+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Export car from USA with expired registration by 5 day

Peterpan.tintin

Sep 24, 2018
My car registration is expiring on May 9th before my intent to move to Canada on May 14th
Can I export my Car from USA side with expired registration? I heard, they check title but not registration.
After that I would import car in Canada immediately, will do inspection and registration in canada on same day.
I am fine taking risk of driving car with expired registration until car get registered in Canada. But my main question here is - Can I do export with expired registration?

madscientist11

Star Member
Feb 15, 2019
This is fairly unique situation, I doubt someone experience this before.
My guess is you probably can export it, since they don't need state registration during the export process like you said. But they might not let you drive after crossing, and will have to tow it to inspection station. These are just my theory, call the border crossing to verify.
Can you renew your registration with your state before moving, you will have to pay the renewal fees but it is better than taking the risk. Also some states has registration expired at the end of the month, rather than the specific date from when you last registered it. May be you can double check with your local office.

mchris007

Oct 2, 2019
Hi, Can you provide a follow up on what happened with your car when exporting from the US and importing to Canada? I'm in a similar situation and would love some advice.

Thanks!

nbsara

May 26, 2020
My car registration is expiring on May 9th before my intent to move to Canada on May 14th
Can I export my Car from USA side with expired registration? I heard, they check title but not registration.
After that I would import car in Canada immediately, will do inspection and registration in canada on same day.
I am fine taking risk of driving car with expired registration until car get registered in Canada. But my main question here is - Can I do export with expired registration?
Hi Can you please help ? I am in a similar situation. Due to covid 19 NC state has extent the registrations by 5 months. So I do not need to renew registration. I plan on exporting my car from USA to Canada in a weeks time from when sticker on my plate will expire. Will it cause issue on USA or Canada borders? Please share your experience..

smkr7002

Aug 25, 2020
Hi Can you please help ? I am in a similar situation. Due to covid 19 NC state has extent the registrations by 5 months. So I do not need to renew registration. I plan on exporting my car from USA to Canada in a weeks time from when sticker on my plate will expire. Will it cause issue on USA or Canada borders? Please share your experience..

Hey guys, same here - due to Covid registration has been automatically extended though the sticker reads past date. What happened when you crossed the border, were you able to export?

smkr7002

Aug 25, 2020
Hi, Can you provide a follow up on what happened with your car when exporting from the US and importing to Canada? I'm in a similar situation and would love some advice.

Thanks!
Any update? Curious to hear if we can cross with Covid-extended registration,

wushdishmeen

Jun 7, 2019
I have an even crazier scenario. Drove into Canada years ago and overstayed. My license, registration, and insurance all expired because I was stuck here. I just got permanent residence the other day, so now I have to figure out how I'm going to get the recalls on my car fixed in Canada with an American car (not sure recalls are global), then figure out how to get the car imported. I'm thinking I might have to either take the chance driving it through border to Vermont 90 minutes away to get all the recalls fixed, then drive back to the border and import it, and then register it and get it inspected in Canada the same day.

The other thing is I bought the car new in 2013 and I'm wondering if they will charge import taxes based on the actual price I paid or the current value. Can you bring a blue book value to prove the car's worth is much lower than at the original sale?

mdonatelli

Jan 22, 2021
How did this turn out for you? I'm in a similar situation.

mdonatelli

Jan 22, 2021
The Canadian border WILL need to physically inspect the car.

I also recommend getting the car exported from the US, as I’m not sure if Canada will accept an unexported title or not. This process takes multiple days, as your car needs to be in the US 72hours prior to export, and you’ll need to work with an export company.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Definitely export from the US as you can't really legally drive it in the US after it's been imported to Canada unless it was properly exported from the US.