+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

expired PR

arinas

May 22, 2012
Dear All,
If our PR expired while we are in Canada, and I don’t want to renew them now because we didn’t meet the time obligation yet, do we need a valid PR to apply to university for my son or to renew the health cards and driving license?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have heard that students get asked for their PR cards, maybe it is only for student loans though. I have heard that you can get by without one but it is a hassle.

As for everything else, you might get asked but if you say you have already applied for a new one and it is just taking very long, they will probably accept seeing your expired card and/or landing papers.

arinas

May 22, 2012
when we will apply to the university and send the first application in march 2013 , my son will be having a valid PR , but it will be expired in july 2013 and we are not going to renew it
so if he doesn't have a valid PR on the admission to the college, are they going to consider him as not having PR regarding university fees ?
any help will be appreciated !

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
when we will apply to the university and send the first application in march 2013 , my son will be having a valid PR , but it will be expired in july 2013 and we are not going to renew it
so if he doesn't have a valid PR on the admission to the college, are they going to consider him as not having PR regarding university fees ?
if he's no valid PR status on what visa will he be attending the uni?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
clubcanada said:
if he's no valid PR status on what visa will he be attending the uni?
He has valid PR status but his PR card is expired and he doesn't meet the residency requirements so he can't renew yet. He does not need a visa to attend uni.

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
@Leon:
the poster wrote that the card will expire in 07-2013 and will NOT being renewed. This reads that there is no valid residence status throughout the study after expiration. Without a valid visa (PR is a visa) you're not allowed to study nor to stay in the country anyway. That's at least my understanding...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
clubcanada said:
@ Leon:
the poster wrote that the card will expire in 07-2013 and will NOT being renewed. This reads that there is no valid residence status throughout the study after expiration. Without a valid visa (PR is a visa) you're not allowed to study nor to stay in the country anyway. That's at least my understanding...
The PR visa is the visa you get in your passport that allows you to land in Canada as a PR. After landing, you have PR status. Once you have PR status, you keep it until either you renounce it or immigration revokes it.

Since immigration does not plant GPS chips in each PR, they do not always immediately know if a person does or does not meet the residency requirements when they show up on entry. Therefore, if the person gets into Canada with their still valid PR card without being stopped on entry and reported for not meeting the requirements, they remain a PR. Their PR card may expire but there is no law that states that you must have a valid PR card if you live in Canada.

Therefore, a person in that situation can stay for 2 years at which point they meet the requirements again and then apply to renew their PR card. Immigration rules only allow immigration to look at the 5 year period immediately before you applied for the PR card so if they missed somebody on entry to Canada who did not meet the residency requirements and 2 years later get an application from that person to renew their PR card and they have stayed in Canada for those two years, immigration must renew the card. They can not again look at the 5 year period before that person entered Canada the last time, they must look at the 5 years immediately before they applied to renew.

You can read this here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf - page 7 said:
Even if a person had resided away from Canada for many years, but returned to Canada and resided there for a minimum of 730 days during the last five years, that person would comply with the residency obligation and remain a permanent resident. An officer is not permitted to consider just any five-year period in the applicant’s past, but must always assess the most recent five-year period preceding the receipt of the application.

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
Therefore, a person in that situation can stay for 2 years at which point they meet the requirements again and then apply to renew their PR card.
what's your status when your PR card has expired and you do not meet the 730 days criteria for renewal?

manianz47

Sep 15, 2008
Hi

Please go through the replies posted by Leon in multiple threads..
Once you are in Canada, even if your PR Card has expired (or about to expire but you will not meet the 730 Days requirement), wait till you complete your 730 Days requirement and then apply for the PR Card renewal.

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
Please go through the replies posted by Leon in multiple threads..
Once you are in Canada, even if your PR Card has expired (or about to expire but you will not meet the 730 Days requirement), wait till you complete your 730 Days requirement and then apply for the PR Card renewal.
It's not so much about whether you can renew your PR card it's about whether a student would be eligible for domestic tuition fees. So the question is, what status do you have when your PR card has expired and you do not meet the criteria for renewal? Another question is what's your overall status? If CIC finds out, can you get deported?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
clubcanada said:
what's your status when your PR card has expired and you do not meet the 730 days criteria for renewal?
Let me quote from my previous reply:

Leon said:
Once you have PR status, you keep it until either you renounce it or immigration revokes it.
You do not automatically stop being a PR if you do not meet the residency requirements. If you are in Canada or get into Canada without being reported, you just stay for 2 years and then apply to renew your PR card. If you apply to renew too early, they will become aware that you did not meet the residency requirements and may revoke your PR status.

clubcanada

Sep 7, 2010
You kind of imply to hide from CIC until you qualify for renewal. Let's assume for whatever reason, CIC finds out before. Can they revoke your PR status?