+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired Permanent Residency.Please help me.

ce12321

Dec 31, 2018
Hello
I have an expired Canadian Permanent Residency Card which has been expired since January 2016 because I had to move with my parents outside Canada due to their job requirements and family issues although my dream was to live in Canada. I applied to the Canadian Universities as an International Student. My inquiries are
Can I apply as Permanent Resident to any Canadian University while I am abroad
Would any Canadian University consider me as domestic applicant having expired PR Card
Would The Canadian Embassy give me Visa as permanent resident
Once I am in Canada can I renew my PR card although I have not lived 735 days in Canada previously
Knowing my status, How can I take the privilege and benefit from lower tuition fees applied to domestic Canadian Students. What are the steps I need to take to benefit of lower tuition fees
Kindly Advise?

Thanks

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Assuming you were in Canada between Jan 2014 and Jan 2016, and met your residency obligation, you can apply for a PR travel document and fly back to Canada. Apply for universities as a PR and whatnot.

Assuming you haven't met your obligation in the past five years.
Technically, you are still a PR. So you can't apply for any type of temporary visa or permit. You can apply to universities as a PR, not an international student.
That being said, when you come back to Canada next time, you may, or may not be reported by CBSA for failing to meet your residency obligation. If you were reported, your PR status is very likely to be revoked eventually. If you were lucky enough to sneak through the border without being reported, you can stay in Canada as a PR and renew your PR card after two years .
You can't fly to Canada directly now that your PR card is no longer valid, and you won't be able to get a travel document. You'll have to go to the States first and come in on land

Last edited:

ce12321

Dec 31, 2018
thanks for the feedback/
So you are suggesting that once I get an acceptance from any Canadian university "hopefully in Ontario" I need to fly first to the US and then enter Canada by private vehicle
By the way I can fly to the US "Buffalo NY" and I can manage with Canadian Citizen residing in Toronto whom I know well to come and pick me up from Buffalo and drive to Canada. I do have my Permanent Residence Landing Form which I can present to the immigration office at the boarder.
Is it 100% guaranteed that I would be allowed to enter Canada with private vehicle and having expired PR?

On the other hand, why can not I apply to the Canadian Embassy and ask for travel document "Visa" stamped with Permanent resident status? isn't this way safer?

Thanks a lot

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
When did you leave Canada? How old are you now? Answering these questions may also help seniors who want to give their best educated guess about your situation.

You can certainly apply for a PRTD but if you haven’t met RO then it will most likely be refused.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Applying for a university should be the least of your concern right now.

You are guaranteed to be allowed into Canada at the border as you are a PR. That is your right. However once CBSA reports you for failing to meet the residency obligation. Your days as a PR is numbered.

If you apply for a travel document while you haven't met your residency obligation, the application is going to be rejected for sure. And IRCC will start the process to revoke your PR status.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
When did you leave Canada? How old are you now? Answering these questions may also help seniors who want to give their best educated guess about your situation.

You can certainly apply for a PRTD but if you haven’t met RO then it will most likely be refused.
to ce12321 you need to answer this question given if you were removed from Canada by your parents as a minor meaning you had no choice there is always the possibility of applying through H&C to retain your PR status regardless of failing the RO.

ce12321

Dec 31, 2018

I left Canada July 2011, I was 10 years old, I Had to leave Canada accompanying my parents who decided to reside outside Canada. I am really serious in my intention to study, work, and settle in Canada. I am so thirsty to be treated as PR for university tuitions, and retain my PR status and become a Canadian Citizen down the road

ce12321

Dec 31, 2018

You are guaranteed to be allowed into Canada at the border as you are a PR. That is your right. However once CBSA reports you for failing to meet the residency obligation. Your days as a PR is numbered.

Lets imagine as a bad case Scenario I will be allowed to enter Canada at the border, and CBSA would report me for failing residency obligation and my days will be getting numbered. I am willing to stay in Canada for 730 days to be able to renew my PR. During these 730 days, having expired PR I wont be able to benefit from reduced tuition fees, wont be able to renew my health card, issue driving license, etc.

If you apply for a travel document while you haven't met your residency obligation, the application is going to be rejected for sure. And IRCC will start the process to revoke your PR status.
Would it be rejected Even if I write in the Travel Document application "to the local Canadian Embassy" that I was not able to meet residency obligation due to the fact that I was minor and had to be removed from Canada by my parents and the decision was not mine during the 5 year PR validity. By the way my PR validity is from Feb 2011 to Feb 2016.

ce12321

Dec 31, 2018
to ce12321 you need to answer this question given if you were removed from Canada by your parents as a minor meaning you had no choice there is always the possibility of applying through H&C to retain your PR status regardless of failing the RO.
My PR card validity was from Feb 2011 to Feb 2016, I was removed from Canada by my parents when I was 10 years old. What does H&C stand for? How can I use the H&C to retain my PR status? to whom I should apply using the H&C? what forms I need to use?

By the way I will be reaching 18 year old next April. I am pretty serious in studying, settling, and live in Canada permanently.

ce12321

Dec 31, 2018

If I enter Canada by the border and CBSA reported failing residency obligation, and days started counting. Technically if I prove that I stayed 730 days from date of my entry I will be eligible to renew my PR status, right?
what if I want to leave Canada for temporarily visit to the US for example during the 730 days, would I be allowed to re-enter Canada one more time from the boarder?
thanks

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Ok since you were removed by your parents from Canada as a minor then you could apply under H&C ground to keep your status. If you are just turning 18 then you still have good chance.
This thread might be helpful for you.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/renewal-of-permanent-residency-card-on-h-c-grounds.505367/#post-6164291
Do your research, thoroughly search this forum. There're probably other similar threads.

If you want to apply for a travel document from your home country. Read the section in instruction guide regarding humanitarian and compassionate grounds
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

Last edited:

ce12321

Dec 31, 2018
Ok since you were removed by your parents from Canada as a minor then you could apply under H&C ground to keep your status. If you are just turning 18 then you still have good chance.
This thread might be helpful for you.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/renewal-of-permanent-residency-card-on-h-c-grounds.505367/#post-6164291
Do your research, thoroughly search this forum. There're probably other similar threads.

If you want to apply for a travel document from your home country. Read the section in instruction guide regarding humanitarian and compassionate grounds
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-permanent-resident-travel-document.html
Hello
I have some other queries and points please
1-Let's assume I applied for a PRTD through H&C ground, and got the travel document, then I travel to Canada , can I automatically renew my PR before starting University (I mean can I automatically renew my PR once I reach Canada due to the fact I entered with PRTD)?
2- Due to the fact that this Travel document TD is a visa which is stamped on the passport and will allow me to enter Canada only once, How can I prove to the university Permanent Residency status without having valid PR to benefit from the reduced tuition?
3- Also I need to renew my heath card which in deed needs valid PR card
4- Also driving license needs valid PR card
Therefore, would this TD automatically allow me to renew my PR card right away or I need to live for 730 days to renew?

Thanks

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
Your PR status doesn't need to be "renewed". It never expires unless revoked by IRCC or if you become a citizen. The only thing that needs to be renewed is the PR card which is merely an ID for travel.
You can use your COPR to prove your PR status while in Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your PR status doesn't need to be "renewed". It never expires unless revoked by IRCC or if you become a citizen. The only thing that needs to be renewed is the PR card which is merely an ID for travel.
Many provinces and universities require valid PR cards actually.

ce12321

Dec 31, 2018
What does COPR stand for?
Can I renew my PR card right away once I enter Canada with PRTD, or I need to wait and live for 730 days