+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting a Vehicle from the U.S. and Importing into Canada: Complete Step-by-Step Guide

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Very informative thread!

A few questions I would like to ask this group
1. The whole export import process at the border - How long didi it take? I have a baby traveling with us, so wanted to know if its a lengthy process at the border
2. Car Title - My car was purchased in Illinois and I am currently in California with california plates. So the Car title was issued by Illinois but registration is California. Is this a problem? Should the title and registration be from the same state?
1. To me export took 15 minutes, could be faster.
2. It does not matter, all they need is ATN number and a Title and the owner's ID ( passport)

ca_hopeful

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
1. To me export took 15 minutes, could be faster.
2. It does not matter, all they need is ATN number and a Title and the owner's ID ( passport)
Thanks. Actually for point 2, it does matter. I checked with US Exports and they told me that the title should be from the same state in which my car was registered. Not sure if all Export Offices follow this rule

ca_hopeful

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
Friends,
Another question. From what I read, the moment my car is exported and enters Canada my US insurance will cease to cover my car. In that case can I buy Car insurance before its registered in Canada? After I enter Canada there is about an 1 long drive from border to the place I will be staying. I want to make sure I'm covered while I drive inside Canada and during the 14 day quarantine period before registering my car in Canada.

Thanks for your help!

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Thanks. Actually for point 2, it does matter. I checked with US Exports and they told me that the title should be from the same state in which my car was registered. Not sure if all Export Offices follow this rule
I do not know about that. I've sold only one car in my life with Title from Ohio and sold in Michigan. If you move from one state to another you do not have to change your Title. Also if you paid lien you do not have to request a new title (without lien stamp), so if you are selling your car you just attach a letter from the loan company that your loan is paid off. During my export ( 2 times) US side just wanted to see a Title, they did not request to see a registration/insurance.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Friends,
Another question. From what I read, the moment my car is exported and enters Canada my US insurance will cease to cover my car. In that case can I buy Car insurance before its registered in Canada? After I enter Canada there is about an 1 long drive from border to the place I will be staying. I want to make sure I'm covered while I drive inside Canada and during the 14 day quarantine period before registering my car in Canada.

Thanks for your help!
Don't think so (US insurance will cease to cover my car.). The coverage is between you and your insurance company. You can call to your insurance and check with them, but I doubt they know about that specific situation. You cannot buy Canadian insurance before its registered in Canada.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hi all, do we need to show proof of US car insurance at any point during the process?
You would need a car insurance to drive a car - that's a law in both countries. US export officers or Canadian Import officers do not ask for insurance. Insurance is for you in case of accident or to show US/Canadian police in case of stop.

Rhendera

Nov 20, 2020
I am confused as to what to do and maybe I can get some advice here.
Entered Canada last year (from the states) with the intent of getting married and waiting out the application inland. I got a letter stating I could stay for up to a year, which I have now applied to extend because things took forever because of covid. (we are married now and have submitted our application and have a temporary application number) - my question, I am in Ontario, and I am wondering if I can get Ontario license plates? My car entered with me on the visitor visa so it was never formally imported. I own the vehicle, no liens or anything else on it. Or do I register it with the Canadian insurance under my US title? This is all nice and confusing - I just want to do everything right but they don't make it easy!

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I am confused as to what to do and maybe I can get some advice here.
Entered Canada last year (from the states) with the intent of getting married and waiting out the application inland. I got a letter stating I could stay for up to a year, which I have now applied to extend because things took forever because of covid. (we are married now and have submitted our application and have a temporary application number) - my question, I am in Ontario, and I am wondering if I can get Ontario license plates? My car entered with me on the visitor visa so it was never formally imported. I own the vehicle, no liens or anything else on it. Or do I register it with the Canadian insurance under my US title? This is all nice and confusing - I just want to do everything right but they don't make it easy!
All I can say is you are temporary resident, this is your status, so "A vehicle can be imported temporarily to Canada by visitors, tourists and temporary residents"

Please read:
https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transportation/importing-vehicle/temporarily-importing-vehicles

What's important for you is "You'll need to complete a vehicle import form (form 1) to temporarily import and licence your vehicle. "

I have never done that, but I see that this it duable, keep your research.

vj12

Oct 26, 2018
Hi,

did you change the title to California before exporting?

pramodsoori

Star Member
Jan 11, 2019
Hi All, I am planning to take my new car which was brought after my first landing in Jan last year. Hope i need to pay the taxes . May i know can we use any US credit card to pay the taxes at the border to CBSA or have Canadian dollars ready before leaving from USA.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hi All, I am planning to take my new car which was brought after my first landing in Jan last year. Hope i need to pay the taxes . May i know can we use any US credit card to pay the taxes at the border to CBSA or have Canadian dollars ready before leaving from USA.
I personally never paid inside the CBSA office, but in general I use my US ( no foreign transaction fee) CC in Canada and getting nice banking conversion rate. I would still check with CBSA office whether they accept payment by credit card at all.

Reactions: pramodsoori

Hiphop29

Nov 12, 2020
Quick question - landed yesterday and received inspection form from RIV. It has section for modification (checks and doesn’t looks like it needs any modification) and bunch of things listed under it. Do I simply head to an inspection site or still visit dealership to have them fill out modification section?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Quick question - landed yesterday and received inspection form from RIV. It has section for modification (checks and doesn’t looks like it needs any modification) and bunch of things listed under it. Do I simply head to an inspection site or still visit dealership to have them fill out modification section?
I would go to Canadian Tire ( or another inspection site) and they will tell you what needed to be done. Just do what they say, since they will do inspection.