+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PGWP 18 months extension apply online detailed released (Jan 27. 2021 new)

nshah13

Jan 22, 2021
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students/pgwp-extend.html

Who can apply
To be eligible for this open work permit, you must meet the following 5 requirements:

1. Your post-graduation work permit (PGWP)
    1. expired on or after January 30, 2020, or
    2. will expire within 4 months from the date you apply for this open work permit.
  2. You were in Canada as of January 27, 2021, when the public policy took effect, and have stayed in Canada since then.
  3. You either
    1. have a temporary resident status (this could be from having a valid PGWP, visitor record, or another permit that allows you to stay in Canada), or
    2. lost your temporary resident status, but you’ve already applied to restore it, or
    3. lost your temporary resident status, but you’ll apply to restore it at the same time as applying for this open work permit
  4. You include in your application that you’re applying for an open work permit under this public policy.
  5. You have a valid passport.
    1. The work permit will be issued for up to 18 months from the date of approval or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. For example, if your passport is valid for 6 months, then you will be issued an open work permit for 6 months.
    2. To maximize the duration of the open work permit, make sure your passport is valid for at least 18 months from the date of approval.
Hello Everyone,

If anyone can please guide me on this.

My PGWP expires on 25, November 2021.
Can I apply right now or I have to wait till 25th July, 2021.

Thanking you in advance.

nshah13

Jan 22, 2021
Hello Everyone,

Thanking you in advance.

sponsort

Jun 14, 2018
Hello Everyone,

Thanking you in advance.
You can only apply when your permit is 4 months to expire.

nshah13

Jan 22, 2021
You can only apply when your permit is 4 months to expire.
Hey, wlaroshi

Thank you so much for the quick reply, I really appreciate it. I have one last question, I have a valid work permit till November 25, 2021.
Can I travel to India from mid May to mid June as I have to apply for an extension on July 25,2021.

Thanking you in advance.

Chathurkwy

Mar 10, 2021
Hi,
My PGWP will expire on 15th of Dec,2021. As of this, if I apply in between 15th of Aug to 15th of Dec, will I get this 18 months extension ? Because I saw IRCC mentioned that applicant should apply this pgwp extension by 27th of July, 2021.
Thank You

Reactions: Frank659

sponsort

Jun 14, 2018
Hi,
My PGWP will expire on 15th of Dec,2021. As of this, if I apply in between 15th of Aug to 15th of Dec, will I get this 18 months extension ? Because I saw IRCC mentioned that applicant should apply this pgwp extension by 27th of July, 2021.
Thank You
You won't get it because the deadline is July and you can only apply for it 4 months before your permit expire.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey, wlaroshi

Thank you so much for the quick reply, I really appreciate it. I have one last question, I have a valid work permit till November 25, 2021.
Can I travel to India from mid May to mid June as I have to apply for an extension on July 25,2021.

Thanking you in advance.
No - you can't unfortunately. You need to remain in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/students/pgwp-extend.html

To be eligible for this open work permit, you must meet the following 5 requirements:

2. will expire within 4 months from the date you apply for this open work permit.
  2. You were in Canada as of January 27, 2021, when the public policy took effect, and have stayed in Canada since then.

nshah13

Jan 22, 2021
Hello Scylla,

Thank you so much for the reply, I really appreciate it but my doubt is that it kind of doesn't make sense as I am already on a valid Work Permit till November 25, 2021 so I am eligible for travel irrespective of the extension if not taken this condition into consideration for a moment.

I think this condition should be for the people whose work permit is expired as of now or anywhere before 27, Jan 2021.

I called the IRCC they told the same as you, I called CanadaVisa lawyer they told me I can travel.

I know it's confusing as it's not explicitly mentioned.

But once again thank you for the reply!!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How did you know? Did you call IRCC?
This is specifically mentioned in the instructions. There's no need to call IRCC.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Scylla,

Thank you so much for the reply, I really appreciate it but my doubt is that it kind of doesn't make sense as I am already on a valid Work Permit till November 25, 2021 so I am eligible for travel irrespective of the extension if not taken this condition into consideration for a moment.

I think this condition should be for the people whose work permit is expired as of now or anywhere before 27, Jan 2021.

I called the IRCC they told the same as you, I called CanadaVisa lawyer they told me I can travel.

I know it's confusing as it's not explicitly mentioned.

But once again thank you for the reply!!!
There was someone who called IRCC a few weeks ago and got the opposite response that you did. I'll see if I can find that post.

Anyway, the IRCC help desk is certainly known for giving out wrong answers.

You can certainly try doing as you've planned and hope it works out.

Good luck.

sponsort

Jun 14, 2018
How did you know? Did you call IRCC?
Apply for an open work permit under a public policy
Due to COVID-19, you may be eligible to apply for a one-time open work permit of up to 18 months if you apply online by July 27, 2021.
Who can apply
  3. You either
    1. have temporary resident status (this could be from having a valid PGWP, visitor record, or another permit that allows you to stay in Canada), or
    2. lost your temporary resident status, but you’ve already applied to restore it, or
    3. lost your temporary resident status, but you’ll apply to restore it at the same time as you apply for this open work permit
  4. You include in your application that you’re applying for an open work permit under this public policy.
    1. The work permit will be issued for up to 18 months from the date of approval or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. For example, if your passport is valid for 6 months, then you will be issued an open work permit for 6 months.
    2. To maximize the duration of the open work permit, make sure your passport is valid for at least 18 months from the date of approval.

Frank659

Nov 28, 2020
Apply for an open work permit under a public policy
Due to COVID-19, you may be eligible to apply for a one-time open work permit of up to 18 months if you apply online by July 27, 2021.
Who can apply
  3. You either
    1. have temporary resident status (this could be from having a valid PGWP, visitor record, or another permit that allows you to stay in Canada), or
    3. lost your temporary resident status, but you’ll apply to restore it at the same time as you apply for this open work permit
That does not mean that it might not be extended. Does it ?