+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting/Importing Vehicle - US to Canada ONLY!

EmmEmm

Mar 27, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-04-2015
Passport Req..
25-09-2015
I have a Nissan Maxima, I got my DRLs done at Canadian Tire to avoid being ripped off by a garage. I think it cost me CAD240.
Canadian Tire is the place you never take your car to.

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Canadian Tire is the place you never take your car to.

Is that so? Well in some places, you'll find that they're the only place that's authorized by RIV to do you import inspection, so hopefully that's not the case for you. No complaints here, I was in and out, install and inspection completed with no problems.

EmmEmm

Mar 27, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-04-2015
Passport Req..
25-09-2015
Is that so? Well in some places, you'll find that they're the only place that's authorized by RIV to do you import inspection, so hopefully that's not the case for you. No complaints here, I was in and out, install and inspection completed with no problems.
I dont mind when I am not paying anything. For Inspection, you pay nothing to Canadian Tire. but make sure you get the DRLs before hand. you can easily get it done for 100 bucks from some local trusted mechanics. same thing you paid 250 for. I support local businesses rather than these rip-off big stores.

kirribilliCN

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017
Hey all - I looked but couldn't get a reliable answer anywhere, below is where I am in the process and my question below. Can anyone help?

Facts:
- I crossed border few days ago and did the vehicle Export, Import, Modifications, and RIV inspection at Canada Tire. Next up is registering vehicle with Ontario.
- My vehicle is still U.S plated and I am still covered by my U.S Insurance, I still have my U.S driver's license
- Canada insurance companies won't quote Canada insurnace unless I have Canada Driver's License, also ministry won't register my car unless I have Canada Driver's license + Canada Insurance.

Questions/Concerns?
- I am hesitant to jump the gun and exchange my license, because at the moment I am insured to drive my car in Canada via my U.S insurance company with my U.S license. But the moment I change my U.S license to Canada license wouldn't I loose my U.S coverage?
- How did you all navigate this? Can you help me understand if I should get the Ontario license first (or) there is something else I should do?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hey all - I looked but couldn't get a reliable answer anywhere, below is where I am in the process and my question below. Can anyone help?

Facts:
- I crossed border few days ago and did the vehicle Export, Import, Modifications, and RIV inspection at Canada Tire. Next up is registering vehicle with Ontario.
- My vehicle is still U.S plated and I am still covered by my U.S Insurance, I still have my U.S driver's license
- Canada insurance companies won't quote Canada insurnace unless I have Canada Driver's License, also ministry won't register my car unless I have Canada Driver's license + Canada Insurance.

Questions/Concerns?
- I am hesitant to jump the gun and exchange my license, because at the moment I am insured to drive my car in Canada via my U.S insurance company with my U.S license. But the moment I change my U.S license to Canada license wouldn't I loose my U.S coverage?
- How did you all navigate this? Can you help me understand if I should get the Ontario license first (or) there is something else I should do?
First I would check with your US insurance company whether your current US insurance still valid with Canadian vehicle - the car became Canadian after export/import, right?
If you are still covered than I would check with your US insurance company again what happens with US insurance when you exchange US DL to Canada DL.

Last edited:

kirribilliCN

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017
First I would check with your US insurance company whether your current US insurance still valid with Canadian vehicle - the car became Canadian after export/import, right?
If you are still covered than I would check with your US insurance company again what happens with US insurance when you exchange US DL to Canada DL.
It's not Canadian until it's registered.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014

Facts:

Questions/Concerns?
You won't be able to keep your US insurance.

Step 1: Exchange DL.
Step 2: Call insurance companies, get quotes, finalize a provider and get "Confirmation of Insurance" from them via email indicating start of insurance.
Step 3: Register car in Canada

In order to minimize risk you might want to all 3 steps within 24-48 hours.

kirribilliCN

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017

Step 2: Call insurance companies, get quotes, finalize a provider and get "Confirmation of Insurance" from them via email indicating start of insurance.

Hello - Thank you for your response. Any recommendations regarding Insurance company? I always had AAA auto insurance in the U.S but they didn't come through in giving me a proper Insurance letter of experience in the format CAA Insurance agent wanted. Is kanetix.ca the best place to shop for insurance? any input is appreciated. Thanks!

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Hello - Thank you for your response. Any recommendations regarding Insurance company? I always had AAA auto insurance in the U.S but they didn't come through in giving me a proper Insurance letter of experience in the format CAA Insurance agent wanted. Is kanetix.ca the best place to shop for insurance? any input is appreciated. Thanks!
I received pretty good quotes through kanetix.ca but then decided to go with "The Personal General Insurance Inc" as I had received cheaper quotes for them due to me being an employee of one of their preferred companies.

Reactions: kirribilliCN

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017

We have both cars here in US Titled and Insured on my name - the Sponsor. My spouse is the person who is going to be landed.

So, in our case Step 1 would be to transfer a Title from one car to her name. Just confirmed with my US insurance that if I transfer a Title to her name we are still covered by our US insurance, does not matter who owns the car. Step 2 would be (probably shortly after landing) Export/Import "her" car. At this point the car is still US plated and insured and I am able to drive it cross-border. After that 3 Steps above will follow ( DL, Canadian Insurance and finally Canadian registration).

That's all - her the car becomes Canadian. Since I (the sponsor) keep my US address and continue to be a US resident - my car still US plated and Insured on my name and I will continue to drive it cross-border. The only issue could be if I decide to drive her (Canadian ) car to US, to commute to my US workplace. But that another topic.

Any comments?

Last edited:

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
At this point the car is still US plated and insured and I am able to drive it cross-border.
I'm not so sure about this point. So, when we did our soft landing and returning back to the U.S. via Detroit tunnel, the officer asked me if I exported the car and I said not yet, will do a little later in coming weeks. He said he need to check if the car has been exported though he can clearly see it still has U.S. plates. He radio'ed someone and after confirmation that I didn't export, he let us enter the U.S. Not sure what would have happened if I exported the car and tried to bring it back to U.S. without registering in Canada.

So, do more research if you are planning on bringing the car back before registering in Canada.