+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

expired PR

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
clubcanada said:
You kind of imply to hide from CIC until you qualify for renewal. Let's assume for whatever reason, CIC finds out before. Can they revoke your PR status?
You don't really have to hide from CIC because they are not looking for you. They could ask and find out when you enter Canada or when you apply to renew your PR card or it is possible that they find out if you happen to apply for something else. There was a woman here for example who applied to sponsor her husband and child while she herself didn't meet the residency requirements. They called her for an interview but I don't think she has come back to post how it went.

Of course, this way of keeping your PR is a loophole and people should absolutely not count on that it will work but for many it has.

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
Of course, this way of keeping your PR is a loophole and people should absolutely not count on that it will work but for many it has.
that's basically my point. This is pretty much moving into a very dark grey area.
anyway, so let's get back to the initial question of what to do as a student. the issue here is that if signing up as a domestic student, your tuition is much less (couple thousand $). I'd assume that as an international student (or let's say someone without canadian citizenship) needs to show proof of their legal status when enrolling each semester.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
clubcanada said:
that's basically my point. This is pretty much moving into a very dark grey area.
anyway, so let's get back to the initial question of what to do as a student. the issue here is that if signing up as a domestic student, your tuition is much less (couple thousand $). I'd assume that as an international student (or let's say someone without canadian citizenship) needs to show proof of their legal status when enrolling each semester.
I don't know the details of that. I have just seen a student write that it was a hassle not to have a valid PR card but I don't know if it was for the tuition or because he was getting financial aid. However, he did say there was a way around it. I don't really know the details.

Generally it is assumed that a PR in Canada is a PR. A PR card is normally not needed to prove your status within Canada and it is not mandatory to have one. If you had gotten your PR early in 2002 or before that, you would not have gotten a PR card unless you had applied for one. If you had never travelled and never seen the reason to apply for one, then you would not have one. There may be some people in Canada who are in that situation.

Unlike foreign workers and international students who get a SIN number that starts with 9 and needs to be extended every time their visa expires, PR's get permanent SIN numbers same as citizens so for a PR who doesn't meet the requirements, there is no problem working for example.

As I have linked to before, you see that immigration allows a PR who got into Canada and stayed for 2 years to renew their PR card even though they had failed to meet the residency requirements before that so if they allow it, I don't think you can see it as a dark grey area. If they wanted it different, it would be easy to give PR's temporary SIN numbers too that they'd have to renew every 5 year PR card period and it would be easy to change the rules so that the PR status would be tied to the PR card, that all PR's would be required to have one, also within Canada and that if you did not renew it, you would seize to be a PR but those are not the rules.