+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting a Vehicle from the U.S. and Importing into Canada: Complete Step-by-Step Guide

Usa2canada<3

Star Member
Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-08-2020
AOR Received.
11-25-2020
Im in a wierd situation because i planned on doing an inland application only came for a short visit then ended up deciding to stay longer because of covid have 6 months due to being from the us and no stamped passport did not realize i have to do import and export. Is there anyway to fix this because my wife wantsto register the car in Ontario.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Im in a wierd situation because i planned on doing an inland application only came for a short visit then ended up deciding to stay longer because of covid have 6 months due to being from the us and no stamped passport did not realize i have to do import and export. Is there anyway to fix this because my wife wantsto register the car in Ontario.
You have no permanent status in Canada with US plated/insured car, what is your status in US?

Usa2canada<3

Star Member
Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-08-2020
AOR Received.
11-25-2020
You have no permanent status in Canada with US plated/insured car, what is your status in US?
Us citizen and the car is currently registered and insured in the us the problem that i have right now is if im not mistaken i would need an idp to continuing driving unless i exchange my drivers license and get it registered in Ontario. The original plan was to gift the car to my spouse so it could be registered in Ontario. and i think i can exchange my license for an Ontario license with out any issues? although im not sure. i just do not want to be driving illegally.l

Last edited:

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Us citizen and the car is currently registered and insured in the us the problem that i have right now is if im not mistaken i would need an idp to continuing driving unless i exchange my drivers license and get it registered in Ontario. The original plan was to gift the car to my spouse so it could be registered in Ontario. and i think i can exchange my license for an Ontario license with out any issues? although im not sure. i just do not want to be driving illegally.l
You cannot stay in Canada for more than 6 months , you cannot get your Ontario DL - you are foreigner in Canada... The only way is to transfer the Title to your wife name ( here in MI you would need to go to SOS, maybe with Power Of Attorney) and after that you can do export/import of "your wife's" car and , by the way to pay import duties. Only after proper import your wife can register the vehicle in Ontario. Not sure that SOS or DMV are open now, not sure if US side is open to do export procedure.

Also, here in MI, since the drivers sometimes cannot renew online their DL or vehicle registration, because of situation - the police relaxed rules and allow drive in MI as is. US insurance is not a problem, you can renews it online, but also is suggested to have Yellow Canadian Insurance card ( from US insurance company) -to show Canadian police in case of stop. You can drive in Canada with your US DL.

Usa2canada<3

Star Member
Feb 21, 2020
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-08-2020
AOR Received.
11-25-2020
You cannot stay in Canada for more than 6 months , you cannot get your Ontario DL - you are foreigner in Canada... The only way is to transfer the Title to your wife name ( here in MI you would need to go to SOS, maybe with Power Of Attorney) and after that you can do export/import of "your wife's" car and , by the way to pay import duties. Only after proper import your wife can register the vehicle in Ontario. Not sure that SOS or DMV are open now, not sure if US side is open to do export procedure.

Also, here in MI, since the drivers sometimes cannot renew online their DL or vehicle registration, because of situation - the police relaxed rules and allow drive in MI as is. US insurance is not a problem, you can renews it online, but also is suggested to have Yellow Canadian Insurance card ( from US insurance company) -to show Canadian police in case of stop. You can drive in Canada with your US DL.
I am applying for extension of visitor status before my status expires in conjunction with applying for inland PR. i have a title paper with the title number. However the car is already in Canada. and from my knowledge you cant export the car without presenting it at cbp. the problem i would have is re entry since i am classified as a visitor. Would going for an international drivers permit and keep the car registered in the states be a better bet? honestly im just trying to do everything as up to board as i need to. I saw somewhere that you cant drive in Ontario for more than a certain amount of time with out getting a Ontario license. Should i just drive it as is with us car insurance and registration with the idp and then once and if i receive my pr than process the export import to avoid fees? Is the permit required. Sorry if i am blasting with questions. I have been a little anxious over everything going on

madhav_91

Star Member
Mar 18, 2019
Hi Everyone, I am exporting my Car next month and I own a BMW 2017 330I model.
Does anyone how to obtain a recall clearance letter?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hi Everyone, I am exporting my Car next month and I own a BMW 2017 330I model.
Does anyone how to obtain a recall clearance letter?
I did clearance check for my Mercedes online, try https://www.bmwusa.com/safety-and-emission-recalls.html
In the past the RIV accepted the snapshot from Mercedes website as a prove that my vehicle is recall free.

Where (what point of entry) are you going to do export/import? I am planning to do it around June 22d in Detroit-Windsor area.

madhav_91

Star Member
Mar 18, 2019
I did clearance check for my Mercedes online, try https://www.bmwusa.com/safety-and-emission-recalls.html
In the past the RIV accepted the snapshot from Mercedes website as a prove that my vehicle is recall free.

Where (what point of entry) are you going to do export/import? I am planning to do it around June 22d in Detroit-Windsor area.
Can we get assurance that snapshot works ? I hope they don't turn us back for that.
I haven't decided the Port of Entry but I will going from Detroit as well.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Can we get assurance that snapshot works ? I hope they don't turn us back for that.
I haven't decided the Port of Entry but I will going from Detroit as well.
Well, I have a copy of my email to RIV in advance to my export ( like a week before). The letter is below with the screen snapshot attached
"To Whom It May Concern
Please see attached the snapshot from the https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/recall showing that the vehicle is not currently affected by a safety recall.
Please confirm that the vehicle is cleared for import.
Thank you,
"
After that I got "Thank you for submitting recall clearance. Your document may take up to one business day to process. "

The next day or so I got the following: "

Date: Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 1:53 PM
Subject: RIV Federal Inspection Form for VIN: WDCGG0EB8E*******
To: support@support.riv.ca

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good day,
The recall document we have received bearing VIN WDCGG0EB8E******** has been approved.
As long as the approved document is less than thirty days old at the time of importation it will be honoured.
If your vehicle has more than one manufacturer, more than one recall may be required.
Please visit www.riv.ca to verify admissibility and learn more about the import process.
"
Only after that I started to get ready for Export by ordering ITN number for $35 from simplifiedtradesolutions.com ( got ITN on Sep 13, 2018) and sending 72 hours notice to the border.

On Sept 21, 2018 I did export and the same day after Import emailed to RIV a copy of Form 1, prove of clearance from them and prove of $350 payment to get RIV inspection form.

By the way I ran trough BMW link above several VINs for actual 'BMW' /'330' / 'I' and VIN_YEAR=2017 and got
"
0 open recall for your vehicle", so , I think, you can use it - one problem less.

ThorUS2Canada

May 30, 2020
Hi,

I am a Canadian PR and legally imported (RIV, ITN etc.) a US car to Ontario 3 months back. Due to the change in the circumstances due to COVID-19, I need to leave Canada to be with my parents. Can I sell the car in Canada?

Please note that FOrm 1 states that I cannot sell the car for a year. I am ok to pay any taxes ( if required).

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hi,

I am a Canadian PR and legally imported (RIV, ITN etc.) a US car to Ontario 3 months back. Due to the change in the circumstances due to COVID-19, I need to leave Canada to be with my parents. Can I sell the car in Canada?

Please note that FOrm 1 states that I cannot sell the car for a year. I am ok to pay any taxes ( if required).
Are you returning to US?
"A vehicle taken from the United States for non-commercial, private use may be returned duty free by proving to CBP that it was previously owned and registered in the United States. "
https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

Otherwise ServiceCanada instruct to contact CBSA first since with stamp in "green slip" you just cannot sell it as is during first 12 months - as I understand.

ThorUS2Canada

May 30, 2020
Are you returning to US?
"A vehicle taken from the United States for non-commercial, private use may be returned duty free by proving to CBP that it was previously owned and registered in the United States. "
https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

Otherwise ServiceCanada instruct to contact CBSA first since with stamp in "green slip" you just cannot sell it as is during first 12 months - as I understand.
I am not moving to US but my home country Australia.
IT was for private use and not commercial use.

gilly2020

Jun 8, 2020
Hi, I'm a Canadian in Canada at the moment with a US vehicle. I've been trying to figure out how to export the vehicle from the US but I've had no luck with the current COVID situation and not being able to enter the US. Has anyone dealt with this or any idea what can I do?

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hi, I'm a Canadian in Canada at the moment with a US vehicle. I've been trying to figure out how to export the vehicle from the US but I've had no luck with the current COVID situation and not being able to enter the US. Has anyone dealt with this or any idea what can I do?
Please elaborate with "not being able to enter the US"?