car, but as far as process of vehicle registration in Canada read https://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx.

More than 20 years ago I did opposite - came to US with Canadian car and was able to registered/plated her in Ohio. Drove her several years in States, nobody asked about Export/Import at that time.

Reactions: nazgul86

SRT24

Apr 17, 2020
First of all the vehicle does not need to be in US for 72 hours, just notification is 72 hours in advance. I was using my spouse's car to commute to US daily and one day after 72 hours notice did export at Detroit-Windsor border. The export is just a paperwork with stamp in the vehicle Title. Took 10 minutes. Nobody wanted to take a look at the car itself.

Is your car now Canada plated/registered/insured? If yes, I would forget about US export. What is done is done. Again, that's my personal opinion, others can add whether there are a side effects...

Hello, Are you mentioning that you exported your car from USA at a later date after you imported it to Canada?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hello, Are you mentioning that you exported your car from USA at a later date after you imported it to Canada?
No. I am dual citizen living in Windsor and working in Detroit area. The vehicle's Title was on my spouse's name (PR) and the VIN in the List of Goods to Follow. After she landed and we moved to Windsor I drove this ( US plated/Insured ) vehicle back and forth over the border to work for a while until the vehicle recall was cleared in US and vehicle was ready for export/import process. At that time I got ITN number, sent 72 hours notice and drove myself the car from Canada to US for export and after proper export (Title stamped) proceeded over the bridge to Canada to do proper import. After the import I went trough RIV process (modification, inspection), Safety Inspection, got proof of insurance ( on my spouse name) and went to ServiceOntario to surrender US Title and get the car registered/plated in Ontario (on my spouse ( the owner) name.

So, all was done properly, just a bit later after the landing.

SRT24

Apr 17, 2020
No. I am dual citizen living in Windsor and working in Detroit area. The vehicle's Title was on my spouse's name (PR) and the VIN in the List of Goods to Follow. After she landed and we moved to Windsor I drove this ( US plated/Insured ) vehicle back and forth over the border to work for a while until the vehicle recall was cleared in US and vehicle was ready for export/import process. At that time I got ITN number, sent 72 hours notice and drove myself the car from Canada to US for export and after proper export (Title stamped) proceeded over the bridge to Canada to do proper import. After the import I went trough RIV process (modification, inspection), Safety Inspection, got proof of insurance ( on my spouse name) and went to ServiceOntario to surrender US Title and get the car registered/plated in Ontario (on my spouse ( the owner) name.

So, all was done properly, just a bit later after the landing.
Thank you very much for your quick response. So, I have a couple of follow up qns.
1. Can we still export the car at a later date even after it is imported?
2. The import fees can be paid online after the import is done?
3. I am a PR and currently importing my car(Haven't exported from US yet) and plan on exporting at a later point of time. Is there any exportation document that is needed for the import or registration in Ontario?
4. What should be the next steps after I import my car?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Thank you very much for your quick response. So, I have a couple of follow up qns.
1. Can we still export the car at a later date even after it is imported?
2. The import fees can be paid online after the import is done?
3. I am a PR and currently importing my car(Haven't exported from US yet) and plan on exporting at a later point of time. Is there any exportation document that is needed for the import or registration in Ontario?
4. What should be the next steps after I import my car?
1. I am not sure what you mean by "after it is imported". If the vehicle is imported - you get a proper form from Canadian Customs and proceed to registration of the vehicle in Canada (RIV process, Safety inspection, Insurance --> registration/plate ).
2. I never paid anything, but I think the duty (if any) has to be paid to Canadian Customs during the import procedure.
3. I remember that Canadian Customs just looked at my stamped ( by US customs ) Title, but ServiceCanada definitely wanted to see the export stamp on the Title before they took it. Again, during the import you get a proper form from Canadian Customs, during registration in ServiceCanada you present them this form ( along with other documents).
4. To finish RIV process (RIV inspection and they will send you the sticker as well,) Safety inspection, Insurance --> registration/plate

SRT24

Apr 17, 2020
1. I am not sure what you mean by "after it is imported". If the vehicle is imported - you get a proper form from Canadian Customs and proceed to registration of the vehicle in Canada (RIV process, Safety inspection, Insurance --> registration/plate ).
2. I never paid anything, but I think the duty (if any) has to be paid to Canadian Customs during the import procedure.
3. I remember that Canadian Customs just looked at my stamped ( by US customs ) Title, but ServiceCanada definitely wanted to see the export stamp on the Title before they took it. Again, during the import you get a proper form from Canadian Customs, during registration in ServiceCanada you present them this form ( along with other documents).
4. To finish RIV process (RIV inspection and they will send you the sticker as well,) Safety inspection, Insurance --> registration/plate
Thank you again for the quick response and I appreciate your time here.

Well, the car is already in Canada and needs to be imported. So, by 'export at a later time' I mean to is that if I can finish the import now and export at a time when all this border situation gets back to normal. Any idea if that is a possibility?