+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting a Vehicle from the U.S. and Importing into Canada: Complete Step-by-Step Guide

saddlepatch

Star Member
Oct 1, 2012
Sun City Center, Florida
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
19-11-2018
Doc's Request.
02-26-2019
AOR Received.
21-01-2019
Med's Request
05-02-2019
Med's Done....
08-02-2019
Passport Req..
22-03-2019
Question

Can we apply for the ITN number prior to the car being paid off? It's going to be paid off next week.

Also does anyone know if either boarding crossing in Detroit (Bridge or Tunnel) accepts Car importing?

Also will it cause issues if the car is in both our names? (I'm a Canadian returning after 4 years in the US, they're the PR)

Finally, I'm confused about the goods to follow list? Is that something we need to fill out or is that only if we have things coming up after we land?

Thanks!

madscientist11

Star Member
Feb 15, 2019
Question

Can we apply for the ITN number prior to the car being paid off? It's going to be paid off next week.

Also does anyone know if either boarding crossing in Detroit (Bridge or Tunnel) accepts Car importing?

Also will it cause issues if the car is in both our names? (I'm a Canadian returning after 4 years in the US, they're the PR)

Finally, I'm confused about the goods to follow list? Is that something we need to fill out or is that only if we have things coming up after we land?

Thanks!
1. I believe you can still apply for ITN even if car are not fully paid off. However the vehicle export office will require you to have a letter from dealership authorizing you exporting the vehicle.
2. Detroit bridge will allow you to export the car, email detroitvehicleexport@cbp.dhs.gov to and they will give you instruction (72 hours rule, ITN etc)
3. I don't think so but you can ask in your email for any additional requirements
4. Goods to carry and good to follow list can be an spreadsheet that you prepared before landing, includes your items and their value so that you can brings to Canada this time or in the future.
The vehicle registrar is a good resource and they can provide a checklist for importing process. http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx

Reactions: ravi1441

Roger3146

Aug 27, 2019
Pennsylvania
Does anyone have experience with importing a recent-model Toyota Highlander? Mine is a 2016. Although there's an Auto position for the headlights, I guess it's not really DRL and that will have to be "fixed". But what about the speedometer??? The speedometer shows kph as well as mph, but the kph is in blue print that isn't very easy to see during the daytime, even if the lights are on. Will this be okay, or will I have a problem with the RIV inspection on this item?
Thanks.

madscientist11

Star Member
Feb 15, 2019
Does anyone have experience with importing a recent-model Toyota Highlander? Mine is a 2016. Although there's an Auto position for the headlights, I guess it's not really DRL and that will have to be "fixed". But what about the speedometer??? The speedometer shows kph as well as mph, but the kph is in blue print that isn't very easy to see during the daytime, even if the lights are on. Will this be okay, or will I have a problem with the RIV inspection on this item?
Thanks.
I have a 2011 Toyota Venza with similar configuration. I got it inspected last week, the DRL will have to be fixed, but the speedometer is ok with both mph and kph. I do agree the smaller kph is quite hard to see though.

Roger3146

Aug 27, 2019
Pennsylvania
I have a 2011 Toyota Venza with similar configuration. I got it inspected last week, the DRL will have to be fixed, but the speedometer is ok with both mph and kph. I do agree the smaller kph is quite hard to see though.
Thanks, this is very helpful and reassuring. I should have also asked, Will Canadian Tire fix the DRL problem? I’ve asked Toyota Canada about the import issues - they aren’t very helpful and it appears that they will not do any modifications.

saddlepatch

Star Member
Oct 1, 2012
Sun City Center, Florida
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
19-11-2018
Doc's Request.
02-26-2019
AOR Received.
21-01-2019
Med's Request
05-02-2019
Med's Done....
08-02-2019
Passport Req..
22-03-2019
Another silly question. How far out can you file for an ITN Number? Can it be more than 72 hours? (In this case if I applied today but I'm not importing the car till September 22nd, would that be fine as long as I send the ITN to Customs 72 hours before I plan to export?

zabrodov

Sep 19, 2018
Gatineau
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-11-2018
AOR Received.
11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
Hey guys!

I am planning on exporting my car on September 2nd. I will be going through Derby Line border crossing (VT - QC). I got my ITN number, called the border crossing but they told me not to email or fax them anything. They said that the ITN will be in the system and they don't need any correspondence for me.

There is a lot of information about emailing a border crossing point 72 hours before the exporting procedure and yet I am being asked to not email anything.

Is it normal? I don't even have their email

adigautam

Jan 3, 2016
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-12-2015
Doc's Request.
28-03-2017
Nomination.....
08-05-2017
AOR Received.
15-02-2017
IELTS Request
Awaiting
File Transfer...
Awaiting
Med's Request
Awaiting
Med's Done....
Awaiting
Interview........
Awaiting
Passport Req..
Awaiting
VISA ISSUED...
Awaiting
LANDED..........
Awaiting
Hi All,

I exported my car from Ambassador Bridge last night, but to my surprise, I was asked to pay the Air Conditioning tax at the Canada border by the CBSA. I tried to tell them as a new PR, I do not need to pay any duty and/or tax but they said everyone needs to pay the air conditioning tax.

Did anyone else pay the air conditioning tax as a new PR for their car import?

Regards,
Aditya

saddlepatch

Star Member
Oct 1, 2012
Sun City Center, Florida
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
19-11-2018
Doc's Request.
02-26-2019
AOR Received.
21-01-2019
Med's Request
05-02-2019
Med's Done....
08-02-2019
Passport Req..
22-03-2019
Hey guys!

I am planning on exporting my car on September 2nd. I will be going through Derby Line border crossing (VT - QC). I got my ITN number, called the border crossing but they told me not to email or fax them anything. They said that the ITN will be in the system and they don't need any correspondence for me.

There is a lot of information about emailing a border crossing point 72 hours before the exporting procedure and yet I am being asked to not email anything.

Is it normal? I don't even have their email
Can you cross elsewhere? If so, try them first.

IF not I would do it either way. Just email them. It's not going to hurt anyone. That way you don't have issues either way.

zabrodov

Sep 19, 2018
Gatineau
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11-11-2018
AOR Received.
11-11-2018
File Transfer...
24-01-2019
Passport Req..
02-08-2019
LANDED..........
02-09-2019
Can you cross elsewhere? If so, try them first.

IF not I would do it either way. Just email them. It's not going to hurt anyone. That way you don't have issues either way.
They don’t disclose their email address(

rikoa

Feb 29, 2016
I just landed in Ontario at the thousand Island crossing in NY. I did not have to pay the air conditioning tax, nor did they inspect my vehicle there. They did not say that the daytime running lights would be an issue... But I have a 2014 Ford escape se 4wd that has the same headlight options as my husband's Canadian purchased f150.. on, off and auto. My mother in law told me that I just have to make sure my lights are ALWAYS ON when I'm driving the vehicle. The border also did not tell me that I would be getting anything in the mail and said I was good to register it after getting insurance. Do they not do this letter anymore? I paid my riv online so I did not even have to do that at the border or after.

rikoa

Feb 29, 2016
Also I used the website recommended by the export process website, https://autoexports.us/ and they actually provided the email address to the crossing I had chosen after I had submitted all the info and they got my itn for me. It was really easy

rikoa

Feb 29, 2016
Lastly, in order to export my car since I have a loan on it... I went to my bank and explained that I was moving to Canada. Told them I needed a letter granting me and my husband (it's a joint loan) permission to take it to Canada and register it there, and a certified copy of the title. They did this for me no problem. However I lived in Vermont and since I was only an hour or so from Quebec they see that type of thing all the time. I've heard that most other banks aren't so understanding.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I just landed in Ontario at the thousand Island crossing in NY. I did not have to pay the air conditioning tax, nor did they inspect my vehicle there. They did not say that the daytime running lights would be an issue... But I have a 2014 Ford escape se 4wd that has the same headlight options as my husband's Canadian purchased f150.. on, off and auto. My mother in law told me that I just have to make sure my lights are ALWAYS ON when I'm driving the vehicle. The border also did not tell me that I would be getting anything in the mail and said I was good to register it after getting insurance. Do they not do this letter anymore? I paid my riv online so I did not even have to do that at the border or after.
This is the issue for Canada that you are able to turn 0n/Off daytime running lights. I had this on my Mercedes and by the order of RIV inspection had to go to the dealership and re-program the vehicle.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Lastly, in order to export my car since I have a loan on it... I went to my bank and explained that I was moving to Canada. Told them I needed a letter granting me and my husband (it's a joint loan) permission to take it to Canada and register it there, and a certified copy of the title. They did this for me no problem. However I lived in Vermont and since I was only an hour or so from Quebec they see that type of thing all the time. I've heard that most other banks aren't so understanding.
So, you are exported/imported the vehicle. Great. As far as registering the vehicle I would check with Service Canada about registering the vehicle with US loan. I am not sure how it works since you are supposed to surrender your US title.