+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting a Vehicle from the U.S. and Importing into Canada: Complete Step-by-Step Guide

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
Is it worth exporting vehicle from the NJ to Toronto or better to sell one here and buy there? Would love to know pros and cons by those who have already done this.
I am planning to export 2011 Dodge Challenger.

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
Is it worth exporting vehicle from the NJ to Toronto or better to sell one here and buy there? Would love to know pros and cons by those who have already done this.
I am planning to export 2011 Dodge Challenger.
With the settler exemption on taxes for personal effects, including your personal vehicle(s), it's generally less costly in terms of both time and money to import a car than to purchase the equivalent vehicle in Canada, unless you were planning on getting a new vehicle in the near future anyway.

Realistically, a lot of the decision depends on things like how attached you are to the car, whether you anticipate actually needing it (for example, you might plan on using public transportation), and the condition of the car itself. Keeping a car in Toronto can be fairly expensive in terms of insurance and parking, and traffic can be very bad at times. Understandably, though, cars can be very helpful for transporting large items or traveling outside of the city.

For cars without major issues that you plan on using for at least a few more years, importing is a much more favorable option. Note that one of the conditions of importing the vehicle tax-free is that you cannot sell it within a year of importing it to Canada. Consider also that you will initially have no credit in Canada, so financing a vehicle may be more difficult and more expensive (though it can be done).

Personally, I imported my 2014 Prius because I am fairly attached to it and plan on driving it for at least 5 more years (car gods willing). It's a good car and I need a vehicle where we've settled since there is no public transportation out here.

adi1031

Feb 12, 2020
I forgot to add my VIN to the goods to follow list primarily because I wrote the cars at the last moment because we were not considering bringing them.
I have the titles and bill of sales. I'm hoping this is enough to prove that we had it before the goods to follow but would surely take advice from folks in this forum.

chikoo1985

May 20, 2017
I forgot to add my VIN to the goods to follow list primarily because I wrote the cars at the last moment because we were not considering bringing them.
I have the titles and bill of sales. I'm hoping this is enough to prove that we had it before the goods to follow but would surely take advice from folks in this forum.
Suggest you to call the RIV and confirm. Moslty, whatever items are included in the GTF list are only items eligible for duty free import. I did ask this during short landing and that what they answered.

rktocanada

Mar 12, 2020
Thank you all for the helpful posts and especially thanks to @KBH for starting this thread.

I'll be landing in Canada soon as a PR holder. I am in a dilemma about whether to import my vehicle to Canada or sell it out in the States. Could you guys please help me with the following.
  • I have a Merc CLA 250 2016 model with decent miles on it. If I decide to sell, because of deprecation in value, I think I'll only get 50% of the buying price. The vehicle is in good condition and can be used for 4-5 years more.
  • I am concerned that as it is not manufactured in the US, I'll have to pay hefty fees when importing. Does anyone know, how much approximately will I have to pay in total to get the vehicle exported?
  • My immigration status in the States has expired since Dec 2019, but I have a B1/B2 (tourist) visa. On that status, can I export the vehicle out of the States?
  • Considering all this, what is the best choice - exporting or selling the vehicle in the States?
I will really appreciate any assistance.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I exported /imported to Canada in September 2018 my spouse's (PR) 2014 GLK250 diesel produced in Bremen for USA and imported from Germany with Overseas Delivery Program. She likes the car and we intend to keep her as long as we can. So, the German car made for USA - this is USA vehicle. The vehicle was included in the Goods To Follow List and was imported to Canada without any duties...

I went trough RIV program , did change daytime running lights ($300) and inspection ($180) at the local Windsor MEB dealer.

We use the vehicle since. Could be the issue with Mercedes support, since in Canada ( Canadian plated/insured) the Mercedes still consider the vehicle as US vehicle and the latest re-call I had to do in Detroit, in US Mercedes dealership.

If you cannot go to US to do export - somebody else can do it - I did it for my spouse's vehicle (her car) with my passport only. Nobody asked where is the owner, just stamped the Title and I proceed over the border to import.

At the end you can run your numbers - currently with US/Canada exchange rate ~1.45 you probably can buy car in Canada using US funds cheaper than in US even with 13% sale tax in Ontario and 6% or 7% in US.

BUT for your 2016 CLA 250 I would keep the car (if you like her), rather than spend $40K on another one. I do not know your circumstances, but it also could be a problem with credit in Canada for new PR.

rktocanada

Mar 12, 2020
I exported /imported to Canada in September 2018 my spouse's (PR) 2014 GLK250 diesel produced in Bremen for USA and imported from Germany with Overseas Delivery Program. She likes the car and we intend to keep her as long as we can. So, the German car made for USA - this is USA vehicle. The vehicle was included in the Goods To Follow List and was imported to Canada without any duties...

I went trough RIV program , did change daytime running lights ($300) and inspection ($180) at the local Windsor MEB dealer.

We use the vehicle since. Could be the issue with Mercedes support, since in Canada ( Canadian plated/insured) the Mercedes still consider the vehicle as US vehicle and the latest re-call I had to do in Detroit, in US Mercedes dealership.

If you cannot go to US to do export - somebody else can do it - I did it for my spouse's vehicle (her car) with my passport only. Nobody asked where is the owner, just stamped the Title and I proceed over the border to import.

At the end you can run your numbers - currently with US/Canada exchange rate ~1.45 you probably can buy car in Canada using US funds cheaper than in US even with 13% sale tax in Ontario and 6% or 7% in US.

BUT for your 2016 CLA 250 I would keep the car (if you like her), rather than spend $40K on another one. I do not know your circumstances, but it also could be a problem with credit in Canada for new PR.
Thank you @Alex54321 for your detailed response. So, we don't have to pay any tax/duty on the imported vehicle if it's made for the US? I thought a 6% duty on the original invoice amount is payable.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Thank you @Alex54321 for your detailed response. So, we don't have to pay any tax/duty on the imported vehicle if it's made for the US? I thought a 6% duty on the original invoice amount is payable.
I think that if the vehicle was plated/insured in US, properly exported, was listed on the List of Goods ( or List of Goods to Follow) - during import you will not pay any duties ( and you are new PR). That's the whole idea of List of Goods.

lycbread

Mar 29, 2020
guys, my 2013 Nissan Versa is a gift from my friend so there is no Bill of sale when we transferred the title and did the paperwork at DMV years ago. How and where can I prepare something like Bill of sale? Thank you!

SAM09072019

Sep 7, 2019
Hello,

I have the Audi q7 2018 model with another 5 years of the loan. I have got the letter from Loan provider " ok to export to Canada". I don't have the original title of the car. I learned that you can't get the original title until you pay the whole loan. Did anyone have experience with this situation? How can I get it the exported without the title or how to get title in US with the loan

jaydoshi3292

Aug 2, 2018
guys, my 2013 Nissan Versa is a gift from my friend so there is no Bill of sale when we transferred the title and did the paperwork at DMV years ago. How and where can I prepare something like Bill of sale? Thank you!
As far as I know, you dont need bill of sale. Just the title, us export form and riv papers

jaydoshi3292

Aug 2, 2018
Hello,

I have the Audi q7 2018 model with another 5 years of the loan. I have got the letter from Loan provider " ok to export to Canada". I don't have the original title of the car. I learned that you can't get the original title until you pay the whole loan. Did anyone have experience with this situation? How can I get it the exported without the title or how to get title in US with the loan
You will not get the title till you pay the loan. Letter should be enough to confirm that you can take the car with you. I did not have any loan left so I cannot provide much help on that front

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hello,

Maybe you can try to get a certified copy of the Title from the DMV?