+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting/Importing Vehicle - US to Canada ONLY!

dora115

Star Member
Jul 7, 2017
I have a Nissan versa sedan which doesn't have remote key entry, it's all manual. When I checked riv website for Nissan it states EIS (Electronic immobilizer system) and DRL may be needed. It appears since I have only manual key entry I might have to go for an aftermarket EIS, can anyone share their experience if it's possible to install aftermarket EIS and estimated cost.

aha_neo

Jan 9, 2018
Could you please share the name of the shipping company? Also how much did they charge you?
I used USCanadaAuto Transport, cost me like US $1250
It was pretty straight forward, I gave them the details of my car and title, they shipped it to a warehouse in Dixie Missisauga where I did the customs paperwork and had the vehicle release.

Reactions: technokedar

aha_neo

Jan 9, 2018
Thanks, could you please share the process that your followed? Does the transport company takes care of all documentation and you just need to show the car as items to follow on landing? What do you need to get the car from them in Canada?

I am asking as so far on the forum all the export has been done by people driving their cars. So would be good to know the process involving a transport company.

Thanks in advance :)
Here's the steps of what I did.

1) While doing the landing I submitted the Car details in the Goods to Follow list
2) Contacted USCanadaAutoTransport and a few other shippers to get quote
3) Submitted my shipping payment and the paperwork to the shipping company including a copy of the goods to follow list and title copy,
4) Shipping company showed up at my location in Texas, the original documents including title was given to the driver.
5) Received notification that car has arrived at Dixie Mississauga warehouse, reached there, did the custom paper work and paid fees
6) Submitted the Form 1 details to RIV website
7) RIV sent via email a vehicle modification list and inspection form
8) My car did not require any modifications, took it to Canadian tire and got inspection done.
9) Received a Canadian certificate to be affixed to car
10) Took all this paperwork including the insurance proof to register the car in ontario

Cai21

Star Member
Jul 14, 2017
Why do you need an EIN? Can't you use your SS# for tax purposes?

INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone!
I and many like myself, have a hard time trying to Export/Import vehicles from the US into Canada without the use of a broker. I have researched and read many forums about this subject to only find tid-bits of information spread out. My hope in posting my experiences exporting/importing my own vehicle will help those with any frustrations and confusions they may have with their vehicles.

But first the following...

DISCLAIMER: These are my experiences, so therefore meaning I am NOT a professional exporter, professional legal advisor, nor have I ever done this before. Everyone has a different vehicle and situation. What I hope to accomplish here is to help those in need of assistance to, well, Export/Import their Vehicles. Be free to add to or suggest changes to what I share so others can benefit from this. Thanks and good luck to you all.

References and Research:

Importing a Vehicle into Canada videos:
The below videos are dated 2007, but majority of the information is valid when deciding if importing your vehicle is worth the effort.

Importing a Vehicle into Canada - Driving TV Episode 1 of 3
Importing a Vehicle into Canada - Driving TV Episode 2 of 3
Importing a Vehicle into Canada - Driving TV Episode 3 of 3

Websites to visit concerning Exporting and Importing vehicles:
The below websites will provide you information needed to make sure your Export/Import of your vehicle goes smoothly, IF you choose to do this yourself.

Registrar of Imported Vehicles
"The Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) was created by Transport Canada to administer the RIV program. This web site provides access to information regarding the permanent importation of vehicles originally manufactured for distribution in the U.S. market into Canada."

US Customs and Border Protection: Exporting Motor Vehicle
Exporting Vehicles to Canada
(NOTE: Please be aware that AES registration is done through ACE now. More to come about that later.)
Exporting Used Vehicles
(NOTE: If you have questions about what ACE is and other things related to Exporting Vehicles, this document answers most of those questions.)
Online Application for EIN (Employer Identification Number)
This is the page to apply for an EIN Number. Please note the eligibility to apply for an EIN. Once you have an EIN you will need to go to the ACE
and Automated Systems to Apply for Exporter Account, link below.
ACE and Automated Systems
This page is where you start your exporting process. You will first need to register and obtain your EIN (Employer Identification Number) before
filing export information on your vehicle, link above.

smarties66

Feb 5, 2018
Is it really mandatory to export the car? Can't I just drive my car to the Canadian border and import it?

Someone told me the following: ''The only reason to properly export from the US is in case you intend to re-import it to the US. Otherwise it really doesn't matter. We did it but honestly if you didn't and never returned the car to the US they would never know and it wouldn't make any difference.''

smarties66

Feb 5, 2018
From whatever i have read on this forum and Canada immigration site you can not import unless its exported from USA. The only way you can do that is if you are temporarily importing which will only happen if you are on work permit or Student visa.

Also unless the car is imported you can not sell the car in Canada. Similarly on temporary import one can not sell the car.
My understanding is that the import agents on the Canadian side don't require any documents from the export and couldn't care less about the US export part. If you intend to return to the US and use your car, I would think it would be an issue; might be wrong...

smarties66

Feb 5, 2018
I don't think that's correct, they will check what kind of status you have, PR vs WP vs Student visa. Based on what you provide they will check the applicable rules.
Not sure checking your immigration status has anything to do with what I was suggesting... Which is that it doesn't seem like the car exporting process is linked to the importing process; they sound like 2 separate entities.

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Not sure checking your immigration status has anything to do with what I was suggesting... Which is that it doesn't seem like the car exporting process is linked to the importing process; they sound like 2 separate entities.

Not sure exactly what problems, if any, you might encounter by not exporting your car first, but in my case I was asked multiple times by Canadian officials if I had exported the car first, and then there was a number on the paperwork (I believe, could be wrong) that was used during the import process. All in all, it was pretty easy, and since the Canadian officials made a big deal about exporting it first, I decided to avoid any problems and follow their direction.

greencard14

Star Member
Jan 31, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
Hi, after importing a car into Canada, how long will it take to register and get the Canadian plates so I can buy Canadian insurance and drive back to U.S. for a week or so?
Also, I understand we need an address for registering a vehicle in Canada, so what is the best way? Should/can I use the Airbnb address? Or, can I provide a UPS lockbox address?

Appreciate your help!

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
My understanding is that the import agents on the Canadian side don't require any documents from the export and couldn't care less about the US export part. If you intend to return to the US and use your car, I would think it would be an issue; might be wrong...
CBSA agents did ask me if I had exported my car from USA or not. Once a Car is exported from USA some sort of stamping is done on Car's Title to reflect the same.

Reactions: technokedar

EmmEmm

Mar 27, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-04-2015
Passport Req..
25-09-2015
your title needs to have a stamp from CBP (USA) otherwise the CBSA (Canada) will ask you to get it properly exported from the States. Also, it is a big risk crossing the US border again as your vehicle can be seized (because it NEVER got exported from the US as per CBP records)

EmmEmm

Mar 27, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
28-04-2015
Passport Req..
25-09-2015
Hi, after importing a car into Canada, how long will it take to register and get the Canadian plates so I can buy Canadian insurance and drive back to U.S. for a week or so?
Also, I understand we need an address for registering a vehicle in Canada, so what is the best way? Should/can I use the Airbnb address? Or, can I provide a UPS lockbox address?

Appreciate your help!
If you are going to stay in Canada which it seems like since you are importing the car, then get your Driving license exchanged first and then get the insurance. Getting insurance with the Canadian license is cheaper. Also, make sure you ask them to put your driving history experience on the Canadian DL.

You need an address for the Vehicle certification sticker to come thru the mail. it usually comes in a week so AirBnB address is fine.

Once your car is imported in Canada, you can take it to inspections however you will need a Form 2 that will come in your email. this is needed by the Canadian Tire for the inspection. Inspection is free. they will ask you for the emissions and safety as well. dont fall in that trap.

If you are in Toronto GTA area I can hook you up with few trusted mechanics I know. they can do any modifications required and do the safety test in almost one-third of the amount.

Once your inspection is cleared and you get the safety form, go to Service Ontario and get your ownership document (title) and the plates.

Last edited:

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
If you are in Toronto GTA area I can hook you up with few trusted mechanics I know. they can do any modifications required and do the safety test in almost one-third of the amount.
I will be moving to GTA with my car. Can you please post list of mechanics here or PM me. Thanks !!