+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting/Importing Vehicle - US to Canada ONLY!

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
Also, make sure you ask them to put your driving history experience on the Canadian DL.
Thanks EmmEmm, do I need any letter from the DMV in the U.S. for this?

Once your car is imported in Canada, you can take it to inspections however you will need a Form 2 that will come in your email. this is needed by the Canadian Tire for the inspection. Inspection is free. they will ask you for the emissions and safety as well. dont fall in that trap.
Does the safety and inspection depend on the age of the car? My car is made in Canada (most of the Hondas sold in the U.S. are).

If you are in Toronto GTA area I can hook you up with few trusted mechanics I know. they can do any modifications required and do the safety test in almost one-third of the amount.
Are these modifications like Day time running lights, etc? Most of the newer cars should have all safety standards.

Can I register the newly imported car in Canada with my Airbnb address or would I need to show any address/utility proofs?

Thanks a bunch!

EmmEmm

Mar 27, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-04-2015
Passport Req..
25-09-2015
Thanks EmmEmm, do I need any letter from the DMV in the U.S. for this?

Does the safety and inspection depend on the age of the car? My car is made in Canada (most of the Hondas sold in the U.S. are).

Are these modifications like Day time running lights, etc? Most of the newer cars should have all safety standards.

Can I register the newly imported car in Canada with my Airbnb address or would I need to show any address/utility proofs?

Thanks a bunch!
you need a license abstract (NOT a Driving history abstract) from DMV. it should clearly mention "Date first licensed" to get the driving history added on your Canadian DL. Most states charge $20 for it. Drive test people in Canada will take the original from you, make sure you have copies or scanned images for your own usage, in future, if needed.

your inspection should pass if your emissions passed in the US in 2017. For safety, Cdn Tire will charge 250 bucks may be. Call TJF Auto at 3211 Wolfedale Rd #1, Mississauga, ON L5C 1V8. get a quote.

you will need DRL if your car does not have it. Nissan will charge $550. Check my PM to get it done for $100.

you can register your car with any address. RIV will mail the Canadian Certificate sticker. thats it.

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
you need a license abstract (NOT a Driving history abstract) from DMV. it should clearly mention "Date first licensed" to get the driving history added on your Canadian DL. Most states charge $20 for it. Drive test people in Canada will take the original from you, make sure you have copies or scanned images for your own usage, in future, if needed.

your inspection should pass if your emissions passed in the US in 2017. For safety, Cdn Tire will charge 250 bucks may be. Call TJF Auto at 3211 Wolfedale Rd #1, Mississauga, ON L5C 1V8. get a quote.

you will need DRL if your car does not have it. Nissan will charge $550. Check my PM to get it done for $100.

you can register your car with any address. RIV will mail the Canadian Certificate sticker. thats it.
Thank you. So, after the import do I need proof of address anywhere for registering the car? Like at Service Ontario? I'm buying a UPS mailbox, so can I just use that address or does it have to be more formal like utility bill, etc?

smarties66

Feb 5, 2018
your title needs to have a stamp from CBP (USA) otherwise the CBSA (Canada) will ask you to get it properly exported from the States. Also, it is a big risk crossing the US border again as your vehicle can be seized (because it NEVER got exported from the US as per CBP records)
Thanks for the info. It's a risk I'll have to take since I don't have the title yet... And I have a contact who could have my car inspected without the import papers...

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Thanks for the info. It's a risk I'll have to take since I don't have the title yet... And I have a contact who could have my car inspected without the import papers...
You cannot import car to Canada without title papers. Also Canadian equivalent of DMV would ask for US Car title before registering Car in Canada.

EmmEmm

Mar 27, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-04-2015
Passport Req..
25-09-2015
You cannot import car to Canada without title papers. Also Canadian equivalent of DMV would ask for US Car title before registering Car in Canada.
APPNOV2014NY is right, you wont be able to register the car. there are many ways you can go around the law but only one way to go through it, which is the right and legal way.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

Slm1003

Star Member
Oct 31, 2017
A few scenario questions, if anyone knows...

Can I export the car a day or so before importing?

Can I do my landing, then go back to US customs to export then go back to Canada customs to import?

Can I do the export/import process a bit after landing (like within a week) and if so, what taxes would have to be paid beyond what I would have paid had the import been done at time of landing?

Thanks!

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017

Can I do my landing, then go back to US customs to export then go back to Canada customs to import?

Can I do the export/import process a bit after landing (like within a week) and if so, what taxes would have to be paid beyond what I would have paid had the import been done at time of landing?

Thanks!
See my link above...

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014

Thanks!
Let's start differently. Why do you want to split export and import process? Most people show up at US side to get Title stamped and then go to Canadian side to get car imported.

CBSA won't allow PR holders to drive US plated Car in Canada. Only Visitors can. But if you tell them that you are returning to US after finishing landing formalities then they will let you in Canada without exporting/importing private car. After finishing landing formalities at CBSA office you can take judgement call if you want to stick to your words and return to USA or break trust of nice Canadian CBSA agents and drive car further inside Canada.

Slm1003

Star Member
Oct 31, 2017
Let's start differently. Why do you want to split export and import process? Most people show up at US side to get Title stamped and then go to Canadian side to get car imported.

CBSA won't allow PR holders to drive US plated Car in Canada. Only Visitors can. But if you tell them that you are returning to US after finishing landing formalities then they will let you in Canada without exporting/importing private car. After finishing landing formalities at CBSA office you can take judgement call if you want to stick to your words and return to USA or break trust of nice Canadian CBSA agents and drive car further inside Canada.
I want to split it because of my spouse’s current status in the US. I would rather have our PR signed and have been in Canada and, if they check passports on US customs during export, have him be rejected entry than get checked before Canada landing and be arrested.

I would stick to my word to return to the US border to export then back to CBSA to import. It’s not me trying to circumvent Canadian requirements or laws, just trying to keep my spouse safe. So if I can do landing formalities and then turn around immediately so I can do export/import, that would honestly be most ideal for me.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
I want to split it because of my spouse’s current status in the US. I would rather have our PR signed and have been in Canada and, if they check passports on US customs during export, have him be rejected entry than get checked before Canada landing and be arrested.

I would stick to my word to return to the US border to export then back to CBSA to import. It’s not me trying to circumvent Canadian requirements or laws, just trying to keep my spouse safe. So if I can do landing formalities and then turn around immediately so I can do export/import, that would honestly be most ideal for me.
I took my car to Canada for soft landing without exporting from US. I showed up at CBSA checkpost@Lacolle and told CBSA agent that I have not exported car from USA since I am turning around and returning to USA after finishing landing formalities at CBSA office and CBSA agent allowed my Car in Canada without export from USA. I repeated same thing inside CBSA office and then U-turned to USA after finishing landing formalities. You can do same and return to USA to finish Car export/import process. Only caveat would be that if you are carrying too many things in your Car then it would be difficult for you to convince CBSA agent that you would turn around and return. In my case, my Car backseat and trunk was empty.

Slm1003

Star Member
Oct 31, 2017
I took my car to Canada for soft landing without exporting from US. I showed up at CBSA checkpost@Lacolle and told CBSA agent that I have not exported car from USA since I am turning around and returning to USA after finishing landing formalities at CBSA office and CBSA agent allowed my Car in Canada without export from USA. I repeated same thing inside CBSA office and then U-turned to USA after finishing landing formalities. You can do same and return to USA to finish Car export/import process. Only caveat would be that if you are carrying too many things in your Car then it would be difficult for you to convince CBSA agent that you would turn around and return. In my case, my Car backseat and trunk was empty.
We’re only going to have the bare minimum with us, so that’s good! Thanks for the input. :) Looks like we’ll be able to export/import day of after doing landing formalities. That makes me feel better!