+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting Car from US, few Concerns...

Friend2ya

Oct 12, 2009
We will be driving to Toronto around August, after we got approved for PR. I know pretty much what are the procedures to import the car from US. My concern is before you cross the bridge between US-Canada. You have to stop at the US Custom to get the Title inspected, stamped and when you are in the Canadian side you handle all the paperworks without any problem. Second concern is my wife is US citizen and I am a visa overstayed for long time. She would be the one walking/handling the title inside the office ( I assume you go in the building) I remember someone in the forum saying that an officer asks about your status. Would I encounter any problem while waiting outside the car? if when an officer comes out to inspect the car or should I wait near by rest area to avoid question regarding my status in the US. This will be at the Queenstone-Lewiston Bridge...any suggestion will be appreciated, because I am so nervous!! Thanks

Friend2ya

Oct 12, 2009
Besides what are the chances I will get arrested at the US border trying to go Canada with an approved PR?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Friend2ya said:
The more I read you fax the title to the US custom for export within 72 hrs prior arrival, and then what? Drive non stop towards the Canadian Custom Border without seeing an US officer?
No, you still have to stop to pick up the clearance. Note though the Customs office where you pick it up is not usually at the border. Find your crossing here: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/ note the opening hours and the fax nos.

Friend2ya

Oct 12, 2009
PMM said:
Hi

No, you still have to stop to pick up the clearance. Note though the Customs office where you pick it up is not usually at the border. Find your crossing here: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/ note the opening hours and the fax nos.
Yes that will be Lewiston Bridge for car export...thanks PPM

Friend2ya

Oct 12, 2009
Wow i see whAt you are saying PPM...i was so nervous. If you are saying once you faxed the title that is the place my wife pickups the approval which is Buffalo, base on RIV website designated location and then head straight to Canada border...which is Lewiston Bridge...I am relieved now...but I still have to stay away from that office...to avoid any encounter when they do inspect the car
Port Information
Port Code: 0901
Location Address: 726 Exchange Street
Suite 400
Buffalo, NY 14210
Mailing Address: CBP - Port of Buffalo
726 Exchange Street Suite 400
Buffalo, NY 14210
General Phone: (716) 843-8300
Operational Hours: 8:30 AM-5:00 PM(Eastern)
Weekdays (Monday-Friday)
Description: A Service Port is a CBP location that has a full range of cargo processing functions, including inspections, entry, collections, and verification (19 CFR 101.1).

ramnag

Jun 12, 2012
Need help with my issue here please:

we recently drove to Toronto from Chicago via Michigan's Port Huron Blue Water Bridge, on a temporary Canadian work permit. As per US customs requirements, i faxed my title and export documents 72 hours prior to departure. I was expecting US customs port of exit prior to Canadian customs port of entry, but sadly, there was no US customs port of exit prior to Canadian's. Since I could not turn around before entering Canada, I had no choice but to continue to drive into Canadian customs port of entry.

Now that i am in Canada, what is the best way to get export stamp from the US? I know it's ridiculously insane. I have written to CBP as well, but haven't heard from them yet.

Anyone knows?

Friend2ya said:
We will be driving to Toronto around August, after we got approved for PR. I know pretty much what are the procedures to import the car from US. My concern is before you cross the bridge between US-Canada. You have to stop at the US Custom to get the Title inspected, stamped and when you are in the Canadian side you handle all the paperworks without any problem. Second concern is my wife is US citizen and I am a visa overstayed for long time. She would be the one walking/handling the title inside the office ( I assume you go in the building) I remember someone in the forum saying that an officer asks about your status. Would I encounter any problem while waiting outside the car? if when an officer comes out to inspect the car or should I wait near by rest area to avoid question regarding my status in the US. This will be at the Queenstone-Lewiston Bridge...any suggestion will be appreciated, because I am so nervous!! Thanks

Friend2ya

Oct 12, 2009
Like PPM says the office is not by the port....use the website above and http://www.riv.ca/USCustoms.aspx it will determine where u should had gone to one office before you crosses the bridge.

Friend2ya

Oct 12, 2009
I believe this the office, where you had stopped at before you cross....didn't you go to RIV after you crossed the border? Here is the office

Port Of Entry-Port Huron
Port Information
Port Code: 3802
Location Address: 526 Water Street - Room 301
Port Huron, MI 48060-5471
Mailing Address: Same As Above
General Phone: (810) 985-7125
General Fax: (810) 985-3516
Operational Hours: 8:00 AM-4:30 PM(Eastern)
Weekdays (Monday-Friday)
Description: A Port of Entry is any designated place at which a CBP officer is authorized to accept entries of merchandise to collect duties, and to enforce the various provisions of the customs and navigation laws (19 CFR 101.1).
Brokers : View List

tseug

Dec 30, 2014
ramnag, I am in a similar situation. Were you able to go back to the border to get your vehicle exported from U.S. customs?

If yes, did you need a visa to go to the U.S. customs, or can you get to the customs office without entering U.S.?

david1697

Nov 29, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have smuggled vehicle from US bypassing the US Customs and failing to file proper export documents.
Canada has a treaty on extradition with US, and since this is considered a serious crime you could be extradited to US and tried
for Federal Crime of smuggling a vehicle without export permission, see 50 USC Sec. 1985 9A)(g) , 1986 (C)(k) and 1992 (B)(ii) , which is the most serious one and can result in penalty of $200,000 fine, 20 years in federal prison or both.

Ok, just kidding.

Exporting your belongings from US which are subject to US Customs control is not a difficult task on its' own merit, but you have to know each step of the process. Many people hire shipping company and let them handle all the bureaucratic hurdles.
Of course,others don't, as it costs less if you do it by yourself. But you will need to some research (including this forum) and google.
At least you don't have a leased car, so one less worry for you.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
tseug said:
ramnag, I am in a similar situation. Were you able to go back to the border to get your vehicle exported from U.S. customs?

If yes, did you need a visa to go to the U.S. customs, or can you get to the customs office without entering U.S.?
this original post is from 2012. it is highly doubtful the information on this thread is even accurate now. specifically, the vehicle export proceedure from the US changed slightly in October. i would recommend starting a new thread asking the question you need answered.

zchan

Feb 22, 2015
So does anyone have the directions to the port of exit? I'm exporting my vehicle next week via Port Huron and looks like on Google Maps that the interstate just runs right through to Canada.

I looked on Google Maps and it says 2321 Pine Grove Avenue is the CBP building. There's a parking lot there but I heard I shouldn't be parking. Help? There's also a "Bridge to Canada" sign right before the parking lot, should I take that?

aashay12

Star Member
Jun 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo transferred to ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 2011
Med's Request
25th october 2013
Med's Done....
yes
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
first week of january
VISA ISSUED...
24/1/14
LANDED..........
13 nov, a day before the visa expires
hey man,

i was out of status for 4 months in US, as long as you dont have a criminal record in US, the Canadian side wont ask u anything
The canadian side does have an access to your basic records. So an arrest warant, DUI will show up in their system as well..
When you go by car in am not one hundred percent sure as to what happens.
But there one thing you can do is you can ask your wife to drive from rainbow bridge and you get out of the car and walk to Canada
over the bridge and US side has no inspection, they have no trace of you leaving the country, they can only figure it out when you reach Canada and get stamped and try to enter the US. Thats how they know it.
So my friend she could drive and you could walk.
Again i dont know your situation, but u need to go to US embassy to get the visa to enter the US again, which ur wife could sponsor.
good luck.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
zchan said:
So does anyone have the directions to the port of exit? I'm exporting my vehicle next week via Port Huron and looks like on Google Maps that the interstate just runs right through to Canada.

I looked on Google Maps and it says 2321 Pine Grove Avenue is the CBP building. There's a parking lot there but I heard I shouldn't be parking. Help? There's also a "Bridge to Canada" sign right before the parking lot, should I take that?
i would suggest calling the export office at the border you plan to go through. they will give you the right information as to where to go. they are usually pretty helpful. there is usually a direct number for exports. remember, you will need to initiate the export in the AES Direct system first in order to obtain the ITN#. CBP will not and can not export the car without it.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
aashay12 said:
hey man,

i was out of status for 4 months in US, as long as you dont have a criminal record in US, the Canadian side wont ask u anything
The canadian side does have an access to your basic records. So an arrest warant, DUI will show up in their system as well..
When you go by car in am not one hundred percent sure as to what happens.
But there one thing you can do is you can ask your wife to drive from rainbow bridge and you get out of the car and walk to Canada
over the bridge and US side has no inspection, they have no trace of you leaving the country, they can only figure it out when you reach Canada and get stamped and try to enter the US. Thats how they know it.
So my friend she could drive and you could walk.
Again i dont know your situation, but u need to go to US embassy to get the visa to enter the US again, which ur wife could sponsor.
good luck.
what does this have to do with exporting a car from the US?