+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting a Vehicle from the U.S. and Importing into Canada: Complete Step-by-Step Guide

blal

Star Member
Jul 11, 2018
Hello,

I plan on driving my car from US to Canada. I got an AES ITN number from a brokker. I sent my VIN, ITN and planned date of border crossing date to US CBP email address of the port I will be crossing. I got am immediate and automatic reply as below. It has already been 72 hours and I did not receive anything else. Do they confirmation immediately after 72 hours?

Email content:

There is a new process (explained below) for exporting self-propelled vehicles from the United States.

Effective October 3, 2014 the U.S. Census Bureau (Census) mandated the filing of Electronic Export Information (EEI) through ACE(Automated Commercial Environment) and in order to file/receive an ITN number, exporters will need to set up an exporter account in the ACE Portal via https://ace.cbp.dhs.gov/acexpub/acexpub_Apps/ExporterAccountApplication/expForm.php.

These regulations apply to all used-self-propelled vehicles.

Internal Transaction Number (ITN) is required to be completed and submitted for all mandatory AES filings 72 hours prior to export. Ownership documentation (Title) for used self-propelled vehicles must be submitted to Customs at least 72 hours prior to export (DETROITVEHICLEEXPORT@CBP.DHS.GOV).

Required Items:

ITN number received through ACE

Email sent to CBP with VIN number and ITN number 72 hours in advance

If you have any questions please see the references below or call 313-964-7191

References:

Federal Register Notice 78 Federal Regulations 16366

Title 15 Code of Federal Regulations Part 30.2(a)(1)(iv)(H)

Title 15 Code of Federal Regulations Part 30.4(b)(5))

Title 19 Code of Federal Regulations Part 192.2(c)(2)(i)

abhimandala2

Aug 11, 2017
Hello,

I plan on driving my car from US to Canada. I got an AES ITN number from a brokker. I sent my VIN, ITN and planned date of border crossing date to US CBP email address of the port I will be crossing. I got am immediate and automatic reply as below. It has already been 72 hours and I did not receive anything else. Do they confirmation immediately after 72 hours?

Email content:

There is a new process (explained below) for exporting self-propelled vehicles from the United States.

Effective October 3, 2014 the U.S. Census Bureau (Census) mandated the filing of Electronic Export Information (EEI) through ACE(Automated Commercial Environment) and in order to file/receive an ITN number, exporters will need to set up an exporter account in the ACE Portal via https://ace.cbp.dhs.gov/acexpub/acexpub_Apps/ExporterAccountApplication/expForm.php.

Internal Transaction Number (ITN) is required to be completed and submitted for all mandatory AES filings 72 hours prior to export. Ownership documentation (Title) for used self-propelled vehicles must be submitted to Customs at least 72 hours prior to export (DETROITVEHICLEEXPORT@CBP.DHS.GOV).

Required Items:

References:

Hello,

Email content:

Required Items:

References:

=================================================================================================

I Blal, i am planning to do the same in the coming 2 weeks is there i can contact you so we can share information.

Singhgem

Jul 31, 2018
Agree with how import note 1 is. It can be confusing to find the office to get export paperwork done. I was asked for bill of sale, which I did not have. However, I had declared my car in my goods to follow and once I showed that to the officer I was good to go on the import process
Is Anyone having the exact address of port of entry which is good enough on Google maps and we can go directly to the export office without any confusion for Michigan (Ambassador Bridge)? As everyone is mentioning the confusion part, Just want to avoid it.

dsinghd

Star Member
Dec 13, 2018
Is Anyone having the exact address of port of entry which is good enough on Google maps and we can go directly to the export office without any confusion for Michigan (Ambassador Bridge)? As everyone is mentioning the confusion part, Just want to avoid it.
So i exported my car through the Ambassador Bridge on a Saturday afternoon.
I found the following post very helpful and accurate in locating the CBP office.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/42°19'11.8"N+83°04'49.4"W/@42.3199589,-83.082569,759m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d42.3199549!4d-83.080375

This route should pass via this cbp office. Take 47B exit to Canada and merge on to another ramp coming in your way in 20+ meters. In 50+ meters take left before you enter Amexshop (/ the amex toll). There wont be anyone in there. So go slowly and the door should open slowly or someone might be there sometimes.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Oakland+Mall,+412+W+14+Mile+Rd,+Troy,+MI+48083/University+of+Windsor,+401+Sunset+Ave,+Windsor,+ON+N9B+3P4,+Canada/@42.32036,-83.0821206,15.43z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x8824c51b4dbcd71f:0x5c17b45fc1c7e7e7!2m2!1d-83.110853!2d42.53711!1m5!1m1!1s0x883b2d77c6ec4bef:0x1a44f1192a4e41ee!2m2!1d-83.066039!2d42.3043142!3e0

Once you obtain the Export stamp on Car Title, exit through the adjacent gate "Return to Canada". This gate opens every 15 minutes so we had to wait a while before a CBP officer comes and opens the gate.

Reactions: sguru01

dsinghd

Star Member
Dec 13, 2018
I did goods to follow and imported about 1.5 months after landing. But I imported everything else at the time of landing. So they processed it and gave me a sheet that looks like this and had the value of all my stuff on it. It was stapled to the front of my goods forms http://i.imgur.com/RMSDUcf.jpg

If you did not get one, make sure they give you one when you import the car because that is what you will need to show when you register the car in Ontario to prove you do not owe any tax
Hi We did soft landing last month and got BSF186 stamped with all our stuff on it along with cars. When officer gave us blue and white sheet(zero dollar tax paid receipt) , he did not include cars on this. I don't know if he overlooked or what happened. However, we mentioned cars under conveyances section of BSF186 form and we have it stamped. Is this going to be a problem when I import my car?
If anyone can respond that would be great. thanks

burm7793

Jun 2, 2018
Hello Folks,
I have few questions :
My car is Mfd. by Toyota motor manufacturing, Canada, Inc. 02/2012. I purchased it here in California, USA in 2015. In the RIV form they ask for country of origin, Will answer be USA or Canada ? does this anyway affect the landing process from Port Huron to Canada being manufactured in Canada ?
Can i pay complete RIV form and pay fees immediately, I am landing on June 9th or 10th. I have my ITN generated already.
Also will port Huron open on weekends 06/08 & 06/09 for export purpose. Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.

Singhgem

Jul 31, 2018
Hello Folks,
I have few questions :
My car is Mfd. by Toyota motor manufacturing, Canada, Inc. 02/2012. I purchased it here in California, USA in 2015. In the RIV form they ask for country of origin, Will answer be USA or Canada ? does this anyway affect the landing process from Port Huron to Canada being manufactured in Canada ?
Can i pay complete RIV form and pay fees immediately, I am landing on June 9th or 10th. I have my ITN generated already.
Also will port Huron open on weekends 06/08 & 06/09 for export purpose. Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.
@burm7793 Even I have the same Toyota model and manufactured in Canada and purchased in USA. I am planning to move in June. Following your post and please post your findings here too if you get it by chance from other threads.

ankusaxe9

Jan 8, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Quick question - I have 2015 Honda CRV car which I purchased 2 month back (fully paid). I am planning to move Canada in July (Car in my possession for 4 months). Will it be an issue? I heard that card should be more than 6 months in possession before import. Any pointers?

MUNRRA

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
I have a CAR sitting in Los Angeles, CA, I am currently in the process of getting my PR (InLand sponsorship process), I am planning to import this vehicle, however when should I do this import? after getting OWP? or after getting landing letter? or after having PR with me? Any idea will be appreciate it.

BiaDias

May 29, 2019
Any specifications for old cars? I have a Honda Accura NSX 1991.
I own the car since 2015, so I don't have the bill of sale anymore.

anujm2000

Jan 15, 2017
Hi We did soft landing last month and got BSF186 stamped with all our stuff on it along with cars. When officer gave us blue and white sheet(zero dollar tax paid receipt) , he did not include cars on this. I don't know if he overlooked or what happened. However, we mentioned cars under conveyances section of BSF186 form and we have it stamped. Is this going to be a problem when I import my car?
If anyone can respond that would be great. thanks
Should not be a problem. I registered my Vehicle yesterday at ServiceOntario and they did not ask for the blue zero dollar receipt.

anujm2000

Jan 15, 2017
Hello Folks,
I have few questions :
Same here. In the RIV form, country of origion should be US. Country where car was manufactured does not matter. The RIV process and landing process will apply as-is. The positive part is you saved yourself 100-odd bucks since you already have Daytime Running Lights, a requirement during safety inspection.
You can pay and fill up RIV form online. That saves a lot of time at the Canadian immigration office. Just let the officer know you have filled in the paperwork so they don't start all over.

jaydoshi3292

Aug 2, 2018
I have a CAR sitting in Los Angeles, CA, I am currently in the process of getting my PR (InLand sponsorship process), I am planning to import this vehicle, however when should I do this import? after getting OWP? or after getting landing letter? or after having PR with me? Any idea will be appreciate it.
Does not matter when you do it. If you do a soft landing, make sure that car is mentioned on B4 with VIN number. There is a specific section on B4 for that. There is no time limit on importing your car after that. You can do it after a few years if you want as long as you save your original B4

dsinghd

Star Member
Dec 13, 2018
Hi. I have a question. Do I have to taxes while importing if my car's worth is more than 10,000 dollars?

Min01

Aug 22, 2018
Is it possible to put a family member on the title and he imports the vehicle from USA to Canada ?