+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Export car from USA with expired registration by 5 day

Discussion in 'Settlement Issues' started by Peterpan.tintin, May 2, 2019.

  1. My car registration is expiring on May 9th before my intent to move to Canada on May 14th
    Can I export my Car from USA side with expired registration? I heard, they check title but not registration.
    After that I would import car in Canada immediately, will do inspection and registration in canada on same day.
    I am fine taking risk of driving car with expired registration until car get registered in Canada. But my main question here is - Can I do export with expired registration?
    mchris007 likes this.
  2. Can someone please help on this one?
  3. This is fairly unique situation, I doubt someone experience this before.
    My guess is you probably can export it, since they don't need state registration during the export process like you said. But they might not let you drive after crossing, and will have to tow it to inspection station. These are just my theory, call the border crossing to verify.
    Can you renew your registration with your state before moving, you will have to pay the renewal fees but it is better than taking the risk. Also some states has registration expired at the end of the month, rather than the specific date from when you last registered it. May be you can double check with your local office.
  4. Hi, Can you provide a follow up on what happened with your car when exporting from the US and importing to Canada? I'm in a similar situation and would love some advice.


Share This Page