+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting/Importing Vehicle - US to Canada ONLY!

new3b

Jul 19, 2016
Hi guys...

1. I am exporting my car to New Brunswick (driving through Maine USA). After going across the border, can I have the car inspection and registry in Ontario? I am a new immigrant of provincial nominee program in New Brunswick. Any additional document for it?

2. I filled the address of New Brunswick in E-form on RIV. For importer and foreign vendor, I used the same address of my friend in New Brunswick. Is it ok?

3. How may days it will take for RIV mailing RIV inspection form to me? to which address, importer or foreign vendor?

Thanks...

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
1. assuming you know to also complete the export procedures on the US side before importing it in canada, yes the inspection and registration is done AFTER you start the import process. it goes - export on us side - import on canada side - pay the riv fee - get car inspected by RIV mechanic and get any mechanical work done (ie: daytime running lights) - they will do both the RIV and provincial inspections, send in final RIV paperwork, insure car, register car.

2. yes

3. you will want to follow up with RIV that the border actually sent it. it doesn't take too long, possibly only a wait of days. there is a timeframe for finalizing everything, so it's pretty quick. if you don't receive it, RIV will send it quickly when you ask for it.

new3b

Jul 19, 2016
Thanks.

So I can get the RIV sending inspection form in New Brunswick and drive the car to Toronto to have inspection and registry, is it?

RIV and provincial inspections are both in Canadian Tires?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
new3b said:
Thanks.

So I can get the RIV sending inspection form in New Brunswick and drive the car to Toronto to have inspection and registry, is it?

RIV and provincial inspections are both in Canadian Tires?
1. yes i believe so, since the import is federally based, not provincially based. i would recommend calling RIV to confirm.

2. yes, both are done at Canadian Tire

smtele

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-12-2015
Passport Req..
05-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016
The steps posted by OP Baffled are excellent, and I followed them to export/import my car recently at Lewiston bridge/Niagara falls. It saved a lot of time & hassle.

Here are some points from my experience:

1) Have all the car documents ready

- title (the most important document!!!)
- sale receipts
- registration and insurance (these should be already in your car)
- recall clearance (car must be imported in Canada within 30 days from the date of issue)
- car value (use www.kbb.com) -- this might be needed when registering on RIV online, or filling the goods to follow list
- optional: car history (use carfax.com) -- among other things, this gives you the state of the car (clear/salvage/rebuilt, etc) needed by RIV

2) Submit paperwork to RIV online

Checking that your vehicle is admissible for import in Canada is enough to import it at the border (after exporting it from the US). You can do the required modifications after the import.

So, check your vehicle's admissibility, get a checklist from RIV online to figure out which port you will be exporting/importing your car, create an account on RIV, and submit all the documents online, and pay the fees.

After this, you can download Form 1, which will be presented to the officer at the border at the time of import.

Note: Your address on Form 1 needs to be a Canadian address.

3) To export car from the US at Lewiston bridge, all that was needed was the ITN & VIN number to start the process. I consulted a broker to get the ITN number: http://www.autoexports.us/
They were pretty prompt at answering my questions, and making any changes to the export date.

After getting the ITN, I e-mailed VIN + ITN to the export office, who then sent me instructions on the next steps -- wait for 72 hours, and then come to the export office at the border between 8am - 4pm, Mon-Fri, off on holidays (times specific to Lewiston bridge export office).

4) For Lewiston bridge only, I learnt that Fridays are especially busy. So, I planned to cross the border in the middle of the week, on a Wednesday.

5) Getting to the CBP export office at Lewiston bridge

This was a bit confusing to get to. There is no definite address on google maps for it. You need to go all the way to the US border, make sure to slow down, and then take a big left turn. Do not miss this turn, otherwise you will end up in Canada :), but won't be able to import the car :(

Here are some helpful pointers:

- set your GPS to: Niagara Falls Bridge Commision, 365 Military Rd, Lewiston, NY 14092, United States
- left at the light to go on Upper Mountain Rd
- immediate right ramp to Canada
- you will see a roadside sign telling you to take a left turn for the export office
- take that big left turn to get to the office

direct link to the image above: http://i.imgur.com/Qm1UtSa.jpg
on google maps: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6970683

6) The export

The officer at the export office checked my status in the US, the title of the car, passport, and had a look at the car, and I was good to go. They did not give me any papers. Took about 10 min. After the export, you cannot stay in the US. You have to go straight to Canada.

7) The import

The officer took a look at the title of the car, my drivers license, and asked me it's estimated value. Then he stamped and wrote some details on the Form 1, and goods/goods to follow list, and I was good to go. As I had already filled out Form 1, and paid the fees (in step 2 above), this process was quick. Took about 15 min.

8 ) Post import

I am waiting to get a federal inspection form, after which I will get the required modifications, and finally a car registration, and a license.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
smtele said:
7) Post import

I am waiting to get a federal inspection form, after which I will get the required modifications, and finally a car registration, and a license.
from experience, if you are relying on the CBSA to send the required documents to the RIV to get your federal inspection form, call RIV to confirm they received the information from CBSA. there's a chance it may not get there. RIV had not received the form from the border office i imported at, so i sent pictures of the form, and they sent me the necessary paperwork for the inspections. RIV was very helpful.

Reactions: Staunts2015

DBHC

Star Member
Sep 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2016
Doc's Request.
Requested 02-05-2016; Submitted 20-05-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1 19-03-2016; AOR2 08-04-2016
File Transfer...
24-03-2016
Med's Done....
24-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-06-2016; COPR 07-07-2016
LANDED..........
01-09-2016
smtele said:
8 ) Post import

I had the same problem, but it turns out that the form was ready all along and could be downloaded using their Track Your Case tool (https://www.riv.ca/TrackYourCase.aspx).

shankster87

Nov 16, 2015
This might be a stretch but I'll ask anyway: Anyone here know of financial institutions that transfer auto loans from their US arm to their Canadian arm? I've tried some googling and cold calling a couple times but hit dead ends. Any pointers will be appreciated :)

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
shankster87 said:
This might be a stretch but I'll ask anyway: Anyone here know of financial institutions that transfer auto loans from their US arm to their Canadian arm? I've tried some googling and cold calling a couple times but hit dead ends. Any pointers will be appreciated :)
this is going to be company specific, so you would have to keep cold calling or call the company you currently have a loan with and ask. there are some companies that do and there are some companies that don't. unless you are already an existing customer, i doubt a company would provide a loan in the US then automatically transfer it to Canada. i would assume there is some sort of wait period to be able to do that. remember, if you transfer it to a canadian company, you are going to be paying back in canadian dollars, meaning the total amount will be exchanged to CDN and will appear be higher than what you are paying now.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Also , you will need physical copy of title while exporting car from USA to Canada. Even if you somehow find a company that can transfer car loan from USA to Canada , you will need to convince them to give you title.

mtn_air

May 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 16, 2014
AOR Received.
Dec 23, 2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 8, 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
Started processing June 29, DM on July 2, Visa arrived July 9!
LANDED..........
Aug 8 - Sault Ste Marie - PR CARD finally received in Feb, 2016!
I need some advice on how to handle the 72 hour issue (paperwork and vehicle must be in the USA 72 hours prior to export).

My details are that I landed last August, 2015 (so over a year ago). I did have my vehicle on the "goods to follow" form so I'm ok there, but I've had the car with me this whole time in Canada (had to pay off the loan to obtain the Title). I also had the permission of my insurance company and loan company (same company) to do so. I now have the Title in hand as vehicle is paid off as of 15 days ago so I'm ready to export/import ;D

My big question is, since I'm already in Canada, if I drive across (like at Niagara) would I be ok to simply export/import all at once? I know the paperwork will have to be to the USA 72 hours in advance, but how about the vehicle? I also have read they will ask where I'm coming from. I'm not sure how much info I need to divulge here.

One option is I could drive the vehicle across, park it at long term parking at the Buffalo airport, then in 3-4 days, come back across and pick it up and complete the process. Is this overkill?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks to those who posted on this thread...great helpful info.

Thanks and I'M LOVING CANADA!!!

smtele

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-12-2015
Passport Req..
05-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016
mtn_air said:
My big question is, since I'm already in Canada, if I drive across (like at Niagara) would I be ok to simply export/import all at once? I know the paperwork will have to be to the USA 72 hours in advance, but how about the vehicle? I also have read they will ask where I'm coming from. I'm not sure how much info I need to divulge here.
Export/Import can be done at once. The car needs to be imported right after you export it. I am assuming that you are driving a US number plated car?

The car needs to be in the US for at least 72 hours. This is what the export office at Buffalo/Niagara Falls asks for, and the officer also confirmed this with me. Below is the e-mail from the export office after I submitted the VIN and ITN a few days ago.

****PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE MAIL****

The vehicle(s) must be in the U.S. when you submit your VIN and must remain in the U.S. until you export it with U.S. Customs.

This e-mail response serves as your confirmation that CBP has received your vehicle export information. You may export the vehicle 72 hours from receipt of this e-mail during regular business hours.

Business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. We are closed on all U.S. Federal holidays. Please allow adequate time to process your paperwork as our office closes right at 4:00pm.

We are located in the Lewiston Bridge Cargo Warehouse- Room # 135

The Lewiston Bridge is the only place to export a vehicle in Western New York

If you receive a response from us – Please do not resubmit the same VIN/Serial number – as it will be kept on file for 6 months.

Vehicles for export may not be brought to Canada or be in Canada prior to being formally exported by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Failure to comply with the requirements set forth in 19 CFR 192.2 may result in a penalty action.

Things required at time of vehicle export:
º The vehicle which is to be exported.
° Your ITN number (AES must contain the correct information, ie VIN)
º Original title. Vehicles that have no title, (for example: snowmobiles, ATV’s, backhoes, forklifts) must present a registration and/or ORIGINAL bill of sale. If there is no Title for construction equipment or a vehicle that has no Title (ex: snowmobiles, ATV’s, backhoes, construction equipment, forklifts, etc) – then you must present an Invoice with an original signature from the seller. This requirement varies from state to state. It is your responsibility to determine what that state’s ownership requirements are. Vehicles with active liens need a certified copy of the title (see below).
º WHTI compliant identification for yourself and all parties with you. Please refer to the following website for information on WHTI compliant identification:
http://www.getyouhome.gov/
º Where title evidences third-party ownership/claims. If vehicle is leased or a recorded lien exists in the U.S, the provisional owner must provide to Customs a separate letter from the third-party-in-interest which specifically states that the vehicle may be permanently exported or no longer has any interest in the vehicle since the loan has been paid off. This writing must be original and on the third-party's letterhead paper, and contain a complete description of the vehicle including the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), the name of the owner or lienholder of the leased vehicle, and the telephone numbers at which that owner or lienholder may be contacted. The writing must bear an original signature of the third-party and state the date it was signed. In addition, vehicles with active liens need a certified copy of the title. No electronic titles will be accepted.

º This printed, e-mail confirmation including your original message to CBP.

Additional information can be obtained via the Vehicle Export information line (716)843-8359.
All questions must be directed to buffalovinnyoffice@dhs.gov

Thank you,

Vehicle Export Office
US Customs and Border Protection
1 Lewiston Plaza
Lewiston, NY 14092
buffalovinnyoffice@dhs.gov
(716)843-8359

smtele

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-12-2015
Passport Req..
05-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016
CDNPR2014 said:
from experience, if you are relying on the CBSA to send the required documents to the RIV to get your federal inspection form, call RIV to confirm they received the information from CBSA. there's a chance it may not get there. RIV had not received the form from the border office i imported at, so i sent pictures of the form, and they sent me the necessary paperwork for the inspections. RIV was very helpful.
DBHC said:
I had the same problem, but it turns out that the form was ready all along and could be downloaded using their Track Your Case tool (https://www.riv.ca/TrackYourCase.aspx).
Thanks guys. I called RIV, and they were able to send the federal inspection form right away.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
ASE filing: Can i submit the export filing with approximate date and then can i inform ahead to the borders on my vehicle incoming? Not sure if this export date needs to be followed strictly. Please suggest.

Recall clearance letter: Any other way (other than requesting from the address given in riv - asked them but dont know when they will respond)? Will they accept printout from nissanusa.com validation on recall?