+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

expired pr card, plan to go to Vancouver via Seattle

npjc

May 8, 2023
Hi friends, my pr card is expired and I need to go back to Canada. I did homework on this forum and understand that I could try at a US/Canada border PoE. I plan to fly to Seattle then cross the border. My question is , would it be any issue when I show my expired PR card at the seattle airport to custom staff? thanks a lot in advance!

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
They will ask where did you go and how long have you been leaving...and you could face a RO check, especially if your card expiry date is not close.
You'd better do a schedule to show your RO compliance in case.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They will ask where did you go and how long have you been leaving...and you could face a RO check, especially if your card expiry date is not close.
No, they (TSA or US CBP) probably would not ask those questions. Instead, they would probably ask your address in the US and how long your visit in the US. If you don't have an US address, then just tell them your plans of going to the POE / land border with your expired PR card to Canada.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CBP could care less about a Canadian PR Card, expired or not, because it means nothing to them.
It does matter to CBSA that a PR has a PR Card, even if it is expired.

Reactions: YVR123

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
Hi friends, my pr card is expired and I need to go back to Canada. I did homework on this forum and understand that I could try at a US/Canada border PoE. I plan to fly to Seattle then cross the border. My question is , would it be any issue when I show my expired PR card at the seattle airport to custom staff? thanks a lot in advance!
Will you be travelling to the States under the visa waiver program, or do you have a visa?

Note that the visa waiver program normally requires you to have a return ticket or an onward flight that does not terminate in Canada or Mexico.

However:
"Citizens of VWP countries* who reside in Mexico, Canada, or a nearby island are generally exempted from the requirement to show onward travel to another country* when entering the United States."
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visa-waiver-program.html

So, in your case, you will have the issue of proving to US customs that you are a PR of Canada because you do not have a valid PR card. And if you don't have another way of showing that you will leave the US within 90 days, you may face difficulties.

In practice, you may never be asked, and it's up to you if that's a risk you want to take. But it would probably still be best to book a return flight or an onward ticket that does not terminate in Canada or Mexico.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So, in your case, you will have the issue of proving to US customs that you are a PR of Canada because you do not have a valid PR card. And if you don't have another way of showing that you will leave the US within 90 days, you may face difficulties.
You would think that CBP understands that a PR with an expired PR Card, unless having had their status revoked or renounced, is still a PR of Canada.

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
You would think that CBP understands that a PR with an expired PR Card, unless having had their status revoked or renounced, is still a PR of Canada.
I'm not sure what assumptions individual agents would make if presented with an expired PR card, and if they would accept it. Personally, I would not rely on it as my only form of proof that I will be leaving the country within 90 days.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm not sure what assumptions individual agents would make if presented with an expired PR card, and if they would accept it. Personally, I would not rely on it as my only form of proof that I will be leaving the country within 90 days.
An expired PR card is usually sufficient evidence (at least to CBSA) that the card holder was a PR...and unless the status is shown to have been revoked or renounced, is still a PR. All you need to do is remind CBP that an expired PR Card does allow a PR to enter Canada at a land PoE. It is only a requirement from commercial carriers that all PRs of Canada have a valid PRC to travel, not a requirement from CBSA. A valid PR Card, is recommended of course.

npjc

May 8, 2023
Hi Bricksonly, sorry, i didn't express clearly. I meant at the Seattle airport US customs. Thanks anyway!

npjc

May 8, 2023
No, they (TSA or US CBP) probably would not ask those questions. Instead, they would probably ask your address in the US and how long your visit in the US. If you don't have an US address, then just tell them your plans of going to the POE / land border with your expired PR card to Canada.
Got you, thanks a lot, Steaky!

npjc

May 8, 2023
Will you be travelling to the States under the visa waiver program, or do you have a visa?

Note that the visa waiver program normally requires you to have a return ticket or an onward flight that does not terminate in Canada or Mexico.

However:
"Citizens of VWP countries* who reside in Mexico, Canada, or a nearby island are generally exempted from the requirement to show onward travel to another country* when entering the United States."
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visa-waiver-program.html

In practice, you may never be asked, and it's up to you if that's a risk you want to take. But it would probably still be best to book a return flight or an onward ticket that does not terminate in Canada or Mexico.
Besram, I forgot to mention, I have a valid US B1/B2 visa

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
An expired PR card is usually sufficient evidence (at least to CBSA) that the card holder was a PR...and unless the status is shown to have been revoked or renounced, is still a PR. All you need to do is remind CBP that an expired PR Card does allow a PR to enter Canada at a land PoE. It is only a requirement from commercial carriers that all PRs of Canada have a valid PRC to travel, not a requirement from CBSA. A valid PR Card, is recommended of course.
Not sure why you would think a US border agency would be aware of Canadian immigration rules. Unless actively working at a border US border agents have minimal knowledge of Canadian immigration policies.

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Not sure why you would think a US border agency would be aware of Canadian immigration rules. Unless actively working at a border US border agents have minimal knowledge of Canadian immigration policies.
I was misleading too...have no idea what OP is worried with CBP other than CBSA for his PR status...