+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting/Importing Vehicle - US to Canada ONLY!

Hari412

Star Member
Sep 20, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2014
AOR Received.
27-01-2015
IELTS Request
submitted
File Transfer...
12-02-2015
Med's Request
20-03-2015
Med's Done....
1-4-2015, Third Line 11-4-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
12-06-2015
LANDED..........
17-07-2015
CDNPR2014 said:
if your residency is in canada, you will not be able to drive a us plated car in canada long term. first of all, it is assumed when a person imports a car to canada, it will be then plated in canada. second of all, if your US insurance company finds out you are no longer living in the us and the car is in canada more than 6 mo, they WILL drop you.

yes, you'll be able to drive a canadian plated car to the us for work. there are many people who do this daily. the plates should be from where the car owner is a resident. if the person is a resident of the us, the plates should be plated in the us. if the person is a resident of canada, they should be plated in canada. it is not possible to be a resident of 2 countries at the same time. it's really not that complicated.

Thanks CDNPR2014! I am only concerned because it will take a few days before I can get the Canadian plates, which means I cannot drive my car till then...

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Hari412 said:
Thanks CDNPR2014! I am only concerned because it will take a few days before I can get the Canadian plates, which means I cannot drive my car till then...
i'm not sure what you mean. i was still able to drive my us plated car while i was going through the import process, and was able to drive it before then as well in canada or the us. as long as the registration and insurance is valid, you can drive the car short term. generally 6 months is the threshold for when you need to start figuring out changing it over.

Baffled

Star Member
Apr 7, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-31-2015
Doc's Request.
Statutory Declaration of Common-Law 01-04-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
08-04-2015 (10-01-2015: PR In Process)
File Transfer...
Fingerprint Background Check (Canada) 02-18-2016
Med's Request
Up Front
Med's Done....
May-07-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 27, 2016
LANDED..........
May 18, 2016
I am really glad this helped people out. I have been really busy settling down and getting work. My car now contains BC plates so everything worked out great. Now that things are settling down I will try and revisit once and a while to answer questions best I can, but looks like everything is already being handled :D.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

CDNPR2014 said:
i'm not sure what you mean. i was still able to drive my us plated car while i was going through the import process, and was able to drive it before then as well in canada or the us. as long as the registration and insurance is valid, you can drive the car short term. generally 6 months is the threshold for when you need to start figuring out changing it over.
1. I suggest you read the rules on driving US plated cars in Canada by Canadian residents: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-4-1-eng.html

Terms and Conditions of Importation of Conveyances

3. A conveyance may be imported if,

(a) the conveyance, while in Canada is to be used solely for the transportation of a resident and accompanying persons from the point of arrival in Canada directly to a specified destination in Canada and from the specified destination to a destination outside Canada;

(b) in the case of a commuter, the conveyance while in Canada is to be used for the personal transportation of the commuter and accompanying persons from the point of arrival in Canada to specified destinations in Canada and from a specified destination in Canada to a destination in the United States;

(c) in the case of a resident other than a commuter, the conveyance is to be imported only for the purpose of transporting his household or personal effects into or out of Canada, or for personal transportation as a result of an emergency or unforeseen contingency;

(d) in the case of a commuter, the conveyance is to be imported for the purpose of personal transportation of the commuter and accompanying persons between his place of residence in Canada and a point in the United States or for the purpose of visiting clients in Canada on behalf of his employer;

(e) the conveyance is not to be used in Canada for the purpose of

(i) touring or other leisure activity,
(ii) carrying passengers or goods for hire or reward,
(iii) transporting goods for sale, or
(iv) soliciting sales or subscriptions on behalf of an employer who operates a business in Canada;

(f) at the time of importation, the person importing the conveyance specifies to the customs officer the date on which that person intends to export the conveyance from Canada; and

(g) the conveyance is exported from Canada within the time limit specified in section 5.

4. Revoked (SOR/88-84) January 20, 1988.
Time Limits

5. (1) A conveyance may remain in Canada until the expiration of

(a) the intended date of exportation specified pursuant to paragraph 3(f), or

(b) thirty days from the date of its importation, whichever is the earlier.

(2) Where it is impossible or impracticable for a resident to comply with the requirements referred to in subsection (1), the Minister may extend the time during which a conveyance may remain in Canada for any additional period not exceeding sixty days from the date of its importation into Canada.

6. The Minister may require security with respect to a conveyance that is temporarily imported in the form of cash or a certified cheque in an amount not exceeding the duties that would be payable if tariff item No. 9802.00.00.00 of the List of Tariff Provisions in the Schedule to the Customs Tariff did not apply to that conveyance.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
PMM said:
Hi

1. I suggest you read the rules on driving US plated cars in Canada by Canadian residents: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-4-1-eng.html

Terms and Conditions of Importation of Conveyances

3. A conveyance may be imported if,

(a) the conveyance, while in Canada is to be used solely for the transportation of a resident and accompanying persons from the point of arrival in Canada directly to a specified destination in Canada and from the specified destination to a destination outside Canada;

(b) in the case of a commuter, the conveyance while in Canada is to be used for the personal transportation of the commuter and accompanying persons from the point of arrival in Canada to specified destinations in Canada and from a specified destination in Canada to a destination in the United States;

(c) in the case of a resident other than a commuter, the conveyance is to be imported only for the purpose of transporting his household or personal effects into or out of Canada, or for personal transportation as a result of an emergency or unforeseen contingency;

(d) in the case of a commuter, the conveyance is to be imported for the purpose of personal transportation of the commuter and accompanying persons between his place of residence in Canada and a point in the United States or for the purpose of visiting clients in Canada on behalf of his employer;

(e) the conveyance is not to be used in Canada for the purpose of

(i) touring or other leisure activity,
(ii) carrying passengers or goods for hire or reward,
(iii) transporting goods for sale, or
(iv) soliciting sales or subscriptions on behalf of an employer who operates a business in Canada;

(f) at the time of importation, the person importing the conveyance specifies to the customs officer the date on which that person intends to export the conveyance from Canada; and

(g) the conveyance is exported from Canada within the time limit specified in section 5.

4. Revoked (SOR/88-84) January 20, 1988.
Time Limits

5. (1) A conveyance may remain in Canada until the expiration of

(a) the intended date of exportation specified pursuant to paragraph 3(f), or

(b) thirty days from the date of its importation, whichever is the earlier.

(2) Where it is impossible or impracticable for a resident to comply with the requirements referred to in subsection (1), the Minister may extend the time during which a conveyance may remain in Canada for any additional period not exceeding sixty days from the date of its importation into Canada.

6. The Minister may require security with respect to a conveyance that is temporarily imported in the form of cash or a certified cheque in an amount not exceeding the duties that would be payable if tariff item No. 9802.00.00.00 of the List of Tariff Provisions in the Schedule to the Customs Tariff did not apply to that conveyance.
i don't understand your post. yes, there is a time frame that you must follow once you start the import process ( i'm guessing this is the 30 days you highlighted?). i've mentioned this timeline in previous posts and don't suggest otherwise. the 6 months i'm referencing in my statement you quoted has nothing to do with the import process. it is the threshold most us insurance companies use when they find out the car is in canada and they start canceling your policy, so generally a person has up to 6 months to figure out how to get the import process started.

i successfully imported my car 2 years ago without issue. it was listed on my goods to follow form as a conveyance when i landed. i imported it 3 months later. it has been imported, inspected and registered. i was giving advice based on what i knew and did. i had no issue driving a us plated car in canada before importing. the riv, cbsa, and the us border never took issue with this, so there really isn't anything i need to read about driving a us plated car or importing it.

Reactions: vcoer

new3b

Jul 19, 2016
Hi thanks for you all to share the experience around topic.

I have some questions about it. I am a new immigrant (permenet residence) originally from China. I am staying in the US with my family (one of family member is visiting scholar). I have tourism visa to stay in US.

I bought a used car last Sep. Now I want to export it into Canada.

1. Can I use my Chinese passport and driving license (with notary and translation into English) at the US border of export? I don't have US driving license.

2. Will the US border have the car for many hours or days at the border? So do Canada border or Customs? I need to drive it on road to my destination. So I assume this process might be completed within ONE day?

3. I am staying in Boston. What should I do before driving up to the border? Any work with local DMV(boston department of motor vehicles), e.g.: clean some violation or tickets if I have them?

Many thanks to you all...

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
new3b said:
Hi thanks for you all to share the experience around topic.

I have some questions about it. I am a new immigrant (permenet residence) originally from China. I am staying in the US with my family (one of family member is visiting scholar). I have tourism visa to stay in US.

I bought a used car last Sep. Now I want to export it into Canada.

1. Can I use my Chinese passport and driving license (with notary and translation into English) at the US border of export? I don't have US driving license.

2. Will the US border have the car for many hours or days at the border? So do Canada border or Customs? I need to drive it on road to my destination. So I assume this process might be completed within ONE day?

3. I am staying in Boston. What should I do before driving up to the border? Any work with local DMV(boston department of motor vehicles), e.g.: clean some violation or tickets if I have them?

Many thanks to you all...
1. i am not sure. i would suggest start reading about how to complete the process, this might give you an answer. in canada, the agency is called RIV. i forget what the agency in the us is. if you google "export car to canada", you should get some results to read through. you may also try calling the RIV and asking them this question, they are very helpful.

2. the import process takes minutes. basically the border agents are just signing off of import forms and send you on your way. the us border will need your title at least 72 hours prior to the import. this is explained in the export/import instructions.

3. there is nothing specific you need to do with the rmv to export the car. you will need to make sure there are no leins or loans on it. i don't think the process checks for tickets.

my suggestion is to start doing research, either finding a thread on this forum that breaks down the process or starting at the RIV website. while there are a lot of little steps, the process itself is relatively easy.

new3b

Jul 19, 2016
Thanks for your reply.

1. I know Canada (RIV) allows new resident to use my Chinese driving license for 3 months after landing. But I don't know if US side checks this or not?

2. Okay. I read through instruction I need to fax/email the documentation prior to the Border office 72 hours before arrival.

3. Thanks, maybe I need to call DMV for confirmation.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
new3b said:
Thanks for your reply.

1. I know Canada (RIV) allows new resident to use my Chinese driving license for 3 months after landing. But I don't know if US side checks this or not?

2. Okay. I read through instruction I need to fax/email the documentation prior to the Border office 72 hours before arrival.

3. Thanks, maybe I need to call DMV for confirmation.
1, you need to call the US side and ask. you can try calling a border office to see if they have the information. if not, RIV may be helpful in giving you direction

3. it is highly doubtful the MA DMV is going to know anything about exporting/importing a car. they may be able to tell you if there are any leins/loans on the car, though as the car owner, you should already be aware if they are any. as for tickets, again, it is doubtful this will affect the import and i doubt calling the dmv will result in getting an answer.

your best bet is to call the agencies that handle vehicle export/imports.

new3b

Jul 19, 2016
I want to follow the guideline as this post and do it myself to save some budget.
I will try to use simplifiedtradesolutions.com to have AES ITN...as I am not US resident and I don't have job or SSN here.

maniacworld

Apr 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
guys,
off topic

i have my PR and did short landing. been there couple of times but havent moved permanently. I recently got my passport renewed outside Canada.although i do have the older one which had my canadian visa. but do i need to get this information updated somewhere that i have my renewed passport now and thats the passport i will use to enter Canada from now on.

Dont know where to look for such information. Can someone guide please or direct me where to get the confirmation/reqd info.

Many Thanks

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
gilean said:
Do I have to pay Ontario hst or anything when I register the car or is that waived as well?
i don't remember paying taxes when registering. i paid for the ontario inspection and the registration.

howcoldisit

Dec 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Has anyone been in a situation where they came in on a work permit and temporarily imported their car (meaning their car needs to be removed after the work permit expires), then received PR and tried to export it out of the US? I'm in a situation where my US car is in Canada with Canadian plates but my Form 1 clearly indicates a temporary import. Now Service Ontario wont give me my US title and I dont know what to do. Should I go to US customs at the border and explain the situation? What are the repercussions (if any)?

BC29

Apr 4, 2015
Thanks for this excellent post, has clarified things a lot! I'm still confused on one thing though, the documentation needed to go along with the ITN for the export from the US part of the process. For my wife's car, we have a Certificate of Title for Washington. However, the US CBP also mentions needing copies of the original title and Bill of Sale. My wife's car is 12 years old she's at least the 3rd owner of it, so I'm not really sure what documentation for the car still exists beyond the WA Certificate of Title. My wife's mother is digging through her archives to see what else can be found. According to the Blue Book her car is only worth about $1700 now. Barely seems worth importing but it has new tires, is paid off and runs great so we're going to try do it anyway. So if someone can clarify exactly what we need in this situation, that would be much appreciated!